EOSHD testing finds Canon EOS R5 overheating to be fake

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, Mandalorian said:

Yeah, Peter McKinnon has been real silent on the overheating issue lately.

In fact, he is back to using the 1-DX Mk III as his daily vlog camera, and not an R5 in sight. 

Realistically, since he is paid by Canon, he will never be an impartial reviewer and shouldn't ever be treated as such.

How do you know he's using the 1DX 3? I know he's been quiet on the R5 but last I'd seen, he and Matti were making fun of anyone disappointed in the R5.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I haven’t seen anything about him using the 1D3 either, but then again I’ve only occasionally watch his videos anymore. I really do think the R5 is a huge embarrassment and as time has gone on the hype has worn off and people are starting to vocalize their displeasure with the R5.

But I think Canon is going to just ignore it and push out more RF products and pivot by saying the R5 and R6 were photography only cameras (please forget about the all the video spec hype we did). And then the resale value of the R5 will tank because there will be so many on the second hand market.

But Canon can pretty much do anything because there are sooo many Canon users and fanboys (yes there is a difference) that will give Canon a pass.

What really bugs me is when they say some company sent them the product but they are not sponsored and that we will get an honest review. It's like wtf. The whole reason your channel has relevancy is because these companies send you these products early for you to do your 'honest' review which consists of gushing over how awesome the product is except for one little flaw that's not a big deal.

Let's be real, these guys cream all over themselves to exchange emails with companies like Sony and Canon and Apple and Samsung about new product launches and there is no way they can be objective at all regardless of whether they say its sponsored or not. Either they got the product early or they are building their channel up to get the product early. And you can't do that by burning bridges.

So to mediate this conundrum they find themselves in they say they did not send the video to be checked. Doesn't matter. They are psychologically chained to make sure they keep these corporations happy so they can keep getting their emails and possibility of early product reviews.

They keep the video 95% positive and then mention some weak point every one already knows while basically showing a 10 minute commercial of tracking shots of said product.

They then every once in a while pick a product from a smaller company to trash or do a really honest review not concerned with a backlash from that company.

The only exception is when the corporation releases a real stinker of a product and everyone knows which gives them cover to post an 'honest' review.

These people are basically marketing mouthpieces and pretend like they are doing us a service when they are just basically a new cog in an overhyped consumerist economy.

4 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

But I think Canon is going to just ignore it and push out more RF products and pivot by saying the R5 and R6 were photography only cameras (please forget about the all the video spec hype we did). And then the resale value of the R5 will tank because there will be so many on the second hand market.

Indeed they will ignore it and just push out more RF products. The R5 resale value will not tank anytime soon. Just look at the 5DIV, it was released at a high price with unusable crop 4k MJPEG. Maybe it was not as successful as the 5DII and 5DIII, but still sold a lot and they never fixed the video side.

Canon must, at the very least, give us an unlimited 4k 60p crop mode in a firmware update as well as remove the stupid  30min recording cap. I wouldn't mind using this camera in S35 oversampled mode for video. Even for Stills, in some situations, the 20Mpix crop mode would be more thant enough for me and even more convenient sometimes. With EF lenses and speedbooster it would even be possible to have a full frame field of view and depth of field  video and photo camera with 20mpix photos. Well,  A X-t4 is more  than that for a lot less.  Bad ergonomics though and far less effective AF as far as I have seen. The 120p 4k mode could be limited to 2min clips for me but the recovery time would have to be no more than 5 min. 8k I consider a photo mode. Too limited to be considered a true video mode. 

The R6 seems even more crippled as the downsample and data rates seams easier handle. This one needs an unlimited mode.  

8 hours ago, mechanicalEYE said:

I know he's been quiet on the R5 but last I'd seen, he and Matti were making fun of anyone disappointed in the R5.

This whole debarcle has bitten McKinnon hard on the ass.

He's more than happily taken Canon's $ over the years, pushed them heavily and is arguably the most popular Canon YT'er out there - the face of Canon on YT.

Then he complains people are ripping on him about the R5. Err, hello, you heavily promoted it buddy! Even made a video saying he shot a video with the R5 that didn't overheat.

Next he dismisses people raising issues with the R5 that they aren't real content creators. Again, err hello McFly, Andrew Reid, Philip Bloom, Gerald Undone etc etc etc.

Any reputation McKinnon may have had is in tatters.

8 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

What really bugs me is when they say some company sent them the product but they are not sponsored and that we will get an honest review. It's like wtf. The whole reason your channel has relevancy is because these companies send you these products early for you to do your 'honest' review which consists of gushing over how awesome the product is except for one little flaw that's not a big deal.

Let's be real, these guys cream all over themselves to exchange emails with companies like Sony and Canon and Apple and Samsung about new product launches and there is no way they can be objective at all regardless of whether they say its sponsored or not. Either they got the product early or they are building their channel up to get the product early. And you can't do that by burning bridges.

So to mediate this conundrum they find themselves in they say they did not send the video to be checked. Doesn't matter. They are psychologically chained to make sure they keep these corporations happy so they can keep getting their emails and possibility of early product reviews.

They keep the video 95% positive and then mention some weak point every one already knows while basically showing a 10 minute commercial of tracking shots of said product.

They then every once in a while pick a product from a smaller company to trash or do a really honest review not concerned with a backlash from that company.

The only exception is when the corporation releases a real stinker of a product and everyone knows which gives them cover to post an 'honest' review.

These people are basically marketing mouthpieces and pretend like they are doing us a service when they are just basically a new cog in an overhyped consumerist economy.

No, IMO they are just, in their inner deep, simple moral prostitutes. Their living depends of cheap showcase flirting with internet visitors of their shopwindows. Even their idiotic sugary versions of unison quasi friendly calling to you at the beginning of their luring IBIS dance - is echo of prostitute's behavior, of course not at all so honestly open and much more sophisticated vulgar. Look just at that blondе - so much effort to look funny, intimate and close, so much usage of space as (his and his co-prostitutes) smiling brothel.

• Administrators

What really bugs me is when they say some company sent them the product but they are not sponsored and that we will get an honest review. It's like wtf.

Yeah their get-out clause is always "I wasn't paid!"

That isn't the main thing. They have formed a relationship with an important company that is giving them relevance and an elevated pedestal online, Canon even put McKinnon in the official R5 launch on the same platform as their Japanese bosses.

Is he really going to turn around and bite that hand...

7 minutes ago, anonim said:

No, IMO they are just, in their inner deep, simple moral prostitutes. Their living depends of cheap showcase flirting with internet visitors of their shopwindows.

A good way to put it 🙂

Let's be real, these guys cream all over themselves to exchange emails with companies like Sony and Canon and Apple and Samsung about new product launches

It is a stampede to get noticed and be relevant.

Although they may not get paid for reviews, they DO get paid for speaking on behalf of big companies at events like Photokina.

They DO get their expensive travel plans and hotels paid for and sometimes a trip to a tropical island.

If they were upfront about all this, it would amount to a big YES I DO GET PAID.

Just be honest about it.

I want guys like Peter to do a video with a big gurning AMAZED face saying "YES I AM A BIASED PROSTITUTE"

Sadly I feel the audience responds to this!

They love it and come back for more.

They fall for it hook line and sinker every time!

If they didn't, companies like Canon would not bother giving out the cameras.

Yep seen a few of those too.