EOSHD testing finds Canon EOS R5 overheating to be fake

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-r5-firmware-update-coming-soon-raw-light-to-be-added-cr2/

^A firmware update is coming soon, but according to the rumor it will add "Increased record time limits (but don’t expect a huge boost)".

My guess is Canon intended to cripple the R5/R6 higher end video modes but got carried away. They probably intended to give the R5/R6 the published record times for higher end video modes (and nothing more), but didn't fully optimize the firmware cripple since such things are a bit hard to get right if you are in a rush to release the cameras.

If this "firmware fix" that Canon rolls out only allows for the published record times and nothing more, then I still think the R5/R6 will be terrible for hybrid shooters.

Moreover, we shouldn't be supporting a company that is so clearly crippling its products all in the name of product segmentation.

You started a shitstorm.
It will be hard to hide as such testing can be repeated by anyone with the camera.
Well done and thanks for not following the regular flow.
IT also gives some hope to get this fixed easily by firmware.

Let wait your article being repost until Canon got it in front of their desk.

As I look across the room at my Canon bodies and absolute treasure of Canon glass, I'm feeling kind of embarrassed at being a Canon fanboy for so many years. If this kind of behavior is the reward for decades of loyalty then Canon does not understand the lifetime value of a customer!

F*ck them. If this test gets confirmed elsewhere I am cancelling my pre-order and getting a Lumix S1H and S1R.

6 minutes ago, Wild Ranger said:

That's whats I was thinking. Nobody (more even youtubers) will care if the camera "had issues".

The problem is I don't think Canon is going to "fix" the issue since it was never really a problem for them.

They probably intended to cripple the higher end video modes but got carried away.

Canon Rumors is reporting that the rumored firmware is going to do the following:

• Addition of Cinema RAW light option to 8K recording
  • Addition of CLog 3
  • Increased record time limits (but don’t expect a huge boost)
  • Various bug fixes

They are probably going to increase the record times to match the stated record limits that they published but not much more.

The R5/R6 still won't be great for hybrid shooters since the published record limits were really short.

7 minutes ago, ajay said:

If they do increase the record limits, then we will have real proof this is a smoke and mirrors trick by Canon.

Do we need anything new to already know it? ; )

It's embarrassing to say the least...

38 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

Moreover, we shouldn't be supporting a company that is so clearly crippling its products all in the name of product segmentation.

1992. A further VP of Sony Europe told me to count on it along my career because these practices are part of this industry.

2020. A couple of new novelties today though: digital revolution and internet.

What if they made an adjustment that gave you 45min of 4k HQ, 8k at 25min and4k 120p at 20min and recovery time at 60 minutes max. Would that be enough?

This is all kind of silly if they do. It would still be crippled and everyone would be trying to calculate if it would be usable or not.

Why are we even messing with Canon at this point? Not worth the frustration.