I bought a Canon EOS R5 - potential overheating solutions

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, horshack said:

Try a battery pull while the camera is still on, both just after stopping a record and if that doesn't extend the subsequent recording time, while the video is actually recording. Check if the camera "remembers" the remaining time limit available when you plug the battery back in (details here).

I tried this.

I turned the camera on let it sit at idle with no card in camera, once I got the overheat warning, I shut the camera down. 

I then grabbed my 1TB cfexpress card put it in camera, and the time allowance for HQ recording read 10 minutes.

Started a recording, changed aperture, and iso, as soon as you open the battery door camera shuts down, pulled battery and reinserted the battery.

All values were as left at shut down, and 10 minute limit remained.

36 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

I tried this.

I turned the camera on let it sit at idle with no card in camera, once I got the overheat warning, I shut the camera down. 

I then grabbed my 1TB cfexpress card put it in camera, and the time allowance for HQ recording read 10 minutes.

Started a recording, changed aperture, and iso, as soon as you open the battery door camera shuts down, pulled battery and reinserted the battery.

I wonder if this strange battery door “feature” is to avoid the battery being pulled? What other Canon camera has ever done this? Any camera at all?

And how would you use a dummy battery for DC power?

7 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

So it is idle with no card... yet still overheating warning shuts it down?

Yet with an HDMI cable attached it doesn't do this.

More fakery from Canon, in my opinion.

Yes with card in camera but at idle ( not flipping through menus or anything ) no operation other than being powered on.... STRANGE. 

Camera doesn't provide any time info until a card is inserted in camera, with card inserted, at idle, the camera threw overheat warning at 22 minutes indoors in cool air. Thats half the time than when I was recording continuously for 37 minutes through external recorder indoors and outdoors in smoldering heat. 

I don't think ambient temps  play much of  a role at all. Seems this whole deal is set in motion the minute you select HQ or high frame rate modes.

This is all software in my eyes.

26 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

What's your recovery time like?

I just had mine sat for an hour and a half, but couldn't get more than 5 min of 8K on the clock

That is absurdly fake.

The camera body was even cold to the touch.

I'm experiencing the same with recovery. My R5 is currently showing 15 minutes of record time available in HQ, this is after the camera has sat for two hours.

Camera is cold to the touch as well.

3 hours ago, mechanicalEYE said:

I tried this.

Thanks. It's not clear you tried the specific experiment I outlined. The battery should be pulled while the camera is recording internally to the card (abrupt shutdown), somewhere near where it would thermally shutdown. Then the battery should be put back in and check what the available recording time the camera reports.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

What's your recovery time like?

I just had mine sat for an hour and a half, but couldn't get more than 5 min of 8K on the clock

That is absurdly fake.

The camera body was even cold to the touch.

In this test the user was able to get the full 15:00 available following a thermal shutdown after just 25 minutes in the freezer.

3 minutes ago, horshack said:

Thanks. It's not clear you tried the specific experiment I outlined. The battery should be pulled while the camera is recording internally to the card (abrupt shutdown), somewhere near where it would thermally shutdown. Then the battery should be put back in and check what the available recording time the camera reports.

Yeah, I pulled battery while camera was recording. As soon as you open the battery door, camera shots off anyway. Pulled battery and then reinserted battery, available time did not change.

12 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Yeah, I pulled battery while camera was recording. As soon as you open the battery door, camera shots off anyway. Pulled battery and then reinserted battery, available time did not change.

Thanks. The fact the camera shuts off as soon as you open the battery door means it's using battery-door sensor to perform an orderly shutdown before you get a chance to remove the battery. Unfortunately that makes the experiment more difficult to execute. The only way around it would be to find where the battery door sensor is and manually hold the sensor in while the door is open, then do the video recording, then pull the battery.

14 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

and took battery out for too, wonder is that the reason to reset the timer?

I think others have tried battery removals without any effect on subsequent available recording times. The difference in this test vs any others I've read is he kept the body in the freezer for 25 minutes. That's much more definitive in disproving the firmware cripple timer theory than putting ice on the camera or adding better heat sinks.

You may want to check, but there is a button cell to keep the camera time
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Canon+EOS+5D+Mark+II+Clock+Battery+Replacement/31531
Look more for something like this to reset time.

If this reset the recovery time or recording time, it's the 100% proof that there is no valid temperature reading, but time based only

This is for 5D, but I guess 5R have something similar

5dcell.jpg