I bought a Canon EOS R5 - potential overheating solutions

Andrew Reid

1 minute ago, David Bowgett said:

only for Sony to throw them a major curveball with the A7Riv, leading Canon to hastily beef up the camera's video specs in order to prevent it from being dismissed as yesterday's news as soon as it was announced.

Canon are certainly shook up since the days of only having sights for Nikon as a competitor. They also strike me as a company to have things in the pipeline way off for shipping- maybe they added the HQ modes after the design was finalised, didn’t like the idea of making it too-useful a camera anyway, got in touch with Tilta for a 3rd party solution and threw caution to the wind.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, visionrouge said:

@Andrew.
Can you just drop the camera in your freezer and start recording?
There is no way overheating should happen there except if it's a software limitation.

+1

Put a gopro and a light in there to film what's happening on the screen. 

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-eos-r5-firmware-update-coming-soon-raw-light-to-be-added-cr2/

Come on Canon let's do it. C-LOG 3, light raw and remove your BS soft limitation so we can all be happy. 

23 minutes ago, Stronz said:

The Canon R5 is the No Man's Sky of cameras.

Meanwhile, the EOS R is looking like the Phantom Menace of cameras. Initially greeted with widespread groans and people saying "We waited all those years for THIS?", only for people to quickly soften their opinions on it after being even more disappointed with what came next.

This camera is an expensive EOS R mk2. Almost always you will be forced to record in the lineskipped 4K modes after one hour, no matter where you are shooting from arctic tundra to jungle. If you are ok with only having lineskipped 4K at 30p max then the camera is a OK upgrade from the EOS R.

Matt Johnson from WhoIsMatt tried to use it to film a wedding. His conclusion: be absolutely prepared to be shooting 4K 30p lined skipped 4K. And if you are a real video professional, then don’t get the R5. Spend your money more wisely.

Which is a real shame because a lot of other specs on this camera are very very nice. The AF is top notch, human and animal eye detection, size, weight, glass...it’s just a shame the 4K HQ isn’t the default recording mode because if it was this camera would be pretty damn amazing. I would recommend watching it. It’s one of the less bullshit filled videos out there on REAL WORLD use of the camera.

38 minutes ago, cameraeye said:

Stars Wars analogies do not bode well for future canon cameras.

LOL! Does that mean the 1dx3 mirrorless flagship will be as bad as the Vader Scream from Ep. 3?

Raw light would be a great addition along with Clog 3, but I still wonder what can be done about overheating with just FW updates.

49 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Thanks for sharing that video. This is one of the best reviews about this camera's heat related problems. The wedding simulation he did is spot-on and how weddings nowadays are recorded. I hope Canon sees this video and how they botched this camera's ability to shoot weddings.

• Administrators
43 minutes ago, Luis de la Cerda said:

Why not try to defeat the supposed artificial timer to probe for it's existence? Clock or firmware reset maybe?

Tried the clock and reset, hasn't worked so far but we'll keep probing.

1 minute ago, newfoundmass said:

Camera Conspiracies loves EOSHD

TONEH!!!!

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Tried the clock and reset, hasn't worked so far but we'll keep probing.

Try a battery pull while the camera is still on, both just after stopping a record and if that doesn't extend the subsequent recording time, while the video is actually recording. Check if the camera "remembers" the remaining time limit available when you plug the battery back in (details here).

15 minutes ago, horshack said:

Try a battery pull while the camera is still on, both just after stopping a record and if that doesn't extend the subsequent recording time, while the video is actually recording. Check if the camera "remembers" the remaining time limit available when you plug the battery back in (details here).

This is a good angle to try. Assuming it’s a software limit and the camera doesn’t detect and do a emergency power down write which it may do to protect data being written to card (ie, closing out the file being recorded so at least the movie file isn’t corrupted).

Just to correct (a little) my previous assumptions - I had only saw the pictures of the dissassembly, not the video. Now I saw the video, and there is a metal part between the smaller PCB board and the mainboard, where the thermal pads makes contact.

If this metal part had a heatpipe to draw the heat away, the problem could be minimized. IF the problem is really heat...