I bought a Canon EOS R5 - potential overheating solutions

Andrew Reid

8 minutes ago, Adrian Bacon said:

The fact that it can record any video at is a bonus.

3 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Someone should tell Canon’s marketing department that.

If only Canon told us this when they first announced the camera at the start of the year.  Instead of all this lovely news of 8K and 120fps 4K, and how it would unlock our filmaking, they had instead simply said -

"And if you can get any video with this camera, its a bonus."

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, SteveV4D said:

If only Canon told us this when they first announced the camera at the start of the year.  Instead of all this lovely news of 8K and 120fps 4K, and how it would unlock our filmaking, they had instead simply said -

"And if you can get any video with this camera, its a bonus."

You really couldn't make this stuff up....

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Adrian Bacon said:

It’s all a matter of perspective.

No it isn't. You're just making excuses now for not seeing it as it really is, and from the perspective of a video shooter to whom Canon is trying to sell this camera as "comfortable on a C300 III shoot"

I'm guessing you didn't even read much of what Canon said about the camera and how they described it for professional video, did you?

And at $4000 it isn't exactly a consumer camera.

Eh, the more people that get this camera in their hands and then have it shit the bed and piss all over your project shoot will find out eventually that its “all a matter of perspective”. Not so sure they will be happy they wasted their own time and money, and hopefully not their clients time and money (although extremely likely if they are naive; many are!).

• Administrators
54 minutes ago, Adrian Bacon said:

It’s not a professional video camera. If it were, Canon would have released it under their Cinema line.

Adrian here is the ultimate proof that people are blinkered idiots, that live under rocks. They miss long term trends and they even miss how millions of people use cameras differently to how they do.

As for professional camera for video... I refer you to the famous Canon EOS R5 marketing and PR statements!

https://www.eoshd.com/news/opinion-on-dpreviews-canon-eos-r5-overheating-test-in-4k/

Even Richard Butler at DPReview didn't absorb or register the Canon statements about professional video and cinematography use.

It's unbelievable it really is.

Why is the world so utterly full of chinless wonders who wander around the planet with their eyes half shut??

Can’t wait for Porsche to release a new 911 with 300 horsepower and a top speed of 200mph and a cruising speed of 100*

*top speed only achievable on a cloudy, 24C day. Cruising speed is only for a max of 30 mins, except when in 6th gear max cruising time is 15mins. 5th gear allows unlimited cruising time but suspension is disabled and top speed is disabled.

I don't understand.  Canon put record limits in the delivered documents and Sony doesn't mention record limits.  Yet Canon keeps getting articles about defrauding people and false advertising.  Why is this a double standard?

The R5 records video as advertised.  Not as expected but as advertised.

1 minute ago, Super8 said:

I don't understand.  Canon put record limits in the delivered documents and Sony doesn't mention record limits.  Yet Canon keeps getting articles about defrauding people and false advertising.  Why is this a double standard?

Why are people expecting it to when it is advertised as not?

3 minutes ago, cameraeye said:

But it’s not a bonus. Even if they didn’t market the video the way they did. You literally can’t use your “bonus” most of the time

Has anybody gotten it to overheat in standard 4K mode? Last time I checked, broadcast delivery standards where still 1080. Acquiring in line skipped 4K still results in a 1080 delivery that looks significantly better than if acquired in 1080. Just saying... we’re getting all bent out of shape over something that isn’t likely to significantly improve the image quality of standard delivery resolutions.  I’m not saying that having 4K HQ or 8K isn’t desirable. It is. It’s just that those Modes are best reserved for special shots, and getting them should be planned for accordingly..  as it is, shooting anything at 4K at any quality with the bit rates canon has been doing is really expensive on the rest of the video chain, especially if you shoot a lot of content. It’s just not viable to shoot a lot of 4K unless you have a big budget, and if you have a big budget, then why not get an appropriate camera?

14 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

No it isn't. You're just making excuses now for not seeing it as it really is, and from the perspective of a video shooter to whom Canon is trying to sell this camera as "comfortable on a C300 III shoot"

I’d like to see how the line skipped 4K output looks next to the 4K output of the C300 markIii. Maybe I’ll rent one and take a look.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Super8 said:

I don't understand.

That is evident.

Canon put record limits in the delivered documents and Sony doesn't mention record limits.  Yet Canon keeps getting articles about defrauding people and false advertising.

Ah so it's ok then. The whole release is hyped as an 8K pro video tool with 4k 120p but because Canon slipped some best-case scenario disclaimers into a CVP video, they're off the hook!

The real overheating data should go something like this:

8K from cold - 20 min if you're lucky

8K about 10 mins into a shoot - 10 mins maximum

8K after a few stills - 5 mins

8K limit after a few stills and the Wifi menu - 0 mins!

And the marketing should say something like:

"Getting through any kind of video shoot, even filming your pet poodle for 10 mins with the powerful new EOS R5??... You'll be lucky!"

That would be far more honest in my view.

But yeah, no false advertising!! Did you actually READ any of the PR or Canon website?

WHY DO PEOPLE NOT READ OR LEARN BASIC FACTS BEFORE SPOUTING OPINIONS???

“On the set of high-end productions such as commercials, dramas and documentaries, the EOS R5 is an ideal partner to the likes of Canon’s brand-new EOS C300 Mark III”

“Set to redefine mirrorless, today’s update confirms the incredible recording capabilities of the EOS R5 including internal 8K RAW up to 29.97fps and suitability with high-end production workflows”

“The EOS R5 boasts features seen only in high-end cinema cameras many times its price point and video features no other mirrorless camera on the market offers.”

“Created as a direct response to growing demand for content creators to shoot both high-quality film and stills, the EOS R5 holds its own as the lead camera in productions – going over and above industry standards and achieving outstanding 8K.”

Yeah sure. Sure it does.

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Adrian Bacon said:

Has anybody gotten it to overheat in standard 4K mode? Last time I checked, broadcast delivery standards where still 1080. Acquiring in line skipped 4K still results in a 1080 delivery that looks significantly better than if acquired in 1080. Just saying... we’re getting all bent out of shape over something that isn’t likely to significantly improve the image quality of standard delivery resolutions.  I’m not saying that having 4K HQ or 8K isn’t desirable. It is. It’s just that those Modes are best reserved for special shots, and getting them should be planned for accordingly..  as it is, shooting anything at 4K at any quality with the bit rates canon has been doing is really expensive on the rest of the video chain, especially if you shoot a lot of content. It’s just not viable to shoot a lot of 4K unless you have a big budget, and if you have a big budget, then why not get an appropriate camera?

Looks like our favourite Canon rep is pushing the line skipped 4K mode now!

What year is it, 2015?

How's this for an idea... You shoot JPEG 4 megapixel line skipped photos on your next shoot, and let's see you be the apologist then.

"But 45 megapixel is so hard on the photoshop chain!"

9 minutes ago, Adrian Bacon said:

I’m not saying that having 4K HQ or 8K isn’t desirable. It is. It’s just that those Modes are best reserved for special shots, and getting them should be planned for accordingly..

I get your POV, but you can’t even do that. I should have a dedicated R5 completely unused for the time I want 120 fps? And then if we don’t get the shot, I should have a second when the first overheats? If it even can record anything at all?

9 minutes ago, Adrian Bacon said:

It’s just not viable to shoot a lot of 4K unless you have a big budget, and if you have a big budget, then why not get an appropriate camera?

Been shooting 4K professionally since 2014.  No I don't have a big budget, but it is viable for me.  

One moment you're touting the 8K on the R5 and the next, you're saying shoot 1080p.  Its a real roller coaster with you.

20 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Why is the world so utterly full of chinless wonders who wander around the planet with their eyes half shut??

That’s because there are smart people, however mankind in general is pretty dumb, panic prone, and has a herd mentality.

i should note that I don’t claim to be one of the smart ones. I do dumb things all the time despite my best effort not to. Most of the people on this planet aren’t that different from me, whether they’re willing to publicly admit it or not.  It must be maddening for smart people, though there’s not a whole lot I can do about it.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Adrian Bacon said:

i should note that I don’t claim to be one of the smart ones.

Yes that much is clear I'm afraid. To be quite honest, I don't want to hear any more bullshit from you. So please take yourself off to a different forum.

35 minutes ago, Super8 said:

Canon has more consistent overheating, issues, which is software regulated, so they have to publish some figures in the manual to address this, as you do get visible countdowns before you hit record; but if it is controlled too much by software, and we feel this is also being used to limit the camera or cripple it as many would say, rather than just protect it as it should, then clearly people will be annoyed.

With Sony, I feel it is more random, and less regulated by software.  No countdown timer, so no official figures to drawer upon.  With the A7siii still in the preproduction phase rather than out now, its harder to known the full extent of the problem.  I've seen inconsistent reports, some are done with no overheating, and a few that have.  Recovery time seems to be shorter, which is the real issue of the Canon.  When it comes out, I would expect greater focus on the issues, as happens with all camera releases.  Though every indication is that its less severe than Canon.  

• Administrators

So going back to the actual internal design of the EOS R5...

The questions Canon need to answer are:

1. Why is a circuit board sitting between the main CPU and back casing, blocking the heat from spreading away into the chassis

2. Of course, why is there no thermal conductive material on the CPU?

3. And why does the RAM thermal pad overlap onto the CPU, but not entirely cover it? (It seems to spread the heat from the RAM onto the CPU which is never a good idea).

4. Why does ice not cool the camera and speed up recovery time? The firmware recovery countdown timer is so slow to go back up and always the same.

And indeed they will be asked via my contact at Canon UK.

And I won't let up until they answer.

If they don't answer, they have something to hide obviously.