I bought a Canon EOS R5 - potential overheating solutions

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

It is indeed.

But for Canon to fix this they might have to admit they lied to their customers, which isn't a great look to be honest

https://www.eoshd.com/news/chinese-user-modifies-canon-eos-r5-to-improve-heat-management-but-finds-artificial-firmware-time-limit/

1 hour ago, Wild Ranger said:

"It seems as soon as there is a card inserted, an overheating countdown timer starts, but doesn’t apply when an HDMI device is attached and the card removed"

These get very fishy. I had commented in another post about suspicion and my crazy paraonic theory that the overheating limit is only a limit made by firmware, nobody believed me... Now I believe it more firmly, but we still have to wait for the truth to come out.
For me, Canon's credibility is at stake in all of this.

The guy in that chinese owner thread let aircon blow for half hour after the camera overheated,  it can still only do 5min 8k or 10min 4k even though the body is really cold and even got condensation around it, so definitely some dodgy firmware trick there..

Imagine if Canon created a breakthrough sensor with low RS, good DR, 8k and doesn’t overheat- but exactly like the 5dIII after the II thought, ‘we can’t give them something this good, let’s cripple it’. But then they cripple it too much on the secret insider cripple-o-meter and get caught because if they uncripple it everyone will know.

Canonrumors just posted an article finishing with « As pointed out by EOSHD,  why does not of this matter when recording externally? I and others think it’s probably some kind of software limit.»

I like that more sites point that out as it seems most of the usual sites like Dpreview are very very shy in pointing out what Canon did here. 

• Administrators

Maybe I should shut up now and let DPReview take over.

Let's see if they take a lead on this issue.

If they don't, we know the score.

Ah, in fact we already know the score so I needn't bother!

And the fact that Jordan is an ex-salesman tells you a lot.

• Administrators

The camera seems to completely ignore ambient temp

It carries on ticking the clock down... 15 mins, 10 mins, 5 mins...

This is after just 1m 3sec of 8K recording, the rest of the time the camera was sat idle in live-view (8K enabled in the menus).

The video mode you enable in the menu seems to set the timer.

And after that not even liquid nitrogen seems to make the counter go up.

All seems very fishy to me.

I was down to 5 mins after applying the ice.

To the touch the camera felt like an iceberg from top to bottom. I even had it on a bag of frozen chips at one point, but realised the chips were melting and I wanted to eat them for dinner the next day.

2 hours ago, ajay said:

Is there any mention of improved recovery time? That's the other factor. Is the crazy recovery times due to temperature or firmware? If it's firmware, there's no hope other than Canon to fix it.

He shot 15min 8K All-I (no overheating warning showed up). Turned off for 10min, then kept going non-stop till the 512GB card was full.

But, when he shot 20min 8K until the camera auto shut off, then cooled the camera to ice cold with an AC, he could only shoot additional 5min of 8K.

FLIR camera showed the CMOS at 44C and CPU/main board at 69C when the camera auto shut off.

• Super Members
27 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Canonrumors just posted an article finishing with « As pointed out by EOSHD,  why does not of this matter when recording externally? I and others think it’s probably some kind of software limit.»

I like that more sites point that out as it seems most of the usual sites like Dpreview are very very shy in pointing out what Canon did here. 

These people you mean ?

1050383297_ScreenShot2020-07-24at19_13_35.png.3ac4d1ac757b6507e6e399855b9c3604.png

They can get to fuck over this to be honest after dismissing this issue out of hand and instigating that Twitter pile on when @Andrew Reid raised it.

After that, any "article" they write about this should always open with  "As pointed out by EOSHD but completely ridiculed by us because it was ruining our launch bliss and for which we now unreservedly apologise..."

Maybe you just need to throw those ice cubes away and be more positive and it will go away @Andrew Reid

It's beginning to evolve as great scenario for future feature film: tenacious whistler vs system. And by "system" I don't mean so much on Canon (its behavior was more or less expected) but on those established gang of sugary annoying first youtube testers. Actually, their ambiguous comments were - now it is obvious - completely in line with Canon strategy, carefully measured, tempered and servile mislead. What is especially disgusting is how all of them now again carefully correct and upgrade their first reports. Really not at all new story, but always so insipid.

Yeah, everything in this case is VERY strange.

I will go back to the pics of the camera internals (I was an electronic technician ages ago, but our @BTM_Pix could give a much more helpful opinion): or these pics are false, or I missed something, or Canon engineers made mistakes that a newbie electronic student would not do.

First: the two thermal pads, besides not covering the CPU, are completely useless. According to the pics, above the mainboard there is another smaller board; hence the thermal pads did not conduct the heat to a spreader, but to ANOTHER BOARD?

Second: looks like that a big metal spreader exists BEHIND the main board, with a single pad. Canon is trying to dissipate the heat this way? It would be the most inneficient method to do it. If they wanted that structure (the 9th picture in the article) to serve as a heatsink, the CPU and the memory chips should be mounted in the other side of the mainboard. It is utterly stupid.

The hipotesis that the pictures could have something wrong is because of the first pic, that shows the back of the back panel of the camera. The gray part looks like magnesium, and there are some "squares" there that looks like to fit some chips on the board, but it is completely different from the smaller board that goes over the mainboard. The rest seems legit - but completely absurd engineering.

To solve this, using that big metal part as a heat spreader, they should kind of flip the board layout, but mantaining the actual connectors in each side. This means a completely new desgined mainboard - and it is not the best solution, that metal structure is closer to the sensor, and the heat could bring noise to the sensor.

Don't see to much room for a heatpipe to conduct the heat to the bottom of the camera (the best solution on my view).

If this pictures are real, it is one of the must dumb designs ever.

3 hours ago, Adrian Bacon said:

Correction: you bought a seriously expensive stills photography first camera that just happens to have the ability to record pretty high quality video, NOT a video first camera that just happens to record stills. If you intend to use this camera for video first, you shouldn’t be expecting reliable high end cinema performance in a stills camera form factor.  

This is the nonsense I see on DpReview.  Apparently the camera is excused for not working reliably as its not a Professional video camera.  So why does it have 8K RAW, or 120fps 4K then?  Why provide such top video features only to cripple them?  And why is it so wrong to wish that they work as the customer requires, especially if you're paying over £4k for it.  I have video and photo functions on my phone.  Its neither a dedicated video or photo camera, yet I still expect these functions to work reliably.  Basic stuff.  How well would a phone do, if it advertised a limit on say web browsing.  You get 15 mins then it overheats and you'll have to switch off for a few hours before you can browse again.  It would be laughed at.

Canons description of the overheating limits is half a story.  There are some crucial inconsistencies their figures don't address.  Canon offered us a hybrid camera and advertised it as such.  The S1H is also a hybrid and not a true cinema camera; yet is far more reliable shooting HQ video.  Compare the R5 to that and not cinema cameras and you'll see what some of us were actually hoping for.

11 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Its neither a dedicated video or photo camera, yet I still expect these functions to work reliably.

Year after year it goes on.
Perhaps EOSHD needs a qualified psychologist to help us all deal with... expectations.

Somewhere on the Isle of Japan, a suited and booted man leans back into his leather armchair, and grins.