Great Audio Loudness/Maximizing Plugin - Boost by UrsaDSP

majoraxis

Hi,

I found great plugin for you guys to check out. It seems to work find in Resolve (the current new 16 public beta version, I'm on the Studio version).

Boost by UrsaDSP is a compressor, limiter, upward expander and saturator.

What it allows you to do is to make your tracks sit in the mix by bring your low volume information up, compressing regular volume information and limiting the peaks as well as choosing to enhance the signal further with saturation (labeled Drive) which is available when you turn off Punch which is transient enhancement (which I am not currently using, I use Drive instead.)

UrsaDSP plugins is distributed by Devious Machines at deviousmachines.com, where you can download the demo. They also have a discounted intro price of £39.99 (about $52 when I purchased today).

Anyways, I find making things sound louder and better at the same time is a difficult problem to solve.  From my experience Boost is fantastic a solving this problem.  It can also be use across your mix, though I have not tried it on a full mix yet.  BTW - I have no affiliation with UrsaDSP, but they have been responsive on the Gearslutz forum when I found out  about this plugin.  Video below...

Finally, it is super easy to use.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for the link to the compressor!

Instead of using compression with Boost, I do large level adjustments with volume automation and more subtle ridding of the level with a plugin that is design to ride the volume of the track (in my case DialogueEnhance by Accentize).   Once the signal is fairly even level wise, Boost allows me to make it full like as if it had been well recorded and compressed. It basically allows me to make the recording sound full on the quieter sections, which typically sound less full and less compressed. 

If you have trouble making the volume level of your tracks sound even and equally full for softer passages, give Boost a try.

6 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Looking for ways to get normalize audio dynamics when people are speaking

https://accusonus.com/products/audio-repair/era-voice-leveler

We got that for 8$ during black friday. Depending on how much and what noise is in the background it does a good or not as good job. We intended it to be used for leveling out speech from stage, but for now it sounded funky due to lots of ambient noise and hiss. But the leveling part seem to be pretty good.

It will be interesting if there is a plugin designed specifically for handling spoken word (like an interview), but I take it this plugin is not? 

Anyway the price is pretty cheap for a good compressor. I used to learn mixing so I got plenty of plugins lying around, but this one looks quite interesting and convenient. May give it a try later. 😀

17 hours ago, no_connection said:

https://accusonus.com/products/audio-repair/era-voice-leveler

We got that for 8$ during black friday. Depending on how much and what noise is in the background it does a good or not as good job. We intended it to be used for leveling out speech from stage, but for now it sounded funky due to lots of ambient noise and hiss. But the leveling part seem to be pretty good.

I have ERA Voice Leveler as well.  I compared it to DialogueEnhance by Accentize.,  They are different in the way they ride the level.  DialogueEnhance makes the track have a more even/consistent level.  It is 57€, but also has noise reduction, eq and compression as well as leveling.  It is all AI driven so it a great place to start with to get your signal in the ball park and then use your other plugins to dial in further if necessary.