Let's talk about Sony A7S III overheating

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

Since Sony is using the camera body as a heat sink, putting on a cage should help since less of the body would be exposed to direct sunlight.

Well, if the heat sink work, the sun hitting the cage will keep the camera in a heated nest more than cooling it.
This article is about external heat geting to the camera. 
A "non heat conductive cage material" will work to protect your camera better than a conductive one.

Does Panasonic have a patient on mirrorless body with internal fan?   I know this is a stupid question but we have Sony and Canon having issues with overheating and the S1H looking golden because it doesn't overheat.

Crazy things have had patients placed on them until challenged.

I do not think the A7s iii NEEDS a fan.      At least not for the vast majority who will use it and especially if all you have to do is keep it out of direct sun in hot environments as much as possible.       Not much different to weather sealing.     I would not rely on Sony weather sealing in pouring rain but there are work arounds (I have used an A7/a7s in rain but not for longer periods and not in a downpour).

I am not sure I would want a fan in a camera unless it really was needed as it just adds more complexity and something else that can break as well as an increase in size.   Others will differ.

1 hour ago, Super8 said:

Does Panasonic have a patient on mirrorless body with internal fan?   I know this is a stupid question but we have Sony and Canon having issues with overheating and the S1H looking golden because it doesn't overheat.

Crazy things have had patients placed on them until challenged.

I don’t think there's any patent on fan technology.  With Patients, who knows... 😂

6 minutes ago, noone said:

I do not think the A7s iii NEEDS a fan.      At least not for the vast majority who will use it and especially if all you have to do is keep it out of direct sun in hot environments as much as possible.       Not much different to weather sealing.     I would not rely on Sony weather sealing in pouring rain but there are work arounds (I have used an A7/a7s in rain but not for longer periods and not in a downpour).

I am not sure I would want one in a camera unless it really was needed as it just adds more complexity and something else that can break as well as an increase in size.   Others will differ.

Fans in technology is something we've all become use to and whilst they can fail, I think they do more good stopping other componets failing.  I'd feel happier with one installed than not.

40 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Fans in technology is something we've all become use to and whilst they can fail, I think they do more good stopping other componets failing.  I'd feel happier with one installed than not.

I'd rather have a fan and have them cut in when needed.

My MacBook and iMac have them and they only kick in when needed which isn't that often, usually when mega rendering. They just give you a bigger window to operate in safely. 

52 minutes ago, noone said:

I am not sure I would want a fan in a camera unless it really was needed as it just adds more complexity and something else that can break as well as an increase in size.   Others will differ.

It's a hard call on the A7S3 right now.  How much it heats up in the sun or in hot outdoor usage is still not clear.  

I don't think Sony has recording or usage limits based on how the A7S3 is being used.  I do think it matters because the A7S3 would be used by wedding videographers and lots of weddings are outside.  I don't see how you work around that with the A7S3.  

I like the S1H form factor with the fan design. 

10 minutes ago, Super8 said:

It's a hard call on the A7S3 right now.  How much it heats up in the sun or in hot outdoor usage is still not clear.  

I don't think Sony has recording or usage limits based on how the A7S3 is being used.  I do think it matters because the A7S3 would be used by wedding videographers and lots of weddings are outside.  I don't see how you work around that with the A7S3.  

I like the S1H form factor with the fan design. 

Weddings are outside mostly in the USA; here in the UK, its little more than a 50/50 chance even in Summer.  I know many Wedding Videographers who use Sony.  But UK weather is less severe a problem for overheating.  Though I hired one guy who had a Sony cut out on him during an outdoor Wedding in July.  It was hot that day, but I've had others use them with no issues at all.  

Philip Bloom just posted this on his Instagram account:

”Shooting real time sunset on #elenibeach In Skiathos with the @canonukR5 and @sonyalpha A7S III so I can put them on my tv when I am home and pretend I am there. 

The R5 managed 26 minutes in 4K HQ mode before shutting down. Now it’s recording in 4K line skipped mode. I just need to watch for that 29.59 record limit. 

The A7S III is recording 50p 4K 10 bit. It’s been going for 90 minutes now, zero issues.”

”I can sum up what filming with the @sonyalpha A7S III on holiday is like very succinctly... 

It’s just easy, you don’t have to fight the camera, everything works beautifully and the image is just gorgeous. 

If this camera was capable of high resolution stills it would be the perfect camera. As it is this is a superb small beast of a video camera. There’s nothing else out there that comes close to all it does. I will be very sad to give it back at the end of my holiday. “

Message to Sony and Cannot:

Please add a real time temp gauge to your R5 and S-III. A small, simple 5 dot heat meter line. (Looks like an audio level meter) have 2 green, 1 yellow 1 orange and 1 red colored dot.

This gives people more warning that their camera is getting hot. The more you know BEFORE a shutdown the better. I'd rather know it comming in 10min than find out 30 seconds before!

How hard would that EXTREMELY valuable information be to add to the display?