Canon Suffers Massive Ransomware Attack

tupp

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Perhaps Canon is just embarrassed by all the overheating scandals they've had lately, and want to try and blame their serve meltdown on "hackers" instead. 

As it does less reputation damage to Canon than admitting to yet another case of overheating!

I have my own domain name and so anything-whatsoever-I-can-think-of@mydomain all goes into my inbox.  An upside of this is that I give every site it's own unique email address.  ie, eoshd-com@ as an example.

It is a regular occurrence that an email address suddenly starts getting spam.  The site in question won't have sold my email address to anyone and the email address may never have been used after the registration process, so it wasn't intercepted by someone.  It's because that site got hacked.

Sites get hacked all the time.  

and worse, they don't tell people about it.  They just sit silent because they don't want people to get upset or get the bad PR and mostly people won't notice because they give the same email address to everyone, so who can tell how your email address got onto a spam list.  

The answer is that I can tell.

I wish this was a joke, but it's not.

7 minutes ago, kye said:

Sites get hacked all the time.  

and worse, they don't tell people about it.  They just sit silent because they don't want people to get upset or get the bad PR and mostly people won't notice because they give the same email address to everyone, so who can tell how your email address got onto a spam list.  

Stick your email address in here to see if it's been involved in a breach:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

You'll be surprised how wide spread these are.

5 minutes ago, Nezza said:

Stick your email address in here to see if it's been involved in a breach:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

You'll be surprised how wide spread these are.

I have literally hundreds of email addresses, so it kind of doesn't work like that for me, but it's a good idea for other people.

I put a few of the ones that I noticed getting spam in there and IIRC it had most of them.

Lots of breaches.  Lots and lots.....

• Super Members

I might be an old cynic but....

If I was worried about a web site harvesting your email address, then I'd be very dubious about going to a web site that offers to check that for you in return for you entering your email address.

To be honest, I'd be pretty concerned that I'd just added my email address to a more valuable list of ones that hadn't already been harvested 🙂

I'm sure its legit though.

I entered my address and it came back with very specific sites / apps that I've used over the years on this 'burner' email address.

Would be a lot of effort to put together such an enormous database just to harvest some email addresses. If that was your intent you'd just buy one of these dodgy lists for a lot less effort!

• Super Members
24 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Another blow to Canon, Cinema 5D is now calling itself Cine D...

Cine D?

If sites are renaming themselves after picture profiles then maybe @Andrew Reid should consider SLOG as it must be just that trying to deal with the amount of trolls that show up here around camera launches.

3 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

Did you hear that the hackers did not ask for money? Their only demands were a heatsink, larger body,  no overheating, and an apology from the false marketing team. In exchange they promised that Canon can have their 10TB of files back....so all 12min of their 8K raw files.

Canon should agree to the demands on the condition the hackers convert the 8K RAW files to proxys to save Canon time in post.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Cine D?

If sites are renaming themselves after picture profiles then maybe @Andrew Reid should consider SLOG as it must be just that trying to deal with the amount of trolls that show up here around camera launches.

Yes it's true I am changing to SLOG.com and everything will have a magenta tint.

10 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Canon should agree to the demands on the condition the hackers convert the 8K RAW files to proxys to save Canon time in post.

The only problem is that would mean their site would be down for weeks, the good news would be by the time their site is back up they would have had time to comply with their demands.

3 hours ago, kye said:

I have my own domain name and so anything-whatsoever-I-can-think-of@mydomain all goes into my inbox.  An upside of this is that I give every site it's own unique email address.  ie, eoshd-com@ as an example.

As a tip for everyone else, you can get the same feature using gmail by adding +eoshd-com after your name. Gmail ignores the "+eoshd-com" part, but you can see which address the mail was sent to. A few sites does  not allow these kind of addresses, but most do.

Example: unclebobsphotography+eoshd-com@gmail.com will arrive in the inbox of unclebobsphotography@gmail.com

This also makes it easy to block all emails to with this post-fix if needed

2 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

Another blow to Canon, Cinema 5D is now calling itself Cine D...  After years taking their name from a Canon camera, they have decided to distance themselves from the brand with a new name.  🤣🤣🤣

Just kidding, but its interesting timing after so many years.

Wasn't 100% sure what is true or joking in this thread! Had to go to the site and check. 

Yup. It happened!

Let the conspiracy theories start. 

/puts on Tinfoil Hat