Canon RF Mount Red Komodo Style Camera On the Way?

herein2020

27 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

This would be an interesting move for Canon.

I guess they are starting to feel threatened by the Z-Cams and the upcoming Red Komodo.

With these specs, though, they are kind of undercutting their brand new C300mkIII. My guess is there will be some form of cripple they are going to implement to protect their C300mkIII.

Also, the 4K 120p RAW to an external recorder: what recorders can take Canon RAW up to 120p?

I feel like it is too good to be true as well, I'm just not yet sure what the catch is. 

For the external RAW question I am sure Atomos will make something that will work. I think the HDMI 2.0 standard was holding it back but with HDMI 2.1 they just need to release some new HW.

1 hour ago, jack jin said:

You ain't gonna see what the footage look like just from youtube, and the a7s3's slog 3 and 2 is meant to match the fx9, and from the slog samples I've downloaded it seems great, especially if you use the right rec709 coversion lut like the alister venice or phantom luts. And the dynamic range of the a7s3 is the same as the c300mk3 with the dual gain enabled. And it still manages to beat out the fs7 even at 16000 iso.  The a7s3 also won't overheat from testing, since Philip Bloom literally managed to record over 8 hours of footage in a hot room before he gave up on the overheating tests.It also has a flip screen, ibis, great eye tracking af even at 240fps. With the xlr module it also can record 4 channel sound, 2 from xlr and 2 from 3.5mm. And of course there are internal nd adapters for e mount to ef if you want to go that route as well.

I'll just come out and say it...I don't like Sony's cameras. I picked one up at a display case in a store once and it felt so cheap and plasticky that I have never given them another chance, the ergonomics were terrible, and the menus were even worse. I'm sure they have improved a lot since then but by now I have plenty of Canon glass, I love the Canon gear I have and if this camera doesn't disappoint and fits comfortably on my Ronin S it is a no brainer for me.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

I'll just come out and say it...I don't like Sony's cameras. I picked one up at a display case in a store once and it felt so cheap and plasticky that I have never given them another chance, the ergonomics were terrible, and the menus were even worse. I'm sure they have improved a lot since then but by now I have plenty of Canon glass, I love the Canon gear I have and if this camera doesn't disappoint and fits comfortably on my Ronin S it is a no brainer for me.

Exactly. I hate Sony cameras. Zero fun to use. Panasonic's S1 and S1H are my favorite cameras to actually hold, navigate, use, and shoot with. Buttons are where I want them to be, easily programmable, easy to change WB, ISO, etc. They're just brilliant tools. Fuji is the same. 

Canon is a close third outside of the EOS R, which I thought was an ergonomic disaster (like a Sony, consumer camera). R5/R6 look to be better but won't know until I have them in hand.

But when it comes to cinema cameras, Canon is the best. C100s, C200, and C300 III are all brilliant to use. Again, Sony's FS7 is a total pain in the ass. 

3 hours ago, jack jin said:

So the red komodo for 1500 dollars more is going to have: 

1, True internal Redcode raw at 8:1 in mq mode and 4-3:1 at hq mode

2, Internal 4k and 2k prores recording

3, Global Shutter

3, Much better dynamic range

4, 6k

5, Red ipp2 colorscience

5, Better lowlight then the c200

6, CHOICE OF BODY COLORS! (+$1k)

11 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

Exactly. I hate Sony cameras. Zero fun to use. Panasonic's S1 and S1H are my favorite cameras to actually hold, navigate, use, and shoot with. Buttons are where I want them to be, easily programmable, easy to change WB, ISO, etc. They're just brilliant tools. Fuji is the same. 

Canon is a close third outside of the EOS R, which I thought was an ergonomic disaster (like a Sony, consumer camera). R5/R6 look to be better but won't know until I have them in hand.

But when it comes to cinema cameras, Canon is the best. C100s, C200, and C300 III are all brilliant to use. Again, Sony's FS7 is a total pain in the ass. 

I agree, I love my GH5's layout, the menu system took a little getting used to mainly because there are so many options, but once I set up my favorites menu it is great. The GH5 feels good to hold, has never let me down due to overheating or any other issues. I never thought I'd like another camera as much as my 5DIV until the GH5 came along.

On the other hand, I hate using my GH5 and prefer using my A7III 🙂

To each their own. While useability is important, as long as the camera isn't getting in my way I prefer to get better IQ.

Just because something feels "plasticky" is the weirdest reason why I wouldn't use a camera...

6 hours ago, Yurolov said:

RF mount enables a focal reducer so people can use their EF glass to get a FF look

Same can be said Blackmagic Pocket, Sony FS5 or Komodo. You can also adapt without a focal reducer to a7S III, Panasonics, FX9 or use natively on Canon EF cameras.

6 hours ago, Yurolov said:

SAME lenses - EF glass

RF mount is not the only solution for EF glass – RED, Blackmagic, Sony & Panasonic with adapters all work with EF glass.

"Ok so a lot wrong with this." "your statement is quite misguided and not very well thought out" – thanks for being so harsh without understanding my comments. I was talking about unique selling points of RF mount cameras: they are the only ones working with RF lenses.

These specs do seem to be too good to be true. But then again, so did the C500 II and C300 III (as well as 1DX III and R5, but those did sort of turn out to be too good to be true, functional-wise). 

Don't know how this wouldn't severely undercut C300 III sales if the only thing missing was raw internal (especially if this camera can do raw output). I guess other things like full XLRs, timecode, and a few other professional tools would differentiate the two, but there are definitely work-arounds for a camera that is 1/3 or 1/2 the cost.

Hoping this is true, but we'll see. 

2 hours ago, scotchtape said:

On the other hand, I hate using my GH5 and prefer using my A7III 🙂

To each their own. While useability is important, as long as the camera isn't getting in my way I prefer to get better IQ.

Just because something feels "plasticky" is the weirdest reason why I wouldn't use a camera...

So if a camera feels like it will fall apart due to use, the materials feel really cheap to the touch, it is not as weather sealed as other comparable cameras, it is not comfortable to hold, and the menu systems are a mess you would still care more about IQ? I'm not here to debate Canon vs Sony or any other brands, I love my current setup and I'm glad you are getting the results that you paid for out of yours, but to me IQ isn't everything.

Years ago I realized I'm not producing Hollywood blockbusters, my avg viewer will view my final output at 480P on their cell phones, the content matters a lot more than the IQ, actual Hollywood movies have been shot on GoPros, and YouTube will do more damage to my footage than I ever will in the camera.....so yes I know better IQ can be gotten by many cameras other than the GH5; but for me, the GH5 feels good in my hands, has a menu system that is very easy to work with, and feels rugged and reliable; these things I value more than IQ.

With that being said, sure the GH5 has many shortcomings and I have learned to work within them (highlight rolloff, DR, lowlight performance, no AF, poor color science), so if Canon delivers the same ergonomics, features, and menu system from the rest of their line, and fixes all of the things I don't like about my GH5 I will gladly upgrade.

43 minutes ago, currensheldon said:

Don't know how this wouldn't severely undercut C300 III sales if the only thing missing was raw internal

The new C300 has 16 stops of dynamic range, to go with that raw internal, so I think it will hold its place with the folks that it is targeted at. I thought the R5 sounded too good to be true as a hybrid shooter, but it ended up living up to the hype for me. Yeah I know, overheat gate - but that does not affect me as I only shoot in bursts for video and when I need longer I can do regular 4K or 4K HQ unlimited to an Atomos Ninja. But if this new camera has killer DR it would be awesome to pair with an R5, especially with no need to buy new lenses or batteries. If its similar quality video and just longer record times with no overheating, I will stick to the R5 as again I can just record as long as I want in HQ 4K with an atomos or bursts internal. 

Canon needs to have a cine camera in the Komodo price point and small form factor.  This would also solve the longer record time issue the R5 has.  We are merging into 4k60p / 120p and up as with external Atomos screen and recorder as being standard spec road map.  It's not about the best image quality any more.

36 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

So if a camera feels like it will fall apart due to use, the materials feel really cheap to the touch, it is not as weather sealed as other comparable cameras, it is not comfortable to hold, and the menu systems are a mess you would still care more about IQ? I'm not here to debate Canon vs Sony or any other brands, I love my current setup and I'm glad you are getting the results that you paid for out of yours, but to me IQ isn't everything.

Years ago I realized I'm not producing Hollywood blockbusters, my avg viewer will view my final output at 480P on their cell phones, the content matters a lot more than the IQ, actual Hollywood movies have been shot on GoPros, and YouTube will do more damage to my footage than I ever will in the camera.....so yes I know better IQ can be gotten by many cameras other than the GH5; but for me, the GH5 feels good in my hands, has a menu system that is very easy to work with, and feels rugged and reliable; these things I value more than IQ.

With that being said, sure the GH5 has many shortcomings and I have learned to work within them (highlight rolloff, DR, lowlight performance, no AF, poor color science), so if Canon delivers the same ergonomics, features, and menu system from the rest of their line, and fixes all of the things I don't like about my GH5 I will gladly upgrade.

I'm happily using my A7III for paid work and so are many others... so, I guess? I sold an M43 lens to someone that ranted away at how trash the Sonys were and how they fell apart on him after a year... Mine looks more or less the same as the day I bought it, and all the buttons still work fine. I don't love the A7III but I love it for its price point and capabilities when it was released. It has many flaws and things that I don't like, but the old school of "it's not metal and hard therefore trash and will fall apart" is... old school.

The materials aren't "really cheap", I don't do handheld so how it feels doesn't matter as much, but there's nothing wrong with how the A7III feels, the menus aren't great but they're fine, I set up the custom menu and I can scroll... 

Why do you think people use BMPCC 4K? For it's useability on a gimbal? for the tilting screen and long battery life, as well as external ssd and no af-c? It's for the IQ and price...  So yeah, lots of people will put up with whatever you apparently "can't" put up with. I can't deal with no AF-C but I don't tell other people they need it and then ask them why they don't...

At least in the camera world 2020 is giving us more options and confusion then was expected.   I never thought I would own a RED or think about purchasing one.   I thought investing into Canon was the way to go.

Hope everyone is doing well and is safe.  Cheers and blessing to everyone on the EOS. 

9 hours ago, RWR said:

6,  CHOICE OF BODY COLORS! (+$1k)

Yeah that's just pretty retarded, but obviously nobody in their right mind would actually spend 1k plus just for custom body color on a $6k cameras. And apparently everyone hates Sony ergonomic in this forum, but have y'all actually tried out the newer thicker a7r4 body? It really does feel pretty nice, I would say on par with the z6 or eos r. Obviously not as thick as the s1 but it's up there.

9 hours ago, herein2020 said:

The new a7r4 body style is actually really nice, fits in my hand just as good as a eos r or z6, and the new menu system on the s3 is getting quite a lot of praise. There are also a ton of excellent e to ef adapters that will give you near native af performance, so that shouldn't be that big of a problem.

7 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Once u add ND adapter, XLR mount etc it actually cost more than this Canon and it is much more fragile too unlike proper cinema camera. 

Well it still costs 400 dollars less even with all of these adapters, plus all of the iq advantage I've mentioned (High iso, DR etc.) Of course if you need a cube form factor the canon and komodo makes sense. But there seems to be a ton of people on this sub who dismisses the a7s3 based on the older bodies and their clunky menus. Sony has come a long way and they should honestly take this with a open mind.