Switching from my a6500 to an X-T3?

Dustin

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

You don't get internal 10-bit or 4K 60p on the XH-1

Good deal. Well that rules the x-H1 out. Honestly, I’m gonna go for the x-t3 because it’s all I can afford at the moment and I have a gimbal but if I really like the Fuji system I may flip and pick up an xt4 in the future. Thanks all for the help!!

11 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Can someone advise me on the best memory cards for the XT3? Do I really need a v90 or will a v60 do? These are fairly pricey compared to the cards I'm used to shooting on...

v60 is fine. I have a Lexar 126G SDXC II V 60 card rated for 150 MB/s that's worked great. In the second card slot I usually have a San Disk Extreme 32G SDHC V30 card rated at 90MB/s that B&H sent with the camera.

Well thanks to everyone’s help today, I sold my Sony a6500 and 35mm lens eBay. Coming my way at the end of the week from Bh photo is the following:

Fuji xt3 with a 18-55 f2.8-4

Sony 128gb uhs II v60 sd card

Can’t wait to start shooting this weekend

Sounds like the Panasonic G9/GH5 is a really good match for you. (or even the GH5S, if you stretch your budget slightly and go secondhand, as you don't mention a desire for IBIS. )

Yes, it is not the APS-C you mentioned, but it ticks off all the other boxes you mention.
And these cameras are all full sensor readouts, which makes them a wider FoV than some ASP-C (or even FF!!) cameras in 4K. And there isn't such a massive difference anyway between MFT & ASP-C. 

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Sounds like the Panasonic G9/GH5 is a really good match for you. (or even the GH5S, if you stretch your budget slightly and go secondhand, as you don't mention a desire for IBIS. )

Yes, it is not the APS-C you mentioned, but it ticks off all the other boxes you mention.
And these cameras are all full sensor readouts, which makes them a wider FoV than some ASP-C (or even FF!!) cameras in 4K. And there isn't such a massive difference anyway between MFT & ASP-C. 

Thanks! Gonna give the Xt3 a go and see what it can do. 

8 minutes ago, ade towell said:

The XT3 is a great camera for video and photos, best value hybrid in my opinion. You may want to get a spare battery or 2 though, they don't last quite as long as I would like (or get a power bank for all day shooting)

Thanks! BH threw an extra battery in there so I have two on the way. I’m used to Sony batteries so if I have to I’ll stock up. 

With 4K, it chews through them VERY quickly.

Stills less so and I comfortably get over 1000 frames out of one battery and use the battery grip anyway for around 4000 which is just a little over what I shoot at a wedding.

So IMO, battery grip or power bank is a must. I reckon I’d use anywhere between 8-12 on a typical day (for video capture) If I was not using the power bank and I only shoot short clips.

Just finished my first rough cut edit of last weeks wedding and relieved that after 10 months off, other than a couple of minor annoying factors, I’m happy with it.

Annoying factors? Mostly ring rust/school boy errors such as during the vows, use manual focus you dummy and duh, you were still shooting f1.8 in bright sunlight against a blue sky and you wonder why there is a dark ND filter vignette. Amateur hour...

But my own errors aside, the system didn’t miss a beat all day other than the camera would not turn on at one point so took out and reinserted battery and all was fine again. 

So much so, I’d rather keep and use my XT3’s with battery grips and use an OIS system than switch to XT4’s.

I saw a few threads where it had been mentioned that flog had some issues with highlights/blacks clipping in resolve and maybe others. Is this still an issue with the x-T3? Also am I correct that flog has a base iso of 640 but you can reduce the dynamic range to enable a lower iso? How much does this hurt your final image?

I plan to use the Eterna film stock but do want to try f-log

I didn’t get on with flog and use Classic Chrome SOOC which requires minimum grading. I used Eterna for the previous 2 years but fancied something even more SOOC with a distinctive look.

In fact, I would not even call it grading but rather some exposure adjustments to maybe 25% of my footage.

One of my settings is DR400 which means 640 iso min, highlights preserved at base (160) with shadows pushed (2 stops I guess?).

It doesn’t have as much latitude as flog but then who is my client, what are they paying and where are they viewing...?

I would like to give flog another go in the future but not with XT3 but a model that has a lut facility.

The downside to shooting these film sims though is that if you blow the highlights, it’s game over as there is virtually zero capacity to recover!

I've not had a problem using flog in 10 bit in Resolve. Other folk have used HLG to get the same maximum DR as flog but I haven't tried that yet as flog and eterna lut I've found has given me great results. In very low light I have switched to using Eterna internal with DR400 as it makes for a cleaner image

Needs quite a strong ND the wider open you shoot on a bright day!

I've been using a variable Gobe, but it's not great at the stonger end...

I was going to replace it with the Polar Pro, but because it now seems to have Peter McWotsits name on it by default...and I am sure I would be paying a premium for that unwanted 'privilege', so I'm looking at the Freewells that come in 1-5 and 6-9 flavours as a set which would be great for cloudy/indoor and sunny days respectively.

But actually, right now, not spending anything as the way things stand, yes, shot a wedding last week, but that does not mean my next 4 spread over Sep & Oct will happen and if they do not, it's May 2021 and that could be; XH2, Z6s or A7Siii time... Or it might still be XT3 but right now, the new Sony has a lot of appeal for my specific needs...