Best small / affordable studio background?

cam1982

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, cam1982 said:

I'm not a fan, I don't trust those small motors to roll up a heavier backdrop and you need to run power to them. Maybe paper, but not muslin, or heavier materials like cotton. In my studio I went with the Neewer manual system:

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Photography-Mounting-Background-including/dp/B00RV90LE8/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=background+roller+for+photography&qid=1596561098&sr=8-1

The Neewer system kind of sucks too though because if you use 9x12" cotton backdrops you can only fit two backdrops on the rollers and they are too close together to add a third one. You also have to really tune the rollers because the chains are not very strong so if the rollers are too tight the chain will come apart and if they are too lose the backdrop will unroll.

In my studio I hung a 9x20' black and a 9x20' white backdrop. I also have a green screen 10'x10' which I put on PVC and manually hang on wall hooks for green screen work.

40 minutes ago, cam1982 said:

Thanks. It helps. What else do you use for green screen work? What's your camera? Workflow?

I have also found this kit here for very cheap:

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Adjustable-Background-Backdrop-Photography/dp/B07PFS3BBS/

Here is my setup, the wall hooks are where I hang my 10 x 10 green screen. I use two 200w led lights shooting into a 42" umbrella on each side to evenly light it, then 3 gvm led panels to light the talent. 

The picture is of my photo setup, I don't have one of when the green screen is setup.

Camera is a C200 but I can just as easily use the GH5, really any camera will do. For editing I use DaVinci resolve with an alpha key to replace the green screen, the key to working with the screen is to get the talent far enough away that none of the green reflects onto the talent. In my studio they sit about 12' away which works for me. Also don't over light the green screen or you will get a cast onto the talent.

3E38E4D2-6F5A-4177-B590-EF1FA60ACBE9.jpeg

9 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

Here is my setup, the wall hooks are where I hang my 10 x 10 green screen. I use two 200w led lights shooting into a 42" umbrella on each side to evenly light it, then 3 gvm led panels to light the talent. 

The picture is of my photo setup, I don't have one of when the green screen is setup.

Camera is a C200 but I can just as easily use the GH5, really any camera will do. For editing I use DaVinci resolve with an alpha key to replace the green screen, the key to working with the screen is to get the talent far enough away that none of the green reflects onto the talent. In my studio they sit about 12' away which works for me. Also don't over light the green screen or you will get a cast onto the talent.

3E38E4D2-6F5A-4177-B590-EF1FA60ACBE9.jpeg

Thanks man 😊 More video or stills? Any link online?

Do you use any portable solution too?

1 hour ago, cam1982 said:

Thanks man 😊 More video or stills? Any link online?

Do you use any portable solution too?

No I don't have time to do the types of reviews you see online, I don't know where they find the time.  There's nothing really special about my studio setup, 10' PVC for the rolls, Westcott cotton backdrops, posing stool, GVM panels, GVM lights, Westcott umbrellas, studio is 16' x 32' with a 13' ceiling, backdrops are 9' x 20' the green screen is 10' x 10'. or it might be 10' x 20' can't remember. 

While building my studio I watched Joe Edelman's YouTube videos a few times for ideas, and there's plenty of tutorials on the proper use of a green screen, and more tutorials on how to key out the green screen in editing.  I use DaVinci Resolve and combine the alpha output technique with color qualifiers to get rid of the green screen then I use a power window to mask the edges which lets me expand my background beyond the edges of the green screen until the background fills the frame and it makes my studio look a lot larger.

My front 3 photography lights are Godox 600's and they are battery powered so that clients do not trip over cables and they are mobile so that I can do beach shoots and sunset shoots for the photography side of the house.

For video lighting outdoors for say a swimsuit shoot I use C stands and foam core panels to add fill light while using the sun as the rim and key light ($20 at Home Depot or Lowes).

This is my GVM Panel Kit, it is mobile and can take AC power or battery power
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J1GLLB2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And here are the lights I use for lower budget music videos, interviews, etc., the color changing feature is fantastic, no more gels. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M5FD2MM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My backdrops never leave the studio, too much of a hassle, and lighting a green screen anywhere but in the studio isn't worth the work to me so I don't offer mobile green screen services or mobile "studio look" photography services, if I'm shooting on location it's going to be using whatever background that location can provide.