RED KOMODO 6K | First Footage - WOW

Super8

2 hours ago, kye said:

Haters gonna hate....

That's top 5% of the most sensible things ever said on a camera forum.  

Nice to see a departure from the "based on one video I'm going to buy it / I'll never buy it" all-or-nothing sentiments 🙂 

Nah it’s because I’m broke now or I’m going to buy it. 😆

Well just kidding. I used to be one of those “I’m to buy it based on one video”, but now I care about workflow more than anything so I try before I buy anything if possible.

It amazed me how much money I have saved. 🤣

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 8/14/2020 at 10:54 AM, Ed David said:

Yea mavo lf certainly looks like it has a much better skintones and iq out of the box. More than all the reds... even the monstro.  I put in a preorder for the mavo edge, which seems to iron out some things in the mavo lf. Hopefully sensor is still good in low light and dynamic range is still good.

and yea thats funny about vincent laforet being treated so poorly. He really help put red on the map.

whats next? Is Shane Hurlbut even safe? 🤗

I think the Mavo LF image quality also owes something to the robust ProRes 4444 XQ codec that is available internally. It is better than many of the proprietary RAW formats that are partially debayered (e.g., ZRAW, BRAW). The Mavo Edge 8K should be an excellent choice based on what we have seen with the Mavo LF 6K. However, it is about to get very competitive in that price range. Lower down, even ZCAM is doing some impressive things with color and internal ProRes:

3 hours ago, Kino said:

I think the Mavo LF image quality also owes something to the robust ProRes 4444 XQ codec that is available internally. It is better than many of the proprietary RAW formats that are partially debayered (e.g., ZRAW, BRAW). The Mavo Edge 8K should be an excellent choice based on what we have seen with the Mavo LF 6K. However, it is about to get very competitive in that price range. Lower down, even ZCAM is doing some impressive things with color and internal ProRes:

That is great look and skintones. Super impressive. Would love to see a komodo vs e2-f6 vs mavo lf vs mavo edge vs red monstro vs etc shoot out ( when the edge comes out).

mavo edge just interests me more personally because it has more professional features like dual sdi out.

I'm just impressed about the fact there are multiple camera review YT embeds on this page and none of them have the 'make a stupid face that says "I just shit myself" while holding a camera' thumbnails. 

Footage looks really good out of this camera. Red seems to have a big winner on its hands, the RF mount is a great move because the glass is so good with some pretty amazing AF capabilities and those killer Canon EF adapters. After all these years of failed budget camera promises, they finally did 6k for $6k.

Chris

23 hours ago, Trankilstef said:

I really love this footage : 

The most "cinematic" video I've seen from this camera so far and makes me want to buy it !

You'd be better off buying that lens, which is 90% of the look of that video. Global shutter probably helps too, but I bet you could get a similar look from the Zcam E2, A7SIII, S1H etc if you had the same glass.

29 minutes ago, austinchimp said:

You'd be better off buying that lens, which is 90% of the look of that video. Global shutter probably helps too, but I bet you could get a similar look from the Zcam E2, A7SIII, S1H etc if you had the same glass.

Yep I have a Panasonic S1H and i'm happy with it, and I bet it could come close to that. But yeah the lens plays a big part of thid look but it's the overall look not only the anamorphic thing. Grading is excellent, the picture is not clinically digital. It looks good! 

I dislike this footage - the framing makes the widescreen aspect inhibiting, since the videographer constantly cuts off peoples heads, and I do not like how the particular discolorations ( we call it "grading") chosen in post affect skin tones.  And, videos of cute kids are second only to pet videos in terms of cuteness. But, so what? This will have zero influence on whether I like the camera.

How on earth could a particular video that is heavily graded and uses a very special-type lens convince anyone that the camera is somehow better than the many other cinema contenders less than $10,000? Of course, this phenomenon of judging a camera by one video is all over this forum and many others devoted to equipment. I bet the videographer (once he masters framing with an anamorphic lens better (I get it that it could be on purpose)) could make a cinematic-looking video from a Sony RX100, under the same lighting conditions.

Of course, if one is for some other reasons set on acquiring this camera, this video (if you actually thought it was good) would reaffirm your interest, since it does show what it can produce. It just does not speak to whether another cheaper, more-user-friendly, more-versatile camera could do better, but then again the scenes have limited dynamic range (wonderful diffuse light that always helps), there is lots of out-of-focus areas (and subjects) and the lens, as has been said, matters a lot.

Just a thought (my quasi-rant could be applied to any posts about cameras, so I do not mean it as a criticism of the Komodo). There is a sophisticated crowd here, so I am surprised to see this behavior, again and again.

2 hours ago, markr041 said:

I dislike this footage - the framing makes the widescreen aspect inhibiting, since the videographer constantly cuts off peoples heads, and I do not like how the particular discolorations ( we call it "grading") chosen in post affect skin tones.  And, videos of cute kids are second only to pet videos in terms of cuteness. But, so what? This will have zero influence on whether I like the camera.

Yeah, definitely not a fan of the color grade. Who wants their kids to have gray skin tones? 

6 hours ago, markr041 said:

Of course, this phenomenon of judging a camera by one video is all over this forum and many others devoted to equipment.

I've developed a few thoughts on this over the years.

My grand unified theory of cameras is that highly skilled people can make almost any camera look glorious, unskilled people can't make any camera look good, and that for the rest of us in-between it's about how easy or hard it is to work with the equipment that matters.

Watching one video can tell us a lot of things.  It could show us the potential that the equipment has.  It could show us what is possible in a difficult situation (for example, low light, high DR, etc).  It could also give us a clue about how hard it is to work with if we know the skill level of those involved in making that specific video.

However, one data point is one data point, and for a more general view of a camera we have to watch many videos, and even then there is a limit to what we can tell without actually using it ourselves.  Reviews attempt to bridge this gap, but they are subjective and biased (consciously or unconsciously).

I suspect it's the case that amateurs draw conclusions based on one video because they don't know any better, skilled people know not to draw conclusions from one video because it's folly, and geniuses draw conclusions from one video because they can.

On 8/25/2020 at 3:20 AM, maxmizer said:

.I don't see anything particular in this camera, Mavo is superior, Zcam a little inferior ... I wait to see G12

You basically get what you pay for here with these cameras. The special thing about the Komodo, however, is the ability to match the color of much more expensive RED cameras:

What ultimately segments Komodo from Dragon and Gemini is the lack of HFR, more REDCODE compression options, and a pro interface or connections. Otherwise, RED is delivering some serious image quality that threatens its own high-end cameras.