RED KOMODO 6K | First Footage - WOW

Super8

I see the virtue of the box/brain form factor as dovetailing nicely with GS for handheld work... in my admittedly short time trying to master the art so much seems to come down to functional/dynamic balance of the rig... much easier to get a grip positioned on axis with the COG... of course weight helps smooth things out but one can achieve nice handheld motion with a well-balanced lightish rig. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well Red is a terrible company, but hey they got their image going for them. We are all used to seeing it in movies, so I might buy one, prolly not this year. As I dont have any video work lined up anymore.
But its a tradeoff IQ vs usability. And I guess its far more easy to earn money with a camera that has more features like AF and IBIS. But those are not the projects I want to do mostly. So might be better to buy a hybrid, make a lot more money and with that money buy a RED as well.  

I’m going to buy a Komodo.

So I can come on here and tell the amateur hybrid camera video makers all about my thick colour, GS (yes! yes! YES!) and other juicy comments designed to reinforce my self built pedestal...

Or I might remain perfectly happy with my A7Siii at -30 degrees, iso 51k at midnight filming the Aurora in Sony thin colour whilst keeping my fingers warm by sticking them into the sensor (thereby ruining the final vestiges of what was terrible IBIS anyway). 

Choices. Choices. 

4 hours ago, Snowfun said:

I’m going to buy a Komodo.

So I can come on here and tell the amateur hybrid camera video makers all about my thick colour, GS (yes! yes! YES!) and other juicy comments designed to reinforce my self built pedestal...

Or I might remain perfectly happy with my A7Siii at -30 degrees, iso 51k at midnight filming the Aurora in Sony thin colour whilst keeping my fingers warm by sticking them into the sensor (thereby ruining the final vestiges of what was terrible IBIS anyway). 

Choices. Choices. 

Now that's a funny post.  Since it was directed at me I'll respond.  RED came down to our side now with it's $6K Komodo, so the game has changed.  

I am a happy hybrid shooter and love that gear.   I had a moment watching that Komodo footage and seeing the price.   All most of us want is reliable gears that produces a great image.

And as far as global shutter, you can spell it out ya know, global shutter is really not out in the wild at all.   Go find global shutter footage we can look at and review. 

All of this goes back to cine cameras and how heavy they get when rigged up.  IBIS was never a thought on a cine rig for various reasons.  Cine already figured our how to get the shots they needed.  Massive jibs, car jibs, Arri skeleton steady cam suits, etc, etc.  It's a big market in the cine world.  No wonder they don't want IBIS.  Now global shutter is a different thing isn't it?  It's technology roots go back to film with it's full sensor readout process. 

I'm not selling my hybrid gear because I will still use it. 

Next question is will or can the Komodo be Netflix approved.  

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Super8 said:

And as far as global shutter, you can spell it out ya know, global shutter is really not out in the wild at all.   Go find global shutter footage we can look at and review. 

You mean aside from all the footage on YouTube from (off the top of my head) BM Production 4K Camera, BM Ursa Mini 4K, Digital Bolex, AJA Cion, Sony F35, Sony F55 and the countless numbers of video camera made that had a CCD sensor ?

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, Super8 said:

No Global Shutter on the Blackmagic URSA Mini 4 6K

http://www.nexi.tv/filmlive/2016/03/27/no-global-shutter-blackmagic-ursa-mini-4-6k/

Cameras from the last few years. Meaning we haven't had the GS sensor wars in recent years. 

Can you point to where I said URSA Mini 4.6K in my list rather than the global shutter equipped URSA Mini 4K ?

I mean, you even quoted BM Ursa Mini 4K from my list in your reply for fucks sake.

You might has well have said there is no global shutter on a Sony RX100 if you're going to try and be a smart arse and quote cameras that I didn't mention.

There has been absolutely no "GS sensor wars" in any years let alone recent ones and I've got no idea where you've got that idea from.

9 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

This looks actually pretty good, 

Meh. The screenshot is nice. The actual footage didn't look impressive, at least on my screen. Not bad, just not better than a lot of current hybrid footage. Definitely didn't seem on a level with cine camera footage, though some other Komodo clips have, at least for me. 

I'm not seeing the A7S3 in this footage or stills.  Stills are paused images from moving video. 

This certainly is not hybrid footage.  Test will show how it stacks up but the eyes test doesn't fit with - "on my screen it looks this way or that way"..... your computer screen is what you view this and hybrid with.  It won't push a cameras image quality one way or the other.  I get that people see with other parts of their body and not just their eyes.

n1h.jpg

n1h2.jpg

I found a Xyla chart test of the Komodo on the FB user group. Thought i'd download the R3D and put it in a timeline to compare against Cinema 5D's test of the Pocket 6K. I'm no expert, and obviously these tests came from different sources, but it gives a fairly accurate result of what to expect.  Id like to get hold of the BRAW still to compare them slightly more closely.  

Left is Pocket 6K. Right is Komodo.

538890597_Pocket6k-Komodo.thumb.png.2ced3a4724eb0d93a4a7c2f26be8c39c.png

Cinema 5D rated the Pocket 6K at 11.8. (Blackmagic Claim 13) 
I would put Komodo at 12.2 (Approx) (RED claim 16.5+)
Cinema 5D rated the S1H as 12.7 (Panasonic claim 14)
Gerald Undone rated the A7s iii as 13.0 (Sony claim 15)

1 hour ago, JordanWright said:

I found a Xyla chart test of the Komodo on the FB user group. Thought i'd download the R3D and put it in a timeline to compare against Cinema 5D's test of the Pocket 6K. I'm no expert, and obviously these tests came from different sources, but it gives a fairly accurate result of what to expect.  Id like to get hold of the BRAW still to compare them slightly more closely.  

Left is Pocket 6K. Right is Komodo.

538890597_Pocket6k-Komodo.thumb.png.2ced3a4724eb0d93a4a7c2f26be8c39c.png

Cinema 5D rated the Pocket 6K at 11.8. (Blackmagic Claim 13) 
I would put Komodo at 12.2 (Approx) (RED claim 16.5+)
Cinema 5D rated the S1H as 12.7 (Panasonic claim 14)
Gerald Undone rated the A7s iii as 13.0 (Sony claim 15)

If you count the 12th stop on the Pocket, which is just barely off the noise floor, you would have to count the 13th stop on the Komodo. In either case, Komodo demonstrates a 1-stop improvement. Moreover, Komodo has 2 usable stops at or above 80 IRE and a much flatter curve overall. And this is to say nothing of the lack of an AA filter on the Pocket. RED, by contrast, employs very aggressive OLPFs that soften the image and give it a more filmic look. I do think Komodo is a bit soft for a 6K camera as a result, but that is just my preference.

1 hour ago, Kino said:

If you count the 12th stop on the Pocket, which is just barely off the noise floor, you would have to count the 13th stop on the Komodo. In either case, Komodo demonstrates a 1-stop improvement. Moreover, Komodo has 2 usable stops at or above 80 IRE and a much flatter curve overall. And this is to say nothing of the lack of an AA filter on the Pocket. RED, by contrast, employs very aggressive OLPFs that soften the image and give it a more filmic look. I do think Komodo is a bit soft for a 6K camera as a result, but that is just my preference.

Thanks for your thoughts! I wouldn't take the curves on those charts as accurate, I just brought the 1st stop on the Komodo to match the Pocket to demonstrate the difference accurately. I also wouldn't go as far as a full stop improvement but you could totally argue more than the 0.4 I suggest, I chose to side with caution because the Komodo seems noisier. But again, these charts aren't 100% accurate, Im sure that when someone more knowledgeable than me gets to testing we will get better results.

9 hours ago, JordanWright said:

I found that nothing in camera specs is not so much elusive and subjective as trying to measure DR in some sort of experimental condition - after camera crosses certain high threshold for resolving demand inside-outside space (or shadow to bright sunlight) range that is aesthetically relevant (I mean not looking from deep cave to harsh midday desert sun). Simply, when crucial distinctive variable is "noise", there're too  many subjective variables that are include in someone's impression. So, the most and only relevant to me are tests strictly side by side where we can more evidently judge also (or above all) a "quality" of DR.

For example, I already posted this IMO interesting test in a dedicated thread, so I apologize for  quoting it here, just to illustrate my opinion