RED KOMODO 6K | First Footage - WOW

Super8

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Super8 said:

I'm impressed with this footage.  Global shutter? Now that's awesome.

What does everyone think?  Is this going to be affordable ?

Might be planning to get one next year with my friend, we got a punch of Canon batteries (it share the same battery as c100), many ef lens, got RF VND adapter and Cfast cards so not going to cost us much except getting the sdi monitor. 

Sadly, at the moment USA is another dimension of affordability comparing to EU. But yes - judging to this last posted footage, it seems certain that Komodo nailed remarkable image quality. Comparing with A7s III results it looks affordable, regarding it is another league (as also Z cam E2-F6 which is even much less $)

5 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Might be planning to get one next year with my friend, we got a punch of Canon batteries (it share the same battery as c100), many ef lens, got RF VND adapter and Cfast cards so not going to cost us much except getting the sdi monitor. 

7 hours ago, Super8 said:

I'm impressed with this footage.  Global shutter? Now that's awesome.

What does everyone think?  Is this going to be affordable ?

Color, aliasing free, motion cadence, smoothness. incredible. That's where the money is atm. 4K , 6k, 8k are worthless without those.

Yeah did kinda like this footage, nothing mind blowing but looks like stup up from mirrorless and dslr's type camera's. And I did not like the first footage that was released of the komodo, the dynamic range looked kinda low at the first video's, but just also saw that comparision video with the pocket 6K and it has similar DR to the pocket 6K, highlight rolloff is nicer though so it might have a stop over the pocket 6K.  So this might have my interest again also. Waiting on some more comparison video's and actual commercials shot with it. 

The interesting thing about early Komodo footage is that it is likely to have been shot & processed by those who know what they’re doing. Once it’s out amongst the masses (and at the price it is cheap enough to be a consumer product) I’m sure we’ll see footage as bad as anything else.  (Slightly tongue in cheek from a bitter “Jim promised a cinema module” Hydrogen buyer...)

If things work out ok in 2021 Komodo will definitely be an option.

I considered the Red Komodo when I was deciding if I should wait for it or go with my C200 and I chose the C200 when the price for the C200 dropped to $5400USD. I shoot mainly events, music videos, interviews, etc. and the Komodo, while way more attractive than the other models does not have internal ND filters, XLR audio, flip out monitor, AF is less reliable than Canon's, and for me one of the biggest things was no lower end codec. As much as everyone trashes LongGOP and 4:2:0 8bit, the colors and picture that I get out of the C200 is incredible when you realize what codec it is using and if I ever get a gig that needs it I can always step up to RAW. For long events or talking heads you just don't need ProRes or any flavor of raw.

If Red would add XLR inputs, an eND filter, improve their AF, add lower data rate codec options, and keep it in the $6K price range it would suddenly make the A7SIII, the C100, and the C200 look a lot less attractive.

44 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

If Red would add XLR inputs, an eND filter, improve their AF, add lower data rate codec options, and keep it in the $6K price range it would suddenly make the A7SIII, the C100, and the C200 look a lot less attractive.

Apart of AF exactly UMP G2 if you're ok with form factor and S35. (Although I think price will even go down pretty soon with new offer with new BM sensor.)

I would add that global shutter is a different creative tool that this camera enables. No matter how small rolling shutter is, you feel it. Seeing this clips made me remind some Jonas Mekas's footage where shake was part of the equation and never a problem. With rolling shutter, his movies would get you sick for sure.

Footage looks much better than the earlier stuff. 

I think this is where cameras are heading. Higher-end pro tools at higher end pro prices. The mirrorless cameras will be eaten alive by camera phones with 1” sensors and better software. It’s coming.

Definitely has me thinking to just skip this round of mirrorless cameras, because lets face it, they will never deliver on what we want, and just save for a higher end camera.

Komodo has AF so its at the top of the list for price versus features.

Would really like to see a C100 style camera from canon that can compete on image. Doesn’t even have to be RAW. Just a super rich 10-bit 4:2:2 image with the special sauce 1DC had.

1 hour ago, anonim said:

Apart of AF exactly UMP G2 if you're ok with form factor and S35. (Although I think price will even go down pretty soon with new offer with new BM sensor.)

I considered that camera too, but everything I read stated it does not perform as well as the C200 in low light and I read the quality control is just not as good for the BM cameras. Many users have reported weird issues with theirs and I just didn't want to risk dealing with that.

The codecs and recording options for the UMP G2 are awesome though. I will admit at the end of the day I just like Canon's menus and ecosystem so I started out my cinema camera search a bit biased towards Canon.

I

18 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

I considered that camera too, but everything I read stated it does not perform as well as the C200 in low light and I read the quality control is just not as good for the BM cameras. Many users have reported weird issues with theirs and I just didn't want to risk dealing with that.

The codecs and recording options for the UMP G2 are awesome though. I will admit at the end of the day I just like Canon's menus and ecosystem so I started out my cinema camera search a bit biased towards Canon.

Strangely, but I managed to deal with and checked both 🙂 Actually, I had UMP G1 and worked with C200. It seems that G2 finally has stable ISO3200 15 stops performance without fear of any FNP, whitch was main concern to worry with  G1. Looking just to final Image and codec manipulation especially (including cost of media), UMP is far better than C200, at least for narrative movie project - but C200 has the most beautiful and cleverest compact form factor (although cheaper body) I had opportunity to work with... Several month ago I started first to prepare, and than first shooting days of one feature film - and because of working condition (moving quickly, travel abroad to and from Russia including its some wilder area), I decided to base everything on starter kit of 2 Pocket 4k (it was only cine-capable camera that, if something fail, could be buy and replaced quickly everywhere). 

42 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

I think this is where cameras are heading. Higher-end pro tools at higher end pro prices. The mirrorless cameras will be eaten alive by camera phones with 1” sensors and better software. It’s coming.

This is the opposite of what RED has done with the Komodo.   This is the lowest priced RED ever produced. 

The Zcam looks promising but I don't think it will keep it's resale value at all compared to the Komodo.

I think most people don't mind spending more if you get:

- image quality that you don't have to make excuses for

- Great color balance

- A brand that's not going away

- A brand embraced by the cine world

- A future proof camera based on quality

9 minutes ago, Super8 said:

This is the opposite of what RED has done with the Komodo.   This is the lowest priced RED ever produced. 

Yes, but the image seems to be still better than most mirrorless cameras. It has AF. It has the mythical compressed internal RAW everybody wants, it has the DR, it has a more manageable size, it doesn’t have accessory lock-in.

It lacks IBIS, and mirrorless ergos, and weather sealing.

I don’t know. Time will tell. But it might be the better “mirrorless” camera than the latest mirrorless cameras.

RED was smart to offer something like this. It is the gateway drug.

Its still not cheap at 7K or whatever they are going to charge. Twice the price of an A7SIII

2 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Yes, but the image seems to be still better than most mirrorless cameras. It has AF. It has the mythical compressed internal RAW everybody wants, it has the DR, it has a more manageable size, it doesn’t have accessory lock-in.

It lacks IBIS, and mirrorless ergos, and weather sealing.

I don’t know. Time will tell. But it might be the better “mirrorless” camera than the latest mirrorless cameras.

RED was smart to offer something like this. It is the gateway drug.

Good post.  I love the "It is the gateway drug." comment.

I think RED has now given us great organic cine quality image for a little more money than the flagship mirrorless camera.

It's not a hybrid so it's not for everyone.

The Komodo global shutter eliminates the need for IBIS.

I like Komodo approach very much. After following first very disappointing  footage samples, that one last posted finally confirm great quality - and for 6000$ for black version it beats even lowest Dragon. But regarding actual world's circumstances and prospects, it is almost exclusively USA product. It will not help RED to get broader costumers and will still stay as niche product... in the movie art/industry that now is extremely democratized and descended down to masses all round the world.

Knowing little bit of circumstances in China, I'd say that Chinese manufacturers now just desperately wait first decision of some sort of government support to start more seriously to conquer the market. At the moment, BM with extremely swift and clever approach rapidly takes more and more of the widest user base.

1 minute ago, anonim said:

I like Komodo approach very much, after following first very disappointing  footage samples that one last posted finally confirm great quality - and for 6000$ for black version it beats even lowest Dragon. But regarding actual world's circumstances and prospects, it is almost exclusively USA product. It will not help RED to get broader costumers and will still stay as niche product... in the movie art/industry that now is extremely democratized and descended down to masses all round the world.

Knowing little bit of circumstances in Chine, I'd say that Chinese manufacturers now just desperately wait first decision of some sort of government support to start more seriously to conquer the market. At the moment, BM with extremely swift and clever approach rapidly takes more and more of the widest user base.

Why is the Komodo a USA only product?

12 minutes ago, Super8 said:

Why is the Komodo a USA only product?

Simply because of practical reason - it is very hard to buy RED in, say, Eastern Europe, price will be much higher, there's no supporting network in neighborhood, being till now pretty close system doesn't help also (Komodo is better in that regard). To cross boundaries become more and more hard task - say, I personally am not easy traveler (actually in this life phase I hate to travel without highly creative reason) and I have to relay on help and good will of friends or some sort of admirers in UK,  France, USA, China to get such components that look "exotic" from my side... which, as any favor, is not too pleasant experience... (Movie making is not at all my primary creative field, so I have no collegial sort of channels nor, even less, any serious income from that activity... I'm just motivated to start some new creative branch from the beginning and from ground up, simply greatly enjoying process as new-youth game🙂