Did Canon market the EOS R5 at video pros? Yes.

Andrew Reid

1 minute ago, Nugat said:

All Hollywood producers here. Chapeau bas.

Here's some movies  using gopros, David Cronenberg, Ridley Scott... (Netfilx too: "Face 2 Face", all camerawork).

https://filmdaily.co/obsessions/best-movies-made-with-gopros/

GoPros don't overheat.  I've used them and they're pretty reliable.  I've left one running for 8 hours once, connected to an external power device.  How is this at all relevant to a R5?  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
35 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I'm looking forward to all these arctic based movies.

Hahaha! That's the most savage comment in the entire thread. 

(well, following up what @Nugat said first)

19 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

I don't see Netflix or any major studio adding this to their list of approved cameras.  And big productions have no time to pander to cameras such as these.  Why would anyone use a camera that could become a brick after an hour of use, even with 1 to 2 min takes.  Even switching it on, leaving it in a warm room and adjusting the camera settings is adding to that ticking clock and the more takes you do, even switching it on and off will reduce your time down the moment you hit record.  The cool down period is enormous.  Who says the breaks between takes are always that long.  Some simple scenes take 15 or more takes, shot consecutively.  The R5 would be hotter than an oven by then.

It would be a return to the bad old day of REDs! When you always had to have a couple more bodies on standby on set.

1 minute ago, SteveV4D said:

GoPros don't overheat.  I've used them and they're pretty reliable.  I've left one running for 8 hours once, connected to an external power device.  How is this at all relevant to a R5?  

R5 does not overheat in the standard Hollywood 4k/24.  You can leave it on "record" for as long as your storage/PS last. The picture quality is somewhat better that gopro.  In either case, we are not talking "A" cameras here. 

Many Cannon fans are saying

"That's OK,...I can work arround the heat. I only shoot short clips anyway..."

These guys ARE going to find that they get burned with shutdowns more than they anticipated. Its going to hit them when they LEAST want it to. 

I predict that the used market will be FLOODED with R5's starting in 6 months and we will see WAY more R5's for sale on eBay than we would normally see.

The R5 resale value is going to be terrible and Cannon makes zero dollars from resold cameras.

4 minutes ago, Nugat said:

R5 does not overheat in the standard Hollywood 4k/24.  You can leave it on "record" for as long as your storage/PS last. The picture quality is somewhat better that gopro.  In either case, we are not talking "A" cameras here. 

That line skipping mush is certainly superior IQ to GoPro, I admit, but not as good as S1H.  However GoPros are smaller, and still going to be used where GoPros are required.  Like a documentary series I saw, where it was attached to a helmet of the presenter as he went underground.  The R5 is small, but not that small. 🤣🤣🤣

29 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

That line skipping mush is certainly superior IQ to GoPro, I admit, but not as good as S1H.  However GoPros are smaller, and still going to be used where GoPros are required.  Like a documentary series I saw, where it was attached to a helmet of the presenter as he went underground.  The R5 is small, but not that small. 🤣🤣🤣

Panasonic is fantastic, but can't do 8k raw for FX/greenscreen.  I use various : Arri, Sony, RED, Panasonic, Blackmagic, Canon...   Horses for courses. Of course, if someone's workflow imposes  only one camera, it's his/her choice of the model, depending on the job. We are lucky to have so many options 🙂 

1 hour ago, Nugat said:

Panasonic is fantastic, but can't do 8k raw for FX/greenscreen.  

I would debate the R5 heavily for that line of work.  Green screen work can be complex to setup and film and the R5s overheating would make it very impractical.  The S1H has 6K and can even output RAW to a recorder via a proper HDMI port; making it more reliable for sure.  Besides who uses a hybrid for that work anyway.   At which point do you turn to dedicated video cameras.  The new Blackmagic would be more suited to that line of work.  I would even favour the Pocket 6K.  BRAW is a lot easier on the system than 8K RAW from Canon.  The only video I saw taken from 8K RAW, the poster said his machine crashed several times working on it.  In fact he doubted he'd use 8K RAW much for that reason.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Nugat said:

Panasonic is fantastic, but can't do 8k raw for FX/greenscreen.

Neither can the R5

6K is perfectly fine for green screen. Going to 8K brings only marginal benefits and is more taxing in post.

6 hours ago, Leica50mm said:

These folk here can’t understand that.  The average shot in a commercial is about a second .

i think their brains are hit with the Almighty  ‘cripple hammer “ which they refer to constantly.

i can’t wait to see the.great creative work done with this awesome tool. 
And it will be .

Unsure if joking or not. Guessing not. Funny post either way. 

6 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

Many Cannon fans are saying

"That's OK,...I can work arround the heat. I only shoot short clips anyway..."

These guys ARE going to find that they get burned with shutdowns more than they anticipated. Its going to hit them when they LEAST want it to. 

I predict that the used market will be FLOODED with R5's starting in 6 months and we will see WAY more R5's for sale on eBay than we would normally see.

The R5 resale value is going to be terrible and Cannon makes zero dollars from resold cameras.

Yeah, when you have people saying the overheating warning came on after leaving the camera on for 20 minutes before even hitting record, they're gonna be in for a rude awakening for sure. 

Apparently, this is not Canon's first time for overheating during video.  Based on the below response Canon's PR has actually improved with the R5.  😂

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Announcements/PowerShot-G7-X-Mark-III-Notice-Regarding-Erroneous-Warning/m-p/279102#M409

"Canon has identified a phenomenon with the PowerShot G7X Mark III where the camera may display an erroneous temperature warning soon after the start of movie recording. This phenomenon can be resolved by performing the following steps:

1) Power on the camera and Re-enter (or set) the Date, Time & Time Zone.

2) Turn off the camera and leave powered off for at least 90 minutes.

3) After at least 90 minutes, power the camera on again.

After following this procedure, the erroneous warning should not recur."

10 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

I would debate the R5 heavily for that line of work.  Green screen work can be complex to setup and film and the R5s overheating would make it very impractical.  The S1H has 6K and can even output RAW to a recorder via a proper HDMI port; making it more reliable for sure.  Besides who uses a hybrid for that work anyway.   At which point do you turn to dedicated video cameras.  The new Blackmagic would be more suited to that line of work.  I would even favour the Pocket 6K.  BRAW is a lot easier on the system than 8K RAW from Canon.  The only video I saw taken from 8K RAW, the poster said his machine crashed several times working on it.  In fact he doubted he'd use 8K RAW much for that reason.

The other big negative for Canons is their rolling shutter, which Panasonic tends to do better at. 

And for VFX / Green Screen work it is critical to have rolling shutter under control. 

15 hours ago, Leica50mm said:

These folk here can’t understand that.  The average shot in a commercial is about a second .

i think their brains are hit with the Almighty  ‘cripple hammer “ which they refer to constantly.

i can’t wait to see the.great creative work done with this awesome tool. 
And it will be .

The average shot may be a second, but if you've ever been on the set of a commercial, you'd know that shot took 4 hours to make.

17 minutes ago, Lux Shots said:

The average shot may be a second, but if you've ever been on the set of a commercial, you'd know that shot took 4 hours to make.

And anybody that’s ever been on an actual set (rather than an Internet forum) the camera is on the entire time for setup before the take.

Bang goes your R5. Could the talent just hang around for 2 hours before we go again?

Ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, Nezza said:

And anybody that’s ever been on an actual set (rather than an Internet forum) the camera is on the entire time for setup before the take.

The gulf in knowledge between those who just hang out on forums / amateur hobbyists and those who are full time professionals is unfortunately just ridiculously large. 

33 minutes ago, Lux Shots said:

33 minutes ago, Lux Shots said:

Right, and who in their right mind would be using this for a commercial ?

You guys seem to think that somehow this camera is going to end up being used on high end productions . It’s so astoundingly ignorant.