Phones as Camera... what's yours?

sev7en

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 minutes ago, lebigmac said:

What is about the color depth in video on devices like the S20? Is ist possible to shoot Log-like (and does it make sense)?

The Samsung S20 can save video as HDR10+, and in my opinion it looks great (considering it's a cell phone). Premiere misinterpret the values by default, but from my testing it seems like all the information is recovered simply by adjusting the exposure/highlights.

I don't have any specific data regarding the actual colour depth.

1 hour ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

The Samsung S20 can save video as HDR10+, and in my opinion it looks great (considering it's a cell phone). Premiere misinterpret the values by default, but from my testing it seems like all the information is recovered simply by adjusting the exposure/highlights.

I don't have any specific data regarding the actual colour depth.

Looking into the filmic pro docs, I understood from the text that the phone data is 8 bit. http://www.filmicpro.com/FilmicProUserManualv6.pdf p.42, but I didn't understand a whole lot of it, to be honest.

3 minutes ago, lebigmac said:

Looking into the filmic pro docs, I understood from the text that the phone data is 8 bit. http://www.filmicpro.com/FilmicProUserManualv6.pdf p.42, but I didn't understand a whole lot of it, to be honest.

I don't use FilmicPro and it seems like that documentation is for iPhones.

The S20 is able to use HEVC which I believe is 4:2:0, 10 bit h265.

I have no idea how they implement their HDR10+, but it wouldn't surprise me if 3rd party programs such as FilmicPro have problems using this features.

I use a Samsung S10e. I actually really like the photos from it until you look at them on a big screen or zoom in. The amount of sharpening they apply is truly diabolical and there's no option to reduce it! The colours and dynamic range are great though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Might wait and see how the new pixel 5 turns out. They bump the clarity up in their photos but the portrait modes look the best imo. Unfortunately, I don't think Huawei is a viable option these days. I can't have a phone that fights me when there are so many good options out there. 

I have a Pixel 2 that I bought as a camera and used it that way for a year until finally deciding to use it as a smartphone. It took far better photos than the Sony RX100 mark iii that I used to use as my travel camera, although the RX100 had it beat in low-light situations of course. I got disenchanted with Android due to the short (2 to 3 year) support cycle (I kept my previous cell phone going for 10+ years) and it looked like alternative ROMS such as Lineage wouldn't work on the Pixel, so I ended up switching to the new iPhone SE, which was a big mistake from the camera perspective. I hate most of the photos it takes; video is a bit better but for photos I've gone back to a real camera or else I bring the Pixel 2 without a SIM card.

I use Filmic pro on iPhone 11 Pro Max and you can get a lot of control and pretty impressive results. The biggest thing I miss is the physical interaction with traditional camera body but there's hell of a lot of positives to having it phone sized and on you all the time.

10 hours ago, sanveer said:

My old very phone pic. With a few tweaks. 

48MP-01.thumb.jpeg.7678954a7cad558cc2a06aae2dbc774d.jpeg

It is lovable, congrats! The artefacts on the back I guess are the limitation of the phone you used. The phone on foreground is simply beautiful.

10 hours ago, sanveer said:

Is this from JPEG or RAW. Dynamic range is impressive but the noise reduction is quite aggressive. 

Hello, it is a JPEG and yes shooted in HDR enabled with a zoom factor of 3x (I was very far as you can realize}. Lot of noise, right, but I guess not easy photo for any unit.

7 hours ago, gatopardo said:

I use FilmicPro with samsung S9 and with sharpening turned off the image is quite nice and creamy. THe problem is the low inertia of such a weightless device gives a lot camera shake .  OIS is horrible in any case so not a solution. 

I have to try it with my P40Pro or Mate 30 Pro 5G... before I had the X50Pro with the Gimbal argh..... it was good to use that app with it.

2 hours ago, sev7en said:

It is lovable, congrats! The artefacts on the back I guess are the limitation of the phone you used. The phone on foreground is simply beautiful.

Thank you. There are some artefacts on 1-2 leaves. Maybe they were due to fingerprints on the lens (or perhaps flair, due to sunlight from a certain angle). The artefacts on the back maybe were due to the fact that I was very close to the flower. Are you referring to the vignetting or depth or field or something. 

2 hours ago, sev7en said:

Hello, it is a JPEG and yes shooted in HDR enabled with a zoom factor of 3x (I was very far as you can realize}. Lot of noise, right, but I guess not easy photo for any unit.

Aaah ok. Maybe it was due to camera shake or something. Maybe you didn't hold the camera, in this shot, that steady. 

On 8/5/2020 at 12:32 AM, Inazuma said:

I use a Samsung S10e. I actually really like the photos from it until you look at them on a big screen or zoom in. The amount of sharpening they apply is truly diabolical and there's no option to reduce it! The colours and dynamic range are great though. 

I have the same phone, I love the camera. Mostly the Night mode. But now I realize I never downloaded them to the Mac and never saw them on a big screen! 😬

I think the technology in phones is great. I used an Oppo for a couple of months before 4K became available in the GH4 and the same seems to be happening again with 8K. Obviously only good for certain conditions. 

I usually have my little Fuji XE camera for street. But have been happy with the Adonit PhotoGrip for any phone or the Bitplay Snap line for iPhones. Last one I had was great with a rubber thumb rest, decent grip and mechanical shutter button. The Adonit and others use Bluetooth for their shutter= slight lag. Great alternative to a GR for probably something like £40.

I wish more phone manufacturers would persist at combining camera ergonomics. Sony have a shutter button in a good place, but even a tiny grip makes a massive difference imo. They all seem to have tried and failed.

Just had a quick look and China have ripped off the Adonit style, which was already good value, with the one below. Delivery from China is taking forever at the moment but will get one if well reviewed as it's soon rainy season and flagship phones can be used in very heavy tropical rain, unlike my camera.

Screenshot_20200815-001700_Lazada.thumb.jpg.b3d5290f1974f9dee9da701a57162986.jpg

Screenshot_20200815-001723_Lazada.thumb.jpg.c459a2d9aab43efe7dffb5357dbeb897.jpg