C100 Sharp prime? 35mm vs 50mm?

Jeremy Clark

Hi All, 

I've recently moved to a C100 from a 5DII, so I'm getting used to the crop sensor thing. I'm used to shoot 50mm for interviews and such on the 5D, and want to get a sharp prime for the C100 for interviews, lockdowns, etc.

2 questions:

• 35mm vs 50mm? 
    • 35mm = ~50mm on the super 35 sensor, thoughts? 
  • Which lens do you recommend? Considering Cine, but not married to it. 

Thanks!!

- Jeremy

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 is amazing. I used it all the time when I had a C100, which imo is a great camera.

I'm fond of the 35mm f1.4 Nikkor but it's more soft/vintage.

The 28mm f1.8 Canon is underrated but has significant CA.

The Rokinons are the cheapest cinema lenses if you really care about mechanics, and the 35mm f1.4 is fine.

8 minutes ago, Jeremy Clark said:

Thanks yall! Any opinion on the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 vs the canon 17-55 2.8? Thats the other lens I keep having be recommended to me. 

I've owned both and used both with the C100, they're both really good. Sigma is sharper, more modern rendering. Canon is a little softer and not as fast and the IS isn't the best... but it also does it all. At 55mm it has pretty good macro abilities and that's long enough for interviews (imo 35mm is a bit wide for headshots) and the IS is smooth enough.

So you can't go wrong but it depends on your needs. On a tripod and if you have another 50mm, the Sigma for sure. If you only buy one lens, maybe a used 17-55mm, they're pretty cheap these days.

I didn't get any vignetting with the 17-55mm that I remember, but rarely used it at 17mm so I could be wrong.

21 minutes ago, Jeremy Clark said:

Thanks yall! Any opinion on the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 vs the canon 17-55 2.8? Thats the other lens I keep having be recommended to me. 

17-55 is more versatile. IS, more focal range, lighter. 

The sigma is faster, sharper, longer focus throw, honestly its a really high end piece of glass. Kind of a holy grail for APSC. Some don't like that its too perfect to the point of being a bit clinical looking.