New Lens Advice Needed - C100 mkii

Jeremy Clark

Hi all, read a lot of posts on here, but first time posting. I'm looking for new lens(es) recommendations based on the type of shooting I do. I want something sharp and reasonably fast, as a do a number of aesthetic shots along with my "everything in focus" work. 

I'm specifically looking for recommendations for:

• Lock down/interviews
  • Run and Gun/Gimbal shooting. 

Background of my types of shoots:

I shoot with a c100 mkii as my main cam, and have a 5DII as a backup/B-cam (infrequently used). I primarily shoot the following:

• Industrial / Commercial info & training videos
    • Lots of run and gun in active work zones
      • construction, rock quarries, etc capturing B-roll of activity. maybe a 50/50 mix of catching things as they happen, and being able to somewhat stage or repeat something. Little to no control over lighting/environment. Shot handheld, on Ronin S, or on tripod (depending on circumstance)
    • Sit down interviews/direct to camera
      • Indoor / outdoor, no studio shoots. If indoors, its a conference room or other open area with limited light control (I have 4 lights, but usually time is working against us, so its very basic lighting). Outdoor is usually with equipment talking through it, or outside the office showing it off. 
  • Church/Corporate shoots
    • Mostly sit down interviews, more controlled environment, a little more time to work with lighting
    • Some limited B-roll, again on stabilizer or tripod
  • Small Business Promos
    • Some sitdown/direct to camera, indoors or out
    • Some B-roll of their facilities, products, etc that they are promoting. 

Currently have the following lenses:

• Canon 28-135 3.5-5.6
    • Looks good overall, not amazing. Zoom is a bit loose, so it easily will change focal length if I'm not careful
  • Sigma - EX DG HSM 50mm 1.4
    • Love the image, but manual focus on this thing is terrible. Ring is really gritty/sticks, so I can't use it with my focus motor (which is fatal flaw for gimbal use for me). AF works fine. 
  • Olympus SLR 50mm 2.8 (mid 80's)
    • Grabbed this out of Dad's old kit when I started shooting with a 7D and needed something. Surprisingly ok on the 5D, haven't really used on the c100, but its not the best image really - acceptable for run and gun B-roll and a few aesthetic shots. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

Canon 17-55mm f2.8

I used this lens with the C100 II to shoot docs and short films. It's a perfect match.

Was heavily leaning towards that for my zoom, interested in a really sharp prime as well for my lockdowns/interviews. Any recommendations there? Thinking about Cine lenses also (xeen or canon). 

Any thoughts on 35mm vs 50mm for prime on the C100? With the 1.4 crop, 35mm = ~50mm, and I'm used to using 50mm on the FF 5DII. 

That 17-55 2.8 is great but it would not be able to be used on your 5dii.

What about the little 40 2. STM?   Slightly shorter "normal" on your 5d, slightly longer on your C100 and is cheap but still a nice lens.

I used it for stills though (on M43, Canon APSC and Sony FF).

19 hours ago, Jeremy Clark said:

Lots of run and gun in active work zones

• construction, rock quarries, etc capturing B-roll of activity. maybe a 50/50 mix of catching things as they happen, and being able to somewhat stage or repeat something. Little to no control over lighting/environment. Shot handheld, on Ronin S, or on tripod (depending on circumstance)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1246187-REG/canon_1714c002_cn_e_18_80mm_t4_4_compact_servo.html

Canon CN-E 18-80mm T4.4, is a very affordable "cinema zoom", with a wide zoom range. 

T4.4 isn't the fastest, but with the C100's good sensitivity, it will be workable. 

While it is a lightweight lens, it isn't suitable for usage on the Ronin. Get the Canon EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Lens for that purpose, is extremely lightweight, and is a STM lens so DPAF should be great. 

If you need wiiiider than the mid-wide that a 24mm is, then consider the Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens

If the 18-80 is waaaay outside your price range, then consider the massively massively cheaper Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens

Sit down interviews/direct to camera

• Indoor / outdoor, no studio shoots. If indoors, its a conference room or other open area with limited light control (I have 4 lights, but usually time is working against us, so its very basic lighting). Outdoor is usually with equipment talking through it, or outside the office showing it off. 

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens for the shallow f1.8 and the short portrait 50mm FoV on APS-C/S35
Would have quieter/better DPAF performance than there is with your Sigma - EX DG HSM 50mm 1.4 I presume 

• Church/Corporate shoots
    • Mostly sit down interviews, more controlled environment, a little more time to work with lighting
    • Some limited B-roll, again on stabilizer or tripod
  • Small Business Promos
    • Some sitdown/direct to camera, indoors or out
    • Some B-roll of their facilities, products, etc that they are promoting. 

You can go with the same lenses I recommended above already.

I shoot with a c100 mkii as my main cam, and have a 5DII as a backup/B-cam (infrequently used).

Would recommend you ditch the 5Dmk2 as soon as you can, and upgrade to a better B Cam. Especially for interviews/promos it can be handy to have a second bonus angle. You can could for instance consider getting a Canon EOS M50 for cheap, which would be a nice match for your C100

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Would recommend you ditch the 5Dmk2 as soon as you can, and upgrade to a better B Cam. Especially for interviews/promos it can be handy to have a second bonus angle. You can could for instance consider getting a Canon EOS M50 for cheap, which would be a nice match for your C100

Out of curiosity, what do you not like about the 5dii? I know its old, but I rarely use it - I still do some photography with it, which I like, and its nice if the C100 is locked down for an interview and I want to go grab some B-roll. 

I saw you mentioned the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens - I happen to have the 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS already. Its ok, not amazing. Any thoughts on how the two compare? 

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Clark said:

Out of curiosity, what do you not like about the 5dii? I know its old, but I rarely use it - I still do some photography with it, which I like, and its nice if the C100 is locked down for an interview and I want to go grab some B-roll. 

The image quality is lacking by modern standards, and it lacks the biggest feature in Canon's favor: DPAF. 

And the likes of an M50 is dirt cheap, and would completely your C100 well in a seamless manner. 

7 minutes ago, Jeremy Clark said:

I saw you mentioned the Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens - I happen to have the 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS already. Its ok, not amazing. Any thoughts on how the two compare? 

Well, I suggested the Canon CN-E 18-80mm T4.4 first of all!

The 18-135mm was just a secondary thought, as a dirt cheap option to consider if the Cine Zoom was too expensive. And yes, I noted already that you've got a 28-135, but in my opinion 28mm wide end on S35 is too restrictive for a general purpose run & gun lens. There is a massive massive difference between 18mm and 28mm

3 hours ago, ade towell said:

Funnily enough am thinking of selling C100 and if I do will also sell the Canon 17-55mm 2.8 and 18-135mm STM lenses if you're in the UK and interested. (Also have 35mm 2.8 I.S. with macro and Sigma 105mm 2.8 IS macro)

I'm actually in the US, but appreciate the offer!

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The image quality is lacking by modern standards, and it lacks the biggest feature in Canon's favor: DPAF. 

And the likes of an M50 is dirt cheap, and would completely your C100 well in a seamless manner. 

Well, I suggested the Canon CN-E 18-80mm T4.4 first of all!

The 18-135mm was just a secondary thought, as a dirt cheap option to consider if the Cine Zoom was too expensive. And yes, I noted already that you've got a 28-135, but in my opinion 28mm wide end on S35 is too restrictive for a general purpose run & gun lens. There is a massive massive difference between 18mm and 28mm

Thanks for the insight!

If you are considering an all around workhorse to replace the 28-135 - I strongly recommend the Canon 24-70 f.4 L - obviously its not 18mm like @IronFilm has mentioned, and it is only a small improvement from your current 28mm. But consider the other benefits - its an L lens so it is weather sealed, constant f-stop of 4.0 and even though it is not as long as your current 135 - it has a Macro function at 70mm so you can really close-in when you want to (great for B-roll stuff). 

Also consider replacing the 50mm with a 85mm if you are replacing the 28-135.

Hi Jeremy,

I love the image and OIS on the 17-55mm f2.8, but do be aware that it suffers from zoom creep! Great run and gun lens when you can hold the zoom ring, but if you are on a tripod or forget to hold the zoom ring and point up or down then expect your lens to retract/slide out.

Apparently some people do own copies that don't creep, and other's hack it with an elastic band, but it wasn't acceptable for me for professional uses so sent it back. Such a shame.

I am saving up for the Canon 18-80mm T4.4. For low light I will my Sigma 18-35mm and accept a bit of shake when handheld.

I've ordered the Sigma 18-35 F/1.8 to start off, I've just read so many good things and have had it recommended more than the Canon 17-55. I'm still keeping my eye open for the right zoom/telephoto for my longer shoot, but will keep with the 28-135 for the time being. There's been plenty of times I've needed all 135mm because I couldn't get physically closer, so I'm wary of anything too much shorter than that. 

I was watching Planet Earth II, and saw them with the 30-300 Cine. Now THERE'S my ideal lens! Lol. Just $45k, no biggie. 

10 hours ago, Jeremy Clark said:

I was watching Planet Earth II, and saw them with the 30-300 Cine. Now THERE'S my ideal lens! Lol. Just $45k, no biggie. 

Is a biggie lens!

12.8 lb / 5.8 kg, good luck handholding that all day long. 

And 13.47" / 342.1 mm long too