Will Canon recall the EOS R5? Small first shipments

Andrew Reid

18 hours ago, hoodlum said:

Bill Claff just mentioned that the R5 is applying NR up to ISO 640 that is improving DR by 2/3 stop.  So a bit of trickery by Canon in order to match Sony's DR.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64212513

I would also take Photons to photos with a grain of salt as he uses the manufacturers ISOs for his charts I believe ( 200 ISO in one camera when a different one might be using 400 ISO for the same setting.

There was some discussion about it on a site that must not be named.

I would rather go by DXO (which i understand is where Bill Claff gets his data from?).    They might not always get it right with the subjective stuff but as a guide i think it is fine.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

For all the people that believe that Cine camcorder markets and mirrorless markets don't overlap. I'm a perfect example that the DO. I sold my Sony FS7 and was literally 2 days away from buying a Panasonic EVA-1. Then Lumix announced the S1H and that stopped be cold in my tracks. I wound up buying the S1H instead and I'm perfectly happy about replacing my FS7 and (almost) EVA-1 with the S1H. I pre-ordered the A7S-III because I want one of my cameras to have PDAF and will add it as B-cam to my S1H. 

The rumored Sony FX6? Sounded tempting at first....but with the A7S-III, I no longer have any use for an FX6.

Yeah...the mirror less and pro camcorder markets DO overlap....substantially.

Interesting.

EVA1 and S1H are two years apart and I would say the EVA1 still has better footage, especially higher frame rates. You need the XLR-1 adapter to match audio. The EVA1 does have a shit screen so there is that.

You are comparing a high-end mirrorless camera to a lower-end cinema camera. Of course they will overlap a little bit.

I do get why FX9 owners are mad though.

16 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Interesting.

EVA1 and S1H are two years apart and I would say the EVA1 still has better footage, especially higher frame rates. You need the XLR-1 adapter to match audio. The EVA1 does have a shit screen so there is that.

You are comparing a high-end mirrorless camera to a lower-end cinema camera. Of course they will overlap a little bit.

I do get why FX9 owners are mad though.

How do you think its better at 24-30p? 

2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

EVA1 has better highlight retention. Color is debatable. The 120p from the S1H is not great either. They are very close in all honesty.

Interesting. Yeah the higher frame rates were kind of a bummer from the S1H. I just tested my S1 against my URSA 4.6K and the S1 was very very close in the highlights. It also won out in the shadows. 

4 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

EVA1 has better highlight retention. Color is debatable. The 120p from the S1H is not great either. They are very close in all honesty.

Have you compared the two directly? I prefer the EVA1's color to the S1 and S1H but I found the highlight detail to be identical at least within the margin of error of the lenses I compared with, so a third of a stop maybe. +6 over 18% gray on both I think.

On 7/31/2020 at 6:42 AM, herein2020 said:

And maybe it is just me, but if this camera is so close to overheating at all times, I have a hard time believing that it will never overheat just taking pictures. I know there haven't been any reports of this yet, but if 20-30 pictures pushed this camera to report 0min for video....that sounds like it may not make it through a 12hr wedding in Florida on a 95F day with 100% humidity.

This photographer normally uses a 5D and 1D for his motocross events and was able to use an R5 under similar conditions yesterday.  So it is possible to overheat the R5 taking only photos.

https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/gerald-undone-completes-exhaustive-record-time-testing-on-the-canon-eos-r5-and-canon-eos-r6.38979/page-4#post-851397

"I got to use an r5 today out at a Motocross event and well it turned off from only doing photos. This was using the ef to rf adapter and a 200mm f2. This was used for over a time period of 2.5-3 hrs and it was 86 degrees out. I’m glad that I didn’t buy it and needless to say my friend who did is pretty disappointed. I love 1d bodies"

"Yup. Only stills. I think we use two or three batteries.Full disclosure I leaned on the shutter a lot I fired off a few thousand rounds and which by the way I must say that tracking is pretty incredible. Auto shut off was at 1 min. Yes I know it was warm out but doing photos then looking at them and doing photos and looking at them you wouldn’t think that a camera would get so warm that it would shut off from stills."

"I had just got done shooting a burst and looked at the photos that were captured and the red thermometer was flashing and I proceeded to shoot more then the camera stopped. It took somewhere between 10-15 min to start working again. After this tho I quit using it"

8 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

So it is possible to overheat the R5 taking only photos.

So the canboys whose get out clause was 'I only use the R5 for stills, not video.'

What are you using it for now - a 4 grand canon themed paper weight? 

14 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

This photographer normally uses a 5D and 1D for his motocross events and was able to use an R5 under similar conditions yesterday.  So it is possible to overheat the R5 taking only photos.

https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/gerald-undone-completes-exhaustive-record-time-testing-on-the-canon-eos-r5-and-canon-eos-r6.38979/page-4#post-851397

"I got to use an r5 today out at a Motocross event and well it turned off from only doing photos. This was using the ef to rf adapter and a 200mm f2. This was used for over a time period of 2.5-3 hrs and it was 86 degrees out. I’m glad that I didn’t buy it and needless to say my friend who did is pretty disappointed. I love 1d bodies"

"Yup. Only stills. I think we use two or three batteries.Full disclosure I leaned on the shutter a lot I fired off a few thousand rounds and which by the way I must say that tracking is pretty incredible. Auto shut off was at 1 min. Yes I know it was warm out but doing photos then looking at them and doing photos and looking at them you wouldn’t think that a camera would get so warm that it would shut off from stills."

"I had just got done shooting a burst and looked at the photos that were captured and the red thermometer was flashing and I proceeded to shoot more then the camera stopped. It took somewhere between 10-15 min to start working again. After this tho I quit using it"

That's pretty crazy but makes perfect sense like I said previously.....no way it being that close to overheating would it not overheat taking images as well. That wasn't even 95F it was just 86F. This camera is truly not fit for purpose....any purpose, period. I shoot runway fashion shows, they are indoors, and air conditioned, but I would lose all credibility in the local fashion community if I missed half a show waiting for the camera to cool down. Also, it has already been proven that ambient temps don't matter that much...heat builds up no matter what you are doing with the camera. 

5 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

That's wild that it overheats shooting just photos. 

What a disaster! The 5-series is mostly used by professionals that can't afford to wait for the camera to cool down.
Just imagine doing a wedding and it overheating 😬 

At least the DSLR series is still reliable. Might permanently damage the mirrorless series for Canon if they do not do a recall.

13 hours ago, hoodlum said:

Great news, now canon cant ignore the videoshooters anymore. I guess they will have to try to fix it or release a new camera(faster then normal).

Just commented in the Dpreview post exactly what you've said, @Andrew Reid - the R5 was and is marketed as a professional video tool.

But I guess that they only could do a recall if the overheating happens constantly in stills modes too.

In the photo forums that I've looked, they are giving a damn about video overheating. And stills shooters still (no pun intended) makes the most of the sales.

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Just commented in the Dpreview post exactly what you've said, @Andrew Reid - the R5 was and is marketed as a professional video tool.

Yes it absolutely was marketed at professionals for video.

So does that make it a professional video tool? In my view, yes!

It doesn't have to be a C500 Mark II with SDI and XLR jacks to be marketed at professionals for cinematography, as Canon is doing with the R5.

And you expect it to do what it says on the tin as well.

Not everybody will research the overheating problems before buying one.

1 minute ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

In the photo forums that I've looked, they are giving a damn about video overheating. And stills shooters still (no pun intended) makes the most of the sales.

Yes well they could be in for a surprise as well because in stills mode, live-view = video.

It is continuously doing a video feed to the LCD and EVF in stills mode.

So let's see how it lasts in that mode over the duration of say, a wedding.

5 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

I've posted a few things to DpReview... but you may as well talk to the wall.  Despite posters caring mainly about Photography, they don't half get mad and reply a lot if you criticise the video aspect.  Why do they care?  Weird.. 

A few seem to be looking forward trying 8K despite the overheating problems..  they seem to feel because it is RAW, it'll be a doddle to work with on their computer... 

• Administrators

Haha that's the big irony on that forum isn't it... Full of people who don't care about video and a dead video section, but woe betide anyone who upsets them with video comments!

The 8K overheating... Well your £500 card will fill up before it gets to 20 mins so that's not the only issue 👍😆

9 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Haha that's the big irony on that forum isn't it... Full of people who don't care about video and a dead video section, but woe betide anyone who upsets them with video comments!

The 8K overheating... Well your £500 card will fill up before it gets to 20 mins so that's not the only issue 👍😆

I actually got banned from Canon Rumors because I was the first one to call the overheating problems complete BS.  I was the first one there to say it is completely unfit for purpose as soon as I saw Peter McKinnon grudgingly admit that it overheated and I knew it was a much bigger problem than he was letting on if even a Canon "Explorer of Light" felt like he had to admit it overheated.

At CR literally everyone was/still is giving Canon a pass and it is ridiculous.  I would pick my Canon Rebel to shoot a wedding over an R5 or R6 right now and you know what...my clients probably would not be able to tell the difference; but they would certainly know if I completely missed their vows because my camera bricked itself for 3hrs. I have a music video project coming up and we are bringing in talent, coordinating on the weather and date, in the middle of scheduling; I can only imagine having to tell the client we are going to have to wait half the day while my gear cools down as everyone is standing around on his tab.

These two cameras literally might as well stick to cat videos because I don't see anyone trusting them on a professional set.