Will Canon recall the EOS R5? Small first shipments

Andrew Reid

"Cinema Line" of any camera manufacturer is not only about picture quality. It's also about reliability, workflow standards, service reaction time... FX9 is at the bottom of Sony cinema line, a one-man-show camera. But it borrows the 6k sensor from the top Venice and the lens mount is cinema modified. That alone might cost more than A7s. It also has unique functions like electronic auto ND filter. In October it will get firmware 2.0 and RAW hardware. A7s bricked on one tester when he put the overheating  control option to "off". The media were destroyed. Why would Sony even enable such a function? Will they remove it after some productions lose their media? Fortunately Canon R5 does not allow to shoot past the danger point.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, Nugat said:

"Cinema Line" of any camera manufacturer is not only about picture quality. It's also about reliability, workflow standards, service reaction time... FX9 is at the bottom of Sony cinema line, a one-man-show camera. But it borrows the 6k sensor from the top Venice and the lens mount is cinema modified. That alone might cost more than A7s. It also has unique functions like electronic auto ND filter. In October it will get firmware 2.0 and RAW hardware. A7s bricked on one tester when he put the overheating  control option to "off". The media were destroyed. Why would Sony even enable such a function? Will they remove it after some productions lose their media? Fortunately Canon R5 does not allow to shoot past the danger point.

Valid points. I wasn't aware of the bricking problem- that sounds bad! Does that RAW hardware come with the FX9 or is Sony making people pay for it? I think this might be the specific point that FX9 owners were peed-off about. As for the R5, I think it has yet to be seen how it behaves under duress... all we know for sure is the insane overheating wait-times, making it unusable for many types of shooting.

For all the people that believe that Cine camcorder markets and mirrorless markets don't overlap. I'm a perfect example that the DO. I sold my Sony FS7 and was literally 2 days away from buying a Panasonic EVA-1. Then Lumix announced the S1H and that stopped be cold in my tracks. I wound up buying the S1H instead and I'm perfectly happy about replacing my FS7 and (almost) EVA-1 with the S1H. I pre-ordered the A7S-III because I want one of my cameras to have PDAF and will add it as B-cam to my S1H. 

The rumored Sony FX6? Sounded tempting at first....but with the A7S-III, I no longer have any use for an FX6.

Yeah...the mirror less and pro camcorder markets DO overlap....substantially.

7 minutes ago, Cliff Totten said:

For all the people that believe that Cine camcorder markets and mirrorless markets don't overlap. I'm a perfect example that the DO. I sold my Sony FS7 and was literally 2 days away from buying a Panasonic EVA-1. Then Lumix announced the S1H and that stopped be cold in my tracks. I wound up buying the S1H instead and I'm perfectly happy about replacing my FS7 and (almost) EVA-1 with the S1H. I pre-ordered the A7S-III because I want one of my cameras to have PDAF and will add it as B-cam to my S1H. 

The rumored Sony FX6? Sounded tempting at first....but with the A7S-III, I no longer have any use for an FX6.

So what you're saying is that Panasonic lost about 2000 pounds with your buying the S1H rather than the EVA-1 because they made a mirrorless camera that sufficed your needs. Interesting. I'm sure someone is paying attention to that.

25 minutes ago, Cliff Totten said:

How dose your S1H footage the FS7 ?  And where do you think the A7S3 will line up to the S1h ?  I'm asking this because you're mixing two different color theories into the mix. 

Cine camcorder DP's haven't crossed over is the issue.   It seems like you have a few that use mirror-less with cine cams but if given the choice their going for cine cams. 

15 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

as advertised in one situation but not another?

https://www.canonrumors.com/gerald-undone-completes-exhaustive-record-time-testing-on-the-canon-eos-r5-and-canon-eos-r6/

Getald has done similar test but indoor about the same record time as Canon has published.....

seems almost timer controlled than temp controlled...... if a firmware fix will ever come out this is the change maxTime = maxTime * 1.5😂😂

If I get it right you could get 4k hq external for 75min but I hate external recorders......

4 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

https://www.canonrumors.com/gerald-undone-completes-exhaustive-record-time-testing-on-the-canon-eos-r5-and-canon-eos-r6/

Getald has done similar test but indoor about the same record time as Canon has published.....

seems almost timer controlled than temp controlled...... if a firmware fix will ever come out this is the change maxTime = maxTime * 1.5😂😂

Which seems to corroborate the idea that Canon is recalling its R5 and R6 lineup, due to terrible heat management issue. Heating up is Not the issue, the inability to cool down, even after the camera has been switched off is. 

1 minute ago, sanveer said:

Which seems to corroborate the idea that Canon is recalling its R5 and R6 lineup, due to terrible heat management issue. Heating up is Not the issue, the inability to cool down, even after the camera has been switched off is. 

why? they publish the data and it matches the 3 party tests... why a business would recall a camera that it performs according to the data that they did publish and is selling a lot..... The recovery times are well specified on canon doc so nothing surprising.... disappointing yes..... but not surprising....

It will cost them a fortune to do the recall to make  the rather small video segment happy. If I would be canon I would announce a R5c ... 700$ more in a body with fan..... video oriented people would be very happy... no recall and most people that are just doing a few short clip are happy with the current R5

On the photo part of the world it seems a gold rush to get one.... 

Just now, gt3rs said:

why? they publish the data and it matches the 3 party tests... why a business would recall a camera that it performs according to the data that they did publish and is selling a lot..... The recovery times are well specified on canon doc so nothing surprising.... disappointing yes..... but not surprising....

It will cost them a fortune to do the recall to make  the rather small video segment happy. If I would be canon I would announce a R5c ... 700$ more in a body with fan..... video oriented people would be very happy... no recall and most people that are just doing a few short clip are happy with the current R5

You do realise that it overheats when it is switched on, regardless sof whether you shoot photo or video. Which means, if you shoot enough photo, it will overheat then, as well. So it's not an issues endemic to shooting video alone. As long as the camera switches on, it is overheating. 

1 hour ago, John Matthews said:

Valid points. I wasn't aware of the bricking problem- that sounds bad! Does that RAW hardware come with the FX9 or is Sony making people pay for it? I think this might be the specific point that FX9 owners were peed-off about. As for the R5, I think it has yet to be seen how it behaves under duress... all we know for sure is the insane overheating wait-times, making it unusable for many types of shooting.

That's the complete test of 7As3 vs R5. The info about Sony bricking and destroying media is in the comments, the author did not want to sound alarms before checking with Sony.

RAW for FX9 is not free. Nothing is in Pro Sonyland.

Just now, sanveer said:

You do realise that it overheats when it is switched on, regardless sof whether you shoot photo or video. Which means, if you shoot enough photo, it will overheat then, as well. So it's not an issues endemic to shooting video alone. As long as the camera switches on, it is overheating. 

according to nfs test is not after 1500 pictures thy got almost 20min of 8k.....

On the photo side of the world only 1 guy managed to get the overheated sign and was using an old 90d battery and with really no details on the occurrence nobody else has reported an issue with photo mode with people went through 2 batteries and 3000+ photos at 20fps... at least so far....

18 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

according to nfs test is not after 1500 pictures thy got almost 20min of 8k.....

On the photo side of the world only 1 guy managed to get the overheated sign and was using an old 90d battery and with really no details on the occurrence nobody else has reported an issue with photo mode with people went through 2 batteries and 3000+ photos at 20fps... at least so far....

All I know, right now, is that Canon and spineless YouTube influencers are trying to tell us half truths and lots of lies.

I will let early users and non-paid reviewers give us the realm picture. From reasonably honest reviewers, it isnt looking very good for Canon. For a camera they have had in the offing since Adam and Eve, that isn't a good sign. And especially when they were all over, even before they actually released. 

Dependability should be the No.1 requirement for a camera, especially for this price point and the targeted demographics. 

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Correct.

If someone is uninformed, I would encourage them to read up on the field tests and all the information I put in the one place here. No offence intended.

https://www.eoshd.com/news/a-round-up-of-all-canon-eos-r5-r6-overheating-timings-and-field-tests/

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

This is to misunderstand the market the EOS R5 is aimed at.

Canon did not go to the trouble of high video specs for nothing. It cost millions in R&D "just to please this small video crowd". It is not a small crowd at all. The modern photography business is about multimedia and mixed media. Both video and stills are needed by clients in the internet age.

The EOS R5 is the mirrorless successor to the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV.

The kind of people who use a 5D Mark IV will use an EOS R5.

They need the reliability and the high performance video.

This is a massive cock up by Canon and they will suffer big style if they don't recall it.

1 minute ago, sanveer said:

All I know, right now, is that Canon and spineless YouTube influencers are trying to tell us half truths and lots of lies.

I will let early users and non-paid reviewers give us the realm picture. From reasonably honest reviewers, it isnt looking very good for Canon. For a camera they have had in the offing since Adam and Eve, that isn't a good sign. And especially when they were all over, even before they actually released. 

Dependability should be the No.1 requirement for a camera, especially for this price point and the targeted demographics. 

I’m the first disappointed but the choices probably were:

1 do an amazing photo camera with 4k 30 binned/line skipped

2 do an amazing photo camera with 4k 30 binned/line skipped + limited but super high quality modes

3 do an amazing photo camera with unlimited  super quality modes is a bigger body with a fan ala sh1

Now what is the no 1 competitor camera in the R5 segment for canon? A7R IV so any business man would pick 1 or 2 with 2 making it more attractive spec wise.....

even we 50 cry babies in this forum will not be happy and call the ultimate demise of canon.... go read some photo forums I never saw so much exitemnt for a canon camera in the last 10 years by people that they got the camera

4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

This is to misunderstand the market the EOS R5 is aimed at.

Canon did not go to the trouble of high video specs for nothing. It cost millions in R&D "just to please this small video crowd". It is not a small crowd at all. The modern photography business is about multimedia and mixed media. Video and stills in one shoot.

The EOS R5 is the mirrorless successor to the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV.

The kind of people who use a 5D Mark IV will use an EOS R5.

They need the reliability and the high performance video.

This is a massive cock up by Canon and they will suffer big style if they don't recall it.

Wanna bet that R5 will sell more than the 5d iii + 5d iv combined?

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Wanna bet that R5 will sell more than the 5d iii + 5d iv combined?

I'm not going to go back and forth with you over conjecture.

Read up on the facts and educate yourself then we can have a proper discussion about the overheating issues.

Otherwise carry on as you are and get a nice ban.

Just now, Andrew Reid said:

I'm not going to go back and forth with you over conjecture.

Read up on the facts and educate yourself then we can have a proper discussion about the overheating issues.

Otherwise carry on as you are and get a nice ban.

bye bye and by the way I eard that canon is contacting you as you suggested for point 2 of your article as advisor on the next camera and alto build a 7nm cpu fab for them and for intel view that they are late......

you have some serious problem with anybody that do not share your opinion and you are wondering why nobody in the camera industry wants to discuss with you....

please delete my account. thx