Will Canon recall the EOS R5? Small first shipments

Andrew Reid

7 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Of course Canon didn’t intentionally release a camera they will probably have to recall. Only in a tin foil hat world would anyone do that.

In cases like this, there is always the conspiracy theory and then there is the cock up theory.....  

And 9 times out of 10, its mostly the cock up. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The NFS tests are very interesting, especially Test #2 where 1500 photos were taken before switching the R5 to video mode & they still got over 17 minutes of 10-bit 8K recording.

That particular test seems to kinda contradict Gerald’s tweet about not having a single second of HQ video after shooting stills for an hour.  

Speaking of Gerald, he did a 3 hour live stream about R5/R6. I haven’t had time to watch it but just happened to skim through it and he addressed Dan Watson’s A7S3 vs R5 overheat results. He kinda cops out by saying their pre production Sony units may be different and then suggests to Dan to redo the test with the Sony camera -in the shade- as he admits direct sunlight may not dissipate heat correctly on the Sony.

Perhaps he should be the one to take the A7S3 out in the sunlight to corroborate or not Dans results.

5 minutes ago, Django said:

The NFS tests are very interesting, especially Test #2 where 1500 photos were taken before switching the R5 to video mode & they still got over 17 minutes of 10-bit 8K recording.

Regardless it sounds like some units have defective hardware. The overheating inconsistencies on the Sony are bad too.

Clearly the manufactures don’t have FF mirrorless 4K totally figured out yet (or they are unwilling to give it to us). 

Yeah, because you'd hype your cameras of a decade up and up and then only 'make' enough to fulfil 20-30% of preorders then make people wait a further four months before they can buy it again. Entirely logical and rational...

Listen to yourselves canboys, listen to yourselves.

It's funny, I haven't seen Canon fanboys over here, really : ) The owner of the site is brand agnostic and known for a very particular criticism of his own to also comprehend Canon, so where are they? : D

On the contrary, we cannot exactly say the same about their detractors over these same pages, isn't it? ; -)

3 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

They wanted bad press? Wouldn't a camera with no major issues and 8k be way better press? I can't see them doing this intentionally. 

Yes, I know it sounds crazy. But ... bad press has worked better than good press in the past, it's not something new. I know, I know ... It sounds crazy.
But if this problem is solved only with a firmware, it would be suspicious to me.

This seems the best photo camera ever made from canon

45mpix, 12/20fps, great ibis, low noise, af tracking seems great too with both RF and EF lenses, great photodr, cfexpress

from nfs test the overheating are on pair with what canon says. 

imo chance of a recall almost 0

Unfortunately as video workhorse is a bit too compromised.....  I wish it could do for every high end mode minute it would recover with a minute cool down.... 

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Django said:

Well the recall rumors are purely speculative so “in denial” is rather extreme. 

Excuse me? What's so extreme?

Matthew Allard thinks he's doing his journalistic duties asking a junior PR person in a team at a Canon subsidiary.

The very definition of denial and repeating the PR line.

If he bothered to dig deeper and even ask single retailer he would know there is something going on.

Latest word from PetaPixel for what it's worth...minutes ago...

https://petapixel.com/2020/07/31/canon-responds-there-is-no-delay-in-eos-r5-shipments/

No doubt the debate will still rage on. The statement doesn’t directly address when the second allocation of cameras will go out, and it doesn’t touch on the recall speculation directly, but the fact that the first shipment is going out as scheduled should quash any rumors that a recall is actively in the works.

Canon's actual response reads

Orders of the EOS R5 are scheduled to be delivered as initially stated at launch. The first set of cameras shipped from our warehouses this week. We eagerly await the content that will be produced by talented creatives using this camera to be shared with the world.

That doesn't really say much of anything.

Cooling a weather sealed body with a powerful processor, it’s almost an oxymoron.   Although processors have gotten more powerful, energy requirements and heat have gone up with it.  Until processors become more efficient and use less energy, this form factor will continue to not make any sense for power hungry codecs. 

27 minutes ago, Brett Munoz said:

Cooling a weather sealed body with a powerful processor, it’s almost an oxymoron.  

Would it be possible for them to sacrifice part of the weather-sealing in order to be able to let out some of the heat? E.g. a small "hatch" or hole behind the flip-out screen that can be opened if you want to dissipate heat?

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Excuse me? What's so extreme?

Matthew Allard thinks he's doing his journalistic duties asking a junior PR person in a team at a Canon subsidiary.

The very definition of denial and repeating the PR line.

If he bothered to dig deeper and even ask single retailer he would know there is something going on.

The last people I would ask is the company. You won't get any information from them.

The people on the ground know what's happening. 

1 hour ago, ajay said:

Canon's actual response reads

That doesn't really say much of anything.

The devil is in the detail. They want to have plausible deniability when the inevitable recall is made, which should happen soon.

Andrew is doing them a BIG favour here and it will be a cathartic moment where they can clean out house hopefully and restructure along the lines of Andrews article. 

Like he said, all is not lost. No one is buying cameras now. They can afford to recall and still put something decent out by next year.