Will Canon recall the EOS R5? Small first shipments

Andrew Reid

49 minutes ago, Mikelama said:

If the camera wasn’t designed initially to deal with heat (and sounds like heat wasn't even a primary consideration), a quick fix like adding a heat sink may not be feasible or do the trick even if feasible. The body and logic boards may need a redesign.  This thing is generating so much heat that merely switching to video after an hour of shooting pics can be too much.  I don’t think a puny piece of copper is going to be a some magical fix that makes this the perfect hybrid camera.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  

They'll probably buy an A7SIII and see if they can copy what they've done now it's been released 😉

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
2 hours ago, Leica50mm said:

Every camera reviewer  has been saying the last eight years is that canon has to change, they can't go on being so conservative with their specs.   And finally they do it and everyone turns on them . Y'all just got what you wanted right? 

Why does every comment of yours has a massive elephant in the room?

Nobody is criticising Canon for being conservative on the EOS R5 specs.

You have to deliver the specs AND reliability, so that customers don't get a defective product.

Not hard to understand is it?

There are 2 options, but unfortunately, I will go for the second one.
-First:
Canon did not realized the overheating issue was such a drawback and are working on some kind of patch. It's actually really not clear how they will be able to do that in only 2 months time (Testing + producing and shipping). Did they had option during development and already have a kind of way to fix it, but did not implement it at the first time? Weird.
IT means the fix is mechanical and not just a firmware.

-Second.
Canon did not stock a lot of camera, but just enough to get a the marketing team able to stat an earlier a availability date. This in order to get people pre-order in front of Sony pre-announcement. It's no secret all production are slower than usual and they are working on this now. 

Bottom line.
You can't ave one in your hand right now and for the 2 coming months, at least.

So overheating or not; This is not a camera anyone can buy!

Sad

Recall and Out of Stock notices are not the same.  Rumors are rumors.   Sounds like it's more of a image marketing issue that Canon knows they can't win with negative doom and gloom You Tubers. 

Has anyone tested or released a street production model?  

Canon is a big enough company to have 3 different part options for everything in the R5.  Going with top of the line composites is not always the case.   Canon engineers have this covered.  Look what happened with Nikon Z6 and sending the camera in for an upgrade to record Pro Res RAW externally?  

8 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Short of a redesign, how do they even fix this? What a disaster. 

Indeed, any fix will just be a better heatsink/firmware bandage that will just allow a couple of additional recording minutes. Unless it gets a complete redesign it will keep overheating.

1 hour ago, sev7en said:

It looks like the Titanic...

At least the iceberg and ice water would cool the R5/R6 down 🤣

Wonder how many faulty R5/R6 units we will have in a couple of years from all the excessive overheating.
Certainly never going to buy such a unit second hand. Would be an expensive brick.

6 hours ago, Yurolov said:

That overheats too but. Not as bad but still it there. 

Mine doesn’t, at least not yet. Definitely not after only 20 minutes. The only reports I’ve seen of overheating for the X-T4 are all the different websites quoting the one Northrup video, and who gives a shit what that a-hole has to say?

11 minutes ago, Brian Williams said:

Mine doesn’t, at least not yet. Definitely not after only 20 minutes. The only reports I’ve seen of overheating for the X-T4 are all the different websites quoting the one Northrup video, and who gives a shit what that a-hole has to say?

CameraConspiracies guy did seem to manage to recreate an overheat in one of the latest videos. Think he might have been using 4k60 and it was roughly after the quoted 20mins.

I used to use my GH5 to non-stop roll internal record on >1hr long live music gigs and it's a slight bummer knowing I can't do that with my XT4 now unless I get a Ninja V or something.

I can't remember if I saw yet what the overheating is like in only 1080 or lower fps 4k.

Fuji just need to come out with that xh2 and just destroy everyone with nice ergonomics and better heat management in a larger body with pro features.

No DCI and overheating still makes most of these cameras unfit for professional use, except for the panasonics, which appear to cater for the pro market more. Hope the xh2 comes out soon.

9 hours ago, herein2020 said:

Even if neither one overheated, the A7SIII still puts both the R5 and R6 to shame with features like dual card slot recording, dual media compatibility (genius), no recording limit (it's not 1990), better editing codec options, and what suspiciously looks like dual gain ISO.

Could also say Canon puts Sony to shame with an IBIS so much better it looks like 5y technology difference, with much better body and ergonomics, no crop in 4K120, an more importantly actual stills capability (VS 12mpx, it’s not 1990).

Everything is relative. We all have different needs. Neither products are bad in this case. Except the overheating if indeed the R5 can’t record a video after 30 stills (I still have a hard time believing that) and that Canon doesn’t do anything about it. 

7 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

I bought an X-T4 four weeks ago, and reading articles like this really make me happy with my choice! (A strange feeling when you are GAS-afflicted!)

Ha! Same. I keep getting worried that I'll want the r6, but it seems to have some issues.

16 minutes ago, Brian Williams said:

Yeah, not trusting Tohen further than I can throw him. Clownshoes.

5 minutes ago, dgvro said:

CameraConspiracies guy did seem to manage to recreate an overheat in one of the latest videos. Think he might have been using 4k60 and it was roughly after the quoted 20mins.

I used to use my GH5 to non-stop roll internal record on >1hr long live music gigs and it's a slight bummer knowing I can't do that with my XT4 now unless I get a Ninja V or something.

I can't remember if I saw yet what the overheating is like in only 1080 or lower fps 4k.

X-T4 + Ninja is a nice option. B&H is bundling them with an accessory pack at a good price, so that's the route I went. In my early tests, it can record to the Ninja in 4k 24p until the battery dies, about 2.5 hours, indoors. Outdoors in pretty warm weather, I was able to record 4K to the Ninja and 1080 to the camera for more than an hour, starting and stopping the takes to reposition a couple of times but not turning the camera off. This weekend I may torture test 4K internal while I'm editing a project.