Will Canon recall the EOS R5? Small first shipments

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

I'd love to know your experience of this release so far... have you received your pre-order? Is the camera in stock anywhere to buy, online, or on the high-street?

Here's what news I found today in Berlin:

https://www.eoshd.com/news/will-canon-recall-the-eos-r5-i-asked-retailers-today-and-the-picture-is-grim/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

https://www.canonrumors.com/whats-next-for-the-canon-eos-r5-and-canon-eos-r6/

your report and this article. All seems to point to a recall / hardware fix.

They completely screwed the launch, but that’s good news. Because that means the camera which was going to be the perfect hybrid and that ended up being wasted due to overheating will indeed maybe become perfect if they fix it. 

If this is true and Canon finds a way to fix or minimise the problem, then good news for us definitely.  Not good news for Canon as it will add to their costs and will deliver a whacking big blow to their status in the camera industry. 

Plus will give plenty of fuel to the Sony users in their feud with Canon users. 🤣🤣

What’s funny is this camera is barely even out, And it is already redeemed DOA.

Anyone here old enough to remember A7S2 launch? There was like one batch and then 4-6 months back order. Back then the tsunami was claimed to have disrupted Sony’s sensor facilities. 

I have no idea what the stock situation is with R5 or if a recall is planned but we are barely through a global pandemic and COVID19 did cause Canon Japan factories to shut down. 

Just saying..

I think this is really good news and agree with others that if Canon really does fix the overheating my faith in them would be restored. Who knows, they may even make a few firmware updates and add some new features during the overhaul in response to the A7SIII. If I could get 4K120 in the R6, backup recording, and no overheating by December I'll be a happy Canon user again.

In all fairness I do wonder if maybe the pandemic disrupted their normal product review process and feedback chain, but I am in no way letting them off the hook that easy. Even if neither one overheated, the A7SIII still puts both the R5 and R6 to shame with features like dual card slot recording, dual media compatibility (genius), no recording limit (it's not 1990), better editing codec options, and what suspiciously looks like dual gain ISO.

As it stands now IMO the best thing Canon can do is fix this unmitigated disaster as soon as possible and hope people forget about it by releasing something more useable and reliable.

37 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

C'mon, let's accept it, Canon is still the king/queen, no matter what, just take a look on the tourists cameras... ; -)

Clearly they should stick to entry level DSLRs and ride their good name 🙃

This is another case of cripple hammer gone to far to protect a cinema line that is in another completely different market. When will they learn?

If the camera wasn’t designed initially to deal with heat (and sounds like heat wasn't even a primary consideration), a quick fix like adding a heat sink may not be feasible or do the trick even if feasible. The body and logic boards may need a redesign.  This thing is generating so much heat that merely switching to video after an hour of shooting pics can be too much.  I don’t think a puny piece of copper is going to be a some magical fix that makes this the perfect hybrid camera.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  

1 hour ago, Leica50mm said:

Every camera reviewer  has been saying the last eight years is that canon has to change, they can't go on being so conservative with their specs.   And finally they do it and everyone turns on them . Y'all just got what you wanted right? 

Not really.   I never asked for 8K... or even 120fps 4K.. maybe some did, I didn't.  In fact, what I was hoping for was a Canon version of the S1H camera with their own colour science and AF.  

Still waiting.... 

1 hour ago, Leica50mm said:

Every camera reviewer  has been saying the last eight years is that canon has to change, they can't go on being so conservative with their specs.   And finally they do it and everyone turns on them . Y'all just got what you wanted right? 

It feels like you've made this post a couple dozen different times and it's dumb every time.