Panasonic S1H ProRes RAW 6K 12bit - download firmware

Andrew Reid

Can someone post a direct comparison (even under a second clip is fine) of out of camera HEVC 6K vs out of camera UHD vs ProRes raw?

There are cameras (Alexa) where raw is not substantially better and cameras (5D Mk III) where it makes a world of difference. 

Curious what is the case with the S1H, but not curious enough to rent one again to find out for myself. Thanks to anyone who does this!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Phillip Bloom said he had a heat lamp on the A7SIII at like 120F And it overheated in 100p mode and 60p modes...after around 30 mins. However, unlike the R5/6, after turning the camera off and then back on after 2 mins, he got another 20+ mins out of it.

So the R5/6 recovering times are absolutely broken.

He said based on his results and using it for 24 hours including filming with it for 21 hours on the beach that it was a professional tool.

It will sell very, very well.

Levi Allen, a filmmaker primarily using GH5 since its release, who is not a gear snob and has tried many cameras but always goes back to his GH5, has said he is moving on to the A7SIII for its image quality. Sooo, I suspect many people will be buying it and E-mount glass.

I wonder if the S1H will get some firmware updates and new capabilities beyond ProRes External to keep it fresh?

1 minute ago, Video Hummus said:

Phillip Bloom said he had a heat lamp on the A7SIII at like 120F And it overheated in 100p mode and 60p modes...after around 30 mins. However, unlike the R5/6, after turning the camera off and then back on after 2 mins, he got another 20+ mins out of it.

He said based on his results and using it for 24 hours including filming with it for 21 hours on the beach that it was a professional tool.

It will sell very, very well.

Levi Allen, a filmmaker primarily using GH5 since its release, who is not a gear snob and has tried many cameras but always goes back to his GH5, has said he is moving on to the A7SIII for its image quality. Sooo, I suspect many people will be buying it and E-mount glass.

The R5/6 recovering times are absolutely broken.

Yeah this really seems to be the case. Hopefully its a weird firmware issue with Canon and not completely hardware but I fear its more the hardware. 

Personally I am very happy with my Pana S1 🤩

I have to say its hard to beat Fuji's Eterna and Classic Chrome. But the Panasonic just feels like a pro tool. Fuji's feel like a toy and Sony kind of does too. Maybe I'll be a convert when the XH2 comes out. 

On 8/1/2020 at 2:50 PM, HockeyFan12 said:

Can someone post a direct comparison (even under a second clip is fine) of out of camera HEVC 6K vs out of camera UHD vs ProRes raw?

There are cameras (Alexa) where raw is not substantially better and cameras (5D Mk III) where it makes a world of difference. 

Curious what is the case with the S1H, but not curious enough to rent one again to find out for myself. Thanks to anyone who does this!

I'll grab some footage today, but it's super cloudy over by me, so I don't know how much of a dynamic range test it will be.

49 minutes ago, Lux Shots said:

I'll grab some footage today, but it's super cloudy over by me, so I don't know how much of a dynamic range test it will be.

Thanks, that would be really interesting. I doubt the dynamic range will be that different anyway–but curious to see how they compare in terms of sharpness, color, texture.

Does anyone know how the S1H, S1, and fp downsample 6k to 4k in the first place? 

• 1 month later...