Are people going back? ....to S16 ....to MF ....to limitations ....to older cameras?

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, billdoubleu said:

The second problem is only now starting to better and better with dual native ISO, large sensors, better noise reduction, or all three together.

They truly are!

I view cameras like automobiles. They are tools, toys, collectors items, and pieces of art. A Ferrari isn't designed for my particular needs, but I'd sure love to see one parked in my garage!

Plus lens choices for low light are getting better all the time too.  There's never been a better time to be in the market for a large aperture prime - they get faster, and better at those larger apertures, all the time. 

I remember someone talking about there being three different kinds of value: value you get from the utility of something, value you get from owning something (bragging rights, etc), or the other one I can never remember which is when you hate opera but take your wife because she likes it and making her happy is something you value.

On 8/12/2020 at 6:54 PM, billdoubleu said:

I think you meant vice versa in your last sentence, but I agree with this one hundred percent. In the second situation, which I find myself in more often than not, the biggest two problems I run into are; either too much light or not enough light. I imagine these have been two major issues for filmmakers since the beginning.

Obviously, no company seems to want to handle the first problem from the factory in a mirrorless hybrid form factor. So the onus is on us. And while it's frankly a pain-in-the-ass most times, it's a simple enough fix.

The second problem is only now starting to better and better with dual native ISO, large sensors, better noise reduction, or all three together.

They truly are!

I view cameras like automobiles. They are tools, toys, collectors items, and pieces of art. A Ferrari isn't designed for my particular needs, but I'd sure love to see one parked in my garage!

Thats exactly the reason there's a display self in my editing office with numerous vintage cameras on it....

• Super Members
19 hours ago, kye said:

Hmmm, I wonder if my wife hates space travel.

Mine does.

Those savings pay for the camera bodies.

Its the guys who's wives are into the Space Opera genre of Sci-Fi that you have to spare a thought for as they're taking a double hit.

Its all fixed lens 2mp 640x480 cameras for them.

On 8/12/2020 at 2:50 PM, billdoubleu said:

Haha! I can't tell if my post was the result of too many beers or just the right amount of beers. I can only imagine how difficult it is to engineer these cameras in a way to make them desirable enough to a wide enough range of buyers.

Apropos of the BMPCC discussion; I've been watching the prices on eBay/ Craigslist since the 4k came out. I was waiting for them to dip into the $250 range so I could justify to myself the purchase. They came close for a short time early on, but seemed to climb steadily back into the $400-500 range and stay there until recently. Now these cameras are going for much more on eBay and those prices seem to be keeping Craigslist prices up as well. I just can't justify spending that much money on a camera that has plenty of issues as is, has been referred to by more than a few people I've spoken to as a "disposable camera", and most people originally purchased for $500 six years ago.

Am one of those people who purchased a BMPCC years ago brand new for $500! In fact just last week Facebook Memories recommended to me a photo of the BMPCC with my lenses on it as "on this day 7 years ago". (amazed how time flew by!)

eBay pricing seems a bit mad to me at the moment. 
For instance seems mad to me to pay more for a GH2 than a G6!

Plus I think COVID19 has pushed up the prices on some things (especially "famous" options like the GH2 or BMPCC which people might settle their minds upon if they've only done a moderate amount of research into the topic).

Lots of people stuck at home so thinking they'll try out a new hobby such as photography or take up youtubing.

Am waiting for the looming economic collapse when people are FORCED to sell off their nice cameras to make rent.... evil? Yeah, but practical. Hold off on buying anything just yet!

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Am one of those people who purchased a BMPCC years ago brand new for $500! In fact just last week Facebook Memories recommended to me a photo of the BMPCC with my lenses on it as "on this day 7 years ago". (amazed how time flew by!)

I don't know about you, but I'm increasingly finding that feature to rather miss the mark.

Not only has math stopped being my friend ("hi great to see you, wow, when was the last time I was in town, it was..."  "STOP! don't do it!" "... 22 years ago at that bar!") but Facebook now intermittently:

• Shows me pictures of me with my ex
  • Tells me that it's my mums birthday, reminding me that she's dead
  • or reminding me of friendships lost, etc etc...

There's a quote that I found particular amusing..  in about 60 years there will be 800 million dead people on FB.

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Am waiting for the looming economic collapse when people are FORCED to sell off their nice cameras to make rent.... evil? Yeah, but practical. Hold off on buying anything just yet!

Agreed.  We're nowhere near the end of this thing.  

We'll know when it actually starts to get desperate when the bottom falls out of the real-estate market.  I don't know about you in NZ, but here in AU the market doesn't tend to drop, it just stagnates.  Partly because people just refuse to sell and take the loss, as well as constant bullish marketing by real estate folks, but it goes down when people are forced to sell as they can't cut elsewhere in their living expenses to make up the difference.

24 minutes ago, kye said:

Not only has math stopped being my friend ("hi great to see you, wow, when was the last time I was in town, it was..."  "STOP! don't do it!" "... 22 years ago at that bar!") but Facebook now intermittently:

• Shows me pictures of me with my ex
  • Tells me that it's my mums birthday, reminding me that she's dead
  • or reminding me of friendships lost, etc etc...

There's a quote that I found particular amusing..  in about 60 years there will be 800 million dead people on FB.

There is a setting in Facebook Memories that you can make it never bring up a past post with certain people in it, so they're excluded. Exactly so that ex GFs / dead relatives / etc don't come up again. 

Also, I strongly doubt Facebook will be around in 60yrs!

Remember Friendster? Bebo? Myspace? Geocities?

9 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Also, I strongly doubt Facebook will be around in 60yrs!

Facebook in 60 years might look like this image.... 😅

But yeah, I think despite the new releases from Canon and Sony, Covid has given the BMPCC, GH2 Canon M etc. a substancial push on the second hand market.

MatrixNet.gif