Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

9 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

I think the 4KHQ mode should be unlimited. It’s pretty blatantly obvious it is because magically plugging in a HDMI cable makes it possible.

Plugging in a HDMI cable doesn't really make much of a difference though. Camera still overheats, and then at that point if you were to insert a CFexpress card  you would still be met with the time limitations in HQ modes.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
52 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

There is the possibility they will piss off their cinema customers.

If that's the case, they should have left 4KHQ and 8K out of the camera. Now they piss off the cinema customers for including it and the pro's that want to use it but get the overheating. They should have put this limited 8k in a consumer type 90D camera.

If they don't fix the recording limitations in a firmware update soon, they will be left so far behind other brands that no one will seriously consider Canon in the future as  people would have switched systems by the time they get it right and people will still feel apprehensive about the brand given what Canon has done to gimp the camera based on the tear downs and the testing that has been done.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Plugging in a HDMI cable doesn't really make much of a difference though. Camera still overheats, and then at that point if you were to insert a CFexpress card  you would still be met with the time limitations in HQ modes.

What about plugging HDMI cable in at the first moment the camera starts, using it via HDMI for 1 hour for 4K HQ, then put a card in.

I'll add it to the list of things to try. Have the Ninja V sat here doing nothing.

10 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

What about plugging HDMI cable in at the first moment the camera starts, using it via HDMI for 1 hour for 4K HQ, then put a card in.

I'll add it to the list of things to try. Have the Ninja V sat here doing nothing.

If you disable internal screen and evf and use an external hdmi screen does the internal recording time improve?

32 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I'll try as well.

21 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

If you disable internal screen and evf and use an external hdmi screen does the internal recording time improve?

Yes, turning the screen and evf off increases recording time. got an hour straight today without overheat warning and I stopped it at 1hr could have gotten more I think, but before with screen on could only get 42 minutes before it shut down.

18 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Yes, turning the screen and evf off increases recording time. got an hour straight today without overheat warning and I stopped it at 1hr could have gotten more I think, but before with screen on could only get 42 minutes before it shut down.

It seems not the card or battery but driving the screen to affect more the heat or the timer....

Would be nice to see 8k and 4k 120 if with external screen will get 30min and also no build up of heat while not recording like menu, framing, etc..... it would be already a better proposition

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

So today it is currently 102 degrees here. I took the R5 and Ninja outside to record 4K HQ. Camera was out there for about 45 minutes. The backside of the camera was very hot, I'm sweating my ass off as it is hot ASF!!!! but camera did not show the overheat warning. I then stepped inside with the camera still rolling. Grabbed my CFexpress card, when I opened the card door the camera temporarily shut down, when I inserted the card and closed the door the camera went right back into action recording on the ninja. The time shown on the counter said the 20 minutes. This is while the camera is very hot to touch. It's been about 10 minutes since I shut down and the camera is still very hot to the touch. Still says 20 minutes of record time as I type this.

IMG_6706.JPG

Well, another one concerning the R6...He explains that the camera warns for overheating without being hot (while the R5 got really hot). Worst, he did not figured out how to cool it down, as the camera is not hot, so no indication of where he needed to... cool it, hm (this is what I understood, but maybe I got wrong, my English understanding being far from perfect). Hm, Andrew's assertions come to mind, the R6 being far from the R5 in terms of embarked technology prone to overheating. So, basically, you have to shoot in 1080, and cross your fingers for a firmware update.
Too bad, this camera is really appealing to me and tick a lot of boxes on paper. But it is really hard to justify for the asking 2600€ (!!!) body only price.

• Administrators

R6 is only 20 megapixel, no excuses really.

What is it doing differently to a 20 megapixel GH5 in 10bit 4K? to create so much extra "heat"? And that camera is 3 years older. Full frame sensor doesn't create a lot of extra heat.

What's it doing differently to an S1?!

Another example of the new-for-2020 style cripple hammer.

• 2 weeks later...

I trust Sareesh, he's quite knowledgable and at least he's a DP who works with the gear he shows. It is interesting to see how the camera will work now with this new update. The timer seems to still be present but it seems that it doesn't "bother" so much when recording, obviously it would be better not to have it present.