Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, androidlad said:

Off topic but relevant here, R5 rolling shutter official test results have been published:

https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Kurztest/Die-Rolling-Shutter-Werte-der-Canon-EOS-R5.html

8K30/4K HQ: 16ms (indicating a 8K 60fps readout)

4K normal 24-60fps: 10ms

4K 120fps: 8ms

Absolutely amazing that a 45mp sensor going from 8k > 4k also has class leading rolling shutter,  IBIS and AF. This is probably the greatest love/hate camera ever produced.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

This is making Canon money?!

That's news to me.

On their C series line they don't abandon as a mistress a few people would care about.

10 minutes ago, Leica50mm said:

Fix is on the way, but don't expect unlimited 8k recording . 

How can we be so sure of it?

When?

Still in 2020? Early 2021 much more like?

Yesterday Amazon dropped off the last piece I needed for my Ninja V to try my own R5 / Ninja V test today.

Yesterday - First attempt: Camera setup with the overheat control setting on, screen on, 4K HQ 30.

No card in camera. Canon LP-E6NH battery in camera

Camera was sitting in direct sun light at 97°F

Continuous recording started and camera overheat warning came on at around 37 minutes or so, it shutdown at around 42 minutes, which aligns exactly with what John Gress stated in his video that Trek of Joy posted here earlier.

When camera shut off, I immediately turned it back on and the camera still showed the 8K, 4K 120, and HQ options available. Makes me think it’s more of the firmware parameters set by Canon here. Camera was hot to the touch.

time between test: 45 minutes to an hour

Yesterday - Second attempt: Kept the settings at 4K HQ 30, screen on, but turned off the overheat control setting.

No card in camera. Canon LP-E6NH battery in camera.

Camera was sitting in shaded garage at 97°F

Camera overheat warning appeared at 37 minutes, shutdown at 42 minutes. Camera was warm to the touch.

Today - Third attempt: No prior operation before test... Camera setup 4K HQ 24p, overheat control setting off, screen on.

Camera indoors in my office, with A/C on set at 72°F

Camera overheat warning came on same time at and lasted to about 42 minutes. Camera was warm to the touch.

The times I am seeing align with Geralds test, except the overheat control setting didn't seem to change much on or off, and I had no cards in camera for all recordings. 

Haven't tried with camera screen off, but I don't believe the Cfexpress cards are a notable factor in overheating, as believed by the ( nolifedigital ) guy.

3 hours ago, androidlad said:

Off topic but relevant here, R5 rolling shutter official test results have been published:

https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Kurztest/Die-Rolling-Shutter-Werte-der-Canon-EOS-R5.html

8K30/4K HQ: 16ms (indicating a 8K 60fps readout)

4K normal 24-60fps: 10ms

4K 120fps: 8ms

in comparison

XT3 4k 60fps ------ 16.0 ms (15.6-16.0-16.3)
C200 (4k=1080p) --- 16.1 ms (4k: 15.5-16.2-16.9, 1080p: 15.5-16.0-16.6)
BM p4k 4k --------- 16.2 ms (official)
a7III 4k 1.2x 30p - 16.7 ms (dpreview)

Definitely pretty impressive for a 45MP sensor!

4 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Yesterday Amazon dropped off the last piece I needed for my Ninja V to try my own R5 / Ninja V test today.

Yesterday - First attempt: Camera setup with the overheat control setting on, screen on, 4K HQ 30.

No card in camera. Canon LP-E6NH battery in camera

Camera was sitting in direct sun light at 97°F

Continuous recording started and camera overheat warning came on at around 37 minutes or so, it shutdown at around 42 minutes, which aligns exactly with what John Gress stated in his video that Trek of Joy posted here earlier.

When camera shut off, I immediately turned it back on and the camera still showed the 8K, 4K 120, and HQ options available. Makes me think it’s more of the firmware parameters set by Canon here. Camera was hot to the touch.

time between test: 45 minutes to an hour

Yesterday - Second attempt: Kept the settings at 4K HQ 30, screen on, but turned off the overheat control setting.

Camera was sitting in shaded garage at 97°F

Camera overheat warning appeared at 37 minutes, shutdown at 42 minutes. Camera was warm to the touch.

Today - Third attempt: No prior operation before test... Camera setup 4K HQ 24p, overheat control setting off, screen on.

Camera indoors in my office, with A/C on set at 72°F

Camera overheat warning came on same time at and lasted to about 42 minutes. Camera was warm to the touch.

The times I am seeing align with Geralds test, except I overheat control didn't seem to change much, and I had no cards in camera for all recordings. 

Haven't tried with camera screen off, but I don't believe the Cfexpress cards are a notable factor in overheating, as believed by the ( nolifedigital ) guy.

More evidence that makes me think the outside temperature has no baring at all on the overheating.

• Administrators

Try the following test...

Have the camera turned on for 1 hour and record just 10 seconds of 4K HQ. The rest of the time have it just idle in the menus, in the shade, indoors is ok.

Does the overheat warning still kick in after 37 mins?

22 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Try the following test...

Have the camera turned on for 1 hour and record just 10 seconds of 4K HQ. The rest of the time have it just idle in the menus, in the shade, indoors is ok.

Does the overheat warning still kick in after 37 mins?

On it.

May have been posted here but here @1:01:30 Mehdia Mehtal tells ProAV that external recording bypasses the heat limitations but emphasizes that the camera must be powered from the mains.

Yeah there is growing evidence this overheating scheme is entirely bullshit.

Why not just be honest with people? Have clear limits to the recording modes.

The only possible explanation is that the temperature being reported in EXIF are of PCB temperatures and not what the sensor is at. But then again, we have people with thermal cameras saying the sensor never gets above 60C....

• Administrators

If Canon had been honest it would go something like this:

"You may record 30 mins of 4K HQ or 8K once per day because we want you to keep buying Cinema EOS cameras at $15,000!"

Honesty is sometimes just as hard to swallow as the lies and deceit.

I may never buy another Canon product again after this.

Or they could have said something like this:

”The R5 embodies everything photographers loved in the Canon 5D series. It is a sign of our commitment to continue this excellence into our mirrorless RF camera line. Although video was not a focus of the R5, we still put in some exciting video features for light video workflows. Stay tuned for more exciting products in our EOS and Cinema EOS family of products.”

I realize it may have sold less R5’s to video originated people that were excited for it. But what is worst? Giving them an utter turd that just pisses them off and damages their brand prestige. Very, very stupid.

But maybe I’m too idealistic. People these days have short attention spans and myopic views (I’m not faultless).

I’m not sure what they are going to do. If they someone increase the performance drastically they indirectly admitted it was all a scam and they were deceptive about it. If they do nothing they risk alienating and losing customers who will just want to get their 4K120p camera and will buy Sony. If they say they tweaked it and got a bit more performance...it won’t be enough.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Or they could have said something like this:

”The R5 embodies everything photographers loved in the Canon 5D series. It is a sign of our commitment to continue this excellence into our mirrorless RF camera line. Although video was not a focus of the R5, we still put in some exciting video features for light video workflows. Stay tuned for more exciting products in our EOS and Cinema EOS family of products.”

I realize it may have sold less R5’s to video originated people that were excited for it. But what is worst? Giving them an utter turd that just pisses them off and damages their brand prestige. Very, very stupid.

But maybe I’m too idealistic. People these days have short attention spans and myopic views (I’m not faultless).

I’m not sure what they are going to do. If they someone increase the performance drastically they indirectly admitted it was all a scam and they were deceptive about it. If they do nothing they risk alienating and losing customers who will just want to get their 4K120p camera and will buy Sony. If they say they tweaked it and got a bit more performance...it won’t be enough.

I think they'd make more money just putting good stuff out, to be honest. No games.

If the EOS R5 is capable of longer record times in 4K HQ and 8K, just give them us.

We paid for it!

We get to decide how we use it.

Especially as it was marketed for pro video use.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

I think they'd make more money just putting good stuff out, to be honest. No games.

If the EOS R5 is capable of longer record times in 4K HQ and 8K, just give them us.

We paid for it!

We get to decide how we use it.

Especially as it was marketed for pro video use.

There is the possibility they will piss off their cinema customers. But I would think their cinema customers would be first in line to buy this camera if it did 4KHQ with a much shorter “recovery” time, or no recover time at all.

I think the 4KHQ mode should be unlimited. It’s pretty blatantly obvious it is because magically plugging in a HDMI cable makes it possible.