Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I think as Gerald showed it is just dropping to a pixel binned non-HQ output in HDMI mode.

That isn't heat limited.

Must have missed that. A few other guys said it was a noticeable difference between HQ mode over non HQ modes through HDMI, happy with the result.

I believe Gerald had the CFexpress card in camera when he tested the external recording. He confirmed this on twitter after he saw the nolife guys video. That could be the difference.

With the Cfexpress cards being active at all times in camera, I would think that this has something to do with the differences seen in results from Geralds test to others. In his latest R5 and R6 video he talks about the cameras inability to record simultaneously to card and externally, so it seems he never tried recording externally without card in camera. 

19 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I think as Gerald showed it is just dropping to a pixel binned non-HQ output in HDMI mode.

That isn't heat limited.

I'm confused 🙂 Which video - I just looked and couldn't find him talking abbot that. Then the video after your reply, says it's indeed HQ out to Ninja (or no-HQ if you choose). So the only limitation seems to be it's HQ only up to 30fps?

But yeah, my point is if it can do this externally, then a firmware should fix it internally too. Unless the fact that there are no cards is cooling the camera so much, something that's hard to believe, no?

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Must have missed that. A few other guys said it was a noticeable difference between HQ mode over non HQ modes through HDMI, happy with the result.

I believe Gerald had the CFexpress card in camera when he tested the external recording. He confirmed this on twitter after he saw the nolife guys video. That could be the difference.

With the Cfexpress cards being active at all times in camera, I would think that this has something to do with the differences seen in results from Geralds test to others. In his latest R5 and R6 video he talks about the cameras inability to record simultaneously to card and externally, so it seems he never tried recording externally without card in camera.

CFexpress doesn't seem to make a difference. Yes they get hot, yes they can even throttle read/write speeds... but my camera crapped out on me with an SD card inserted only, in Wifi menu. So go figure!

Maybe Canon forgot to stop the Cripple Hammer Clock in the menus? 🙂

5 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

CFexpress doesn't seem to make a difference. Yes they get hot, yes they can even throttle read/write speeds... but my camera crapped out on me with an SD card inserted only, in Wifi menu. So go figure!

Maybe Canon forgot to stop the Cripple Hammer Clock in the menus? 🙂

My apologies if I'm not speaking clearly... I'm only speaking to recording externally without cards in camera.

• Administrators

I see, so it disabled 4K HQ when you pull the card? And it never outputs anything better than pixel binned 4K via HDMI?

Need to do some testing here.

Looking at all these YouTube thumbnails looks like I need to practice my UNHAPPY FROWNY FACE for the next article.

I see, so it disabled 4K HQ when you pull the card? And it never outputs anything better than pixel binned 4K via HDMI?

Need to do some testing here.

No when you pull the card and record externally it seems to allow HQ recording for sure, but it also allows longer record times in HQ modes without overheating.

I'd be really interested in hearing the outcome of your test on this.

Looking at all these YouTube thumbnails looks like I need to practice my UNHAPPY FROWNY FACE for the next article.

Hilarious!

11 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

No when you pull the card and record externally it seems to allow HQ recording for sure, but it also allows longer record times in HQ modes without overheating.

Yes, this is the key point (at least up to 30fps, not sure if you can record HQ external 60/120fps unlimited. So the only question I have is, as I've said above - is this intentional crippling by Canon for internal recording, or is the heat buildup happening just from the cards being in there and/or written to? If not, then a firmware should in theory fix this limit. 

10 minutes ago, ghostwind said:

Yes, this is the key point (at least up to 30fps, not sure if you can record HQ external 60/120fps unlimited. So the only question I have is, as I've said above - is this intentional crippling by Canon for internal recording, or is the heat buildup happening just from the cards being in there and/or written to? If not, then a firmware should in theory fix this limit. 

There is only HQ up to 30, 60 is lineskipped/binned, 120 is internal only the same for 8k at the moment.

From the test that I saw external "unlimited" without card is HQ but another test would not be bad..

The results people are getting are all over the map. Another cards in/out, screen on/off test, here's the summary:

1.Internal Recording to the SD Card, Overheated at 28:58

2. Internal Recording to the CFexpress, Overheated at 27:33, Then I switched over to external recording with my Atomos Shogun, again, capturing 24P 422LT 4k.

3. External Recording, SD Card, Screen on, Overheated 15:02

4. External Recording, No Cards, Screen off, Bateries died 2h49

5. External Recording, SD Card Inside, Screen off, Overheated at 1h53

6. External Recording, CFEXPRESS Card Inside, Screen off, Overheated After 2 Hours

7. External Recording, No Cards, Screen on, Overheated 41:56

46 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

The results people are getting are all over the map. Another cards in/out, screen on/off test, here's the summary:

1.Internal Recording to the SD Card, Overheated at 28:58

2. Internal Recording to the CFexpress, Overheated at 27:33, Then I switched over to external recording with my Atomos Shogun, again, capturing 24P 422LT 4k.

3. External Recording, SD Card, Screen on, Overheated 15:02

4. External Recording, No Cards, Screen off, Bateries died 2h49

5. External Recording, SD Card Inside, Screen off, Overheated at 1h53

6. External Recording, CFEXPRESS Card Inside, Screen off, Overheated After 2 Hours

7. External Recording, No Cards, Screen on, Overheated 41:56

Seems the screen on has more impact than the card.....

@Andrew Reid would be a test to do internal recording but screen off using an external monitor.....

• Administrators

Until there is a hack, or an official fix, it's game over really.

This is a 4K pixel binning camera with nice ergonomics and good 10 bit codec.

Think of it as the A7R IV but better codec and colour.

A lot to like about that, but at the moment I can't really bring myself to talk about it, because the ethics of the overheating debacle are just so downright offensive it makes me never want to buy another Canon product ever again, let alone give one a good review while overlooking the highest quality 8K/4K modes.

If Canon apologise and promise a fix, then I will happily use the EOS R5 in pixel binned mode until the better modes are working properly.

But if they don't recall it or apologise, there will be fucking hell to pay from their customers and quite rightly so!

5 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Seems the screen on has more impact than the card.....

@Andrew Reid would be a test to do internal recording but screen off using an external monitor.....

It isn't the screen or EVF creating the problematic heat, it's the processing required to show the image on it... or so Canon has us believing... I think it's all very fishy and the more I dive into it, the weirder it gets.