Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Nezza said:

Certain people want to shut down any rightful criticism of Canon. Why? Because of course they are not so closet canboys.

The ‘argument’ that Canons very clear failings aren’t as bad as something worse isn’t an argument.

This is a camera forum, to discuss cameras. If you want to discuss geo politics there’s other forums for that.

This was arguably Canons biggest launch for a decade and they failed. Spectacularly. It’s not surprising people wish to discuss or rightly criticise them for their failing.

Debate stoppers reveal one thing, their blatant canboyism. 

Dude everybody and their momma knows the r5 overheats at this point, and nobody likes that. But lets just only post news, questions, videos, workaround or fixes for the r5 in this topic. There is no point in repeated hate or canon bashing, its just spam.

Its a huge shame that  other camera manufacturers don't follow Blackmagics example of running video via USB to a SSD drive.  This would be a better solution to the R5 than an external recorder.  You could eliminate the card and still record for longer periods on something much lighter and not battery powered than an external recorder. 

If the R5 has this function and allowed longer recording times, including even 8K RAW and 120fps 4K to it, I would buy the camera.  

As it stands, internal is too unreliable and external risky due to micro HDMI and too bulky for what I would buy the camera for.

2 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

Its a huge shame that  other camera manufacturers don't follow Blackmagics example of running video via USB to a SSD drive.  This would be a better solution to the R5 than an external recorder.  You could eliminate the card and still record for longer periods on something much lighter and not battery powered than an external recorder. 

If the R5 has this function and allowed longer recording times, including even 8K RAW and 120fps 4K to it, I would buy the camera.  

As it stands, internal is too unreliable and external risky due to micro HDMI and too bulky for what I would buy the camera for.

Now that cameras are starting to use CFExpress 2 there is no excuses anymore. Those cards use NVM.e protocol over PCI Express bus to deliver data to the card. The same way a computer would deliver data to a NVM.e SSD card in a laptop, workstation, or NAS.

The implementation would be trivial.

Would love to see a company offer a battery grip with an extra battery and a slot to slide in a NVM.e SSD to record to. Maybe even make it a “media mod” battery grip and offer external RAW recording like Sony does for the FX9 but in a mirrorless camera. The battery grip could have the dedicated hardware to encode the signal. You could even add BRAW after the fact if the battery grip were to include special encoding hardware BM uses to skirt the compressed RAW stuff. So many possibilities, so many un inspiring camera brands.

5 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

That micro HDMI port is the weak link.  The S1H at least has a proper HDMI port.  That said, the cameras you quote are external recording to get RAW, with long recordings of HQ 4K doing fine on internal.  With the R5, its the other way round, which feels a bit backwards.  

Weird to use micro HDMI -

My point was using external Atomos device.   Some don't like using an external monitor to record.  I think it's a valid option across so many cameras today.  From the Komodo, Zcam and now with the A7SIII. 

It also seems to be used because cameras can't handle the workload without over heating.   We were all told it was a RED patient issue but it seems like it's an over heating issue.  No one could figure out why Atomos was being pushed on us.  Now it makes more sense.

• Administrators
5 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Dude everybody and their momma knows the r5 overheats at this point, and nobody likes that. But lets just only post news, questions, videos, workaround or fixes for the r5 in this topic. There is no point in repeated hate or canon bashing, its just spam.

Are you a moderator? No.

49 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Are you a moderator? No.

No im not, but whats the point of 39 pages of "this is unacceptable, canon cripple hammer hits again, only canon fanboys will buy this camera, wow look that guy uses a r5 on a wedding what an amateur,  no pro would do that....." over and over again what is this? Middleschool?

@zerocool22 I get where you are coming from but at the same time this place is not some scripted production where there is an announcement, everybody gets to make one comment and then it’s topic closed.

It’s a forum where people talk. Talk a load of shit half the time, good and bad, but that’s the nature of this beast.

Also, it is an evolving story and the info comes in bit by bit.

Many of us have too much time right now so there’s even more chatter.

To conclude, political talk etc can be (rightly in my opinion) banned, but where do you draw the line on talking about the current err...appropriately titled, ‘hot topic’ of latest camera news in the camera area of a forum?!

The canboys object for one reason only - because people are saying negative things about their 'special one'.

Would they be objecting if it was all positive? Of course not. They'd be joining in.

They just want to shut down anything other than the Canon party line.

Andrew has created a forum where different opinions can be aired. This IME is reasonably rare in photography forums which can be the very definition of manufacturer party line echo chamber. If people want that (and it appears some here do) you have many other options. 

31 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

@zerocool22 I get where you are coming from but at the same time this place is not some scripted production where there is an announcement, everybody gets to make one comment and then it’s topic closed.

It’s a forum where people talk. Talk a load of shit half the time, good and bad, but that’s the nature of this beast.

Also, it is an evolving story and the info comes in bit by bit.

Many of us have too much time right now so there’s even more chatter.

To conclude, political talk etc can be (rightly in my opinion) banned, but where do you draw the line on talking about the current err...appropriately titled, ‘hot topic’ of latest camera news in the camera area of a forum?!

The way I see it, this forum has played a major role in how huge hybrid cameras have become for actual filmmaking. That happened because Andrew and others were finding workarounds and solutions to these small cameras most Pros would never use on paid productions. Yeah theres always gonna be opposing views, and brand favorites but it's easy to recognize a hater.

That Nezza is talking more about "Canboys" than the R5 itself... LOL

7 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

SMALLRIG HDMI Cable Clamp  secures the Micro HDMI cable.  If you go external you most likely have a cage.  This isn't really an issue for the 4 hour record fix.

8 minutes ago, Nezza said:

Irony fail.

Not irony. We can always tend to be biased on our own viewpoints. So, we should try to practice self-criticism as much as we can : ) BTW, are you Italian or from Italian ancestry?

I ask you because I try to understand you. Without mention as a disclaimer footnote, I love Italy, Italians and "our" culture. I am Portuguese but one of them by adoption for decades today.

23 minutes ago, Super8 said:

SMALLRIG HDMI Cable Clamp  secures the Micro HDMI cable.  If you go external you most likely have a cage.  This isn't really an issue for the 4 hour record 

I use a similar clamp for USB, but a USB C cable is designed for such a small connector.  HDMI is a large cable, designed for a proper HDMI port, making the tiny micro one at one end a very flimsy and breakable piece, even for clamping.  I've got half a dozen such cables for my GH4, as I broke one just trying to attach it. 

Besides rigging my Pocket camera with a clamp and rig makes sense, its not a hybrid, but if you pick a R5, it being designed for Photography, weather sealed, small, light and unobtrusive makes it ideal for those jobs where I don't want to rig it.  

4 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

They didn't design a hybrid because they simply didn't want it. For obvious reasons. A pity.

Our trade-off now is trying now how to take advantage from this gem, if possible, in order to overcome this overheating issue and their firmware cripple.

Well they did design it as a hybrid.  Its got excellent photo features, which are good enough to make it arguably more a stills camera than video.  Its us video users who want more.  True hybrid users mainly shooting photos with a tiny bit of video will encounter issues less frequently.  They will also likely be happy with line skipped 4K. 

Again its us picky video professionals that struggle with this camera.  I would buy a hybrid camera for video with occasional photo functions and because I want reliable, good quality 4K, this camera fails to meet my needs.  I also want more than 12MP, so A7sIII is out too unfortunately.

Its gem qualities that you speak of, for me exist in its weather sealing, its small size, its photo functions, its AF and its IBIS.  Now some of those will be hindered by rigging.  I can understand for those who just want to record lots of HQ video at any cost on this camera because it is Canon, will settle for compromises.  For others, its taking away the very thing that would make this camera something we would value in our equipment range.  

As all our milage will differ depending on our needs, it becomes an argument with no clear resolution, except to agree to differ in how we see the camera in how it would perform in our own personal workflow.  We all agree that overheating does exists, because it is now considered a fact.  

9 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

Nice video, with some great shots.  DR seems a bit off in some moments.  There's some of that IBIS twitch and wobble; I assume the lens wasn't allowing for the full 8 stop IBIS advertise.  Its no different to the GH5 IBIS.  

I expect we shall see a flood of videos with 8K in the title in the same way you got when 6K recording became the option.  Once the novelty wears off, will people still be shooting 8K given the file size and editing hassle.  

IBIS is no substitute for a stabilizer or tripod, unfortunately. I believe 8K RAW at Full Frame is ideal for landscape and architectural videography as well as stock footage. VFX guys and product shooters (commercials, ads) would also find it useful, I'm sure.