Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

I just shot for 6 hours on an open plain of bare white sand at 25 to 33 degrees Celsius/91 degrees Fahrenheit, which I would consider a pretty worst case scenario, with the Pocket 4k. That's a 1300 dollar camera. It was so hot people could not touch the sand and external monitors turned purple at the edges. The pocket its fan became very loud but it kept going until we got all the shots. I really don't understand how Canon doesn't manage this.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

We are only a few weeks away from “5 AWESOME WAYS to KEEP YOUR R5 from OVERHEATING 🔥🔥 🚫” and “My TOP 10 TIPS for Shooting 8K RAW on the EOS R5!”.

With tips like:

1. Buy a $400-800 external recorder for your $4,000 mirrorless photo camera.
  2. Take your battery out.
  3. Take your CFexpress card out. MAke sure to leave your SD card door OPEN!
  4. After shooting take off your lens and expose your sensor
  5. Avoid hot weather
  6. Don’t take photos before video
  7. Bring a second body, $2,600 R6 or another $4,000 R5 and swap them.
  8. Realize you paid $4,000 for another EOS R...again. LOL!

But its Canon...if any other company released a camera like this they would be out of business fast and all the Canon apologist would be saying the same thing: “Unreliable piece of junk!, Not professional gear!, I wouldn’t dare shoot a a job where I was getting paid with that camera”.

See my list above for 7 AWESOME WAYS to KEEP your R5 from OVERHEATING!!!

I gotta pull you up on this, just check out Sony years back and even this week people are still posting about Sony overheating workarounds, there's loads of videos on this recently:

What's up with the overly myopic agenda against Canon on here with some of you guys? It's like Canon broke up with you or something. It's just gear.

26 minutes ago, Punio said:

I gotta pull you up on this, just check out Sony years back and even this week people are still posting about Sony overheating workarounds, there's loads of videos on this recently:

What's up with the overly myopic agenda against Canon on here with some of you guys? It's like Canon broke up with you or something. It's just gear.

A7iii was released 2 years ago for half the price. It does sometimes overheat but I have gotten the warning only twice after turning off the auto distortion correction (which does cause OH with some lenses). It was also never advertised and hyped by Sony as the best thing since sliced bread, mega hyping the video features.

Even the classic poster boy for overheating, the Sony a6500, for $1500 was never advertised or hyped as a professional video tool, at least nowhere near the R5 is.

Meanwhile canon fanboys salviating over the R5 like it was the Messiah... Then it OH after 30 mins and needs a 2hr cool down, and cost 4k, so yeah, I gotta pull you up on this.

A lot us, Sony users included wouldn't mind an amazing R5 because we would buy and use it it too... But for the average corporate shoot it's too unreliable.

27 minutes ago, Punio said:

Post the similar miss Canon made previously that's bigger than this. 

37 minutes ago, Punio said:

You might be surprised to find out that I find the Sony overheating just as bad. I am brand agnostic when it comes to my criticism because if you camera overheats when you want or need to use it, it doesn’t matter what brand it is, its fucking sucks.

Furthermore, I WANT Canon to get their shit together so I can have a Canon mirrorless camera with my holy grail specs of bulletproof 4K up to 120p. Believe me, Canon would have my money. I bash Canon out of disappointment more than anything and hope they fix it.

I used the nex 5n a few years ago, no other mirrorless had 1080 24p “super 35” back then, so adapting any lens to it was very appealing. There was only gh2 to compete to it. We put up with it and worked around it cause it was unique (no Blackmagic yet, no video on fuji, no full manual control on Nikon apsc, poorly pixel binned or line skipped on canon, very expensive to even go to fs100 for almost the same quality)... But now there are all sorts of options from all brands (used cameras can give you almost all you need at almost all budgets), so if the r5, r6, xt4 or a7s3 are a liability to you and your shooting style (pro or amateur) just buy something else.

I still love the small form factor of a mirrorless and the options it gives to make it as big or as small as you want it rigged. And if workarounds exist to make the r5 results more consistent and with less downtime in the future, I will use it if a project comes that will benefit from its unique features (8k 4k120... 4k non hq is not unique).

It will not be different from using a gimbal or a crane or a dolly or an underwater housing or an external mic or an external recorder or any other tool needed for filming.

Philip Bloom just posted this on his Instagram account:

”Shooting real time sunset on #elenibeach In Skiathos with the @canonukR5 and @sonyalpha A7S III so I can put them on my tv when I am home and pretend I am there. 

The R5 managed 26 minutes in 4K HQ mode before shutting down. Now it’s recording in 4K line skipped mode. I just need to watch for that 29.59 record limit. 

The A7S III is recording 50p 4K 10 bit. It’s been going for 90 minutes now, zero issues.”

5 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

You might be surprised to find out that I find the Sony overheating just as bad. I am brand agnostic when it comes to my criticism because if you camera overheats when you want or need to use it, it doesn’t matter what brand it is, its fucking sucks.

Furthermore, I WANT Canon to get their shit together so I can have a Canon mirrorless camera with my holy grail specs of bulletproof 4K up to 120p. Believe me, Canon would have my money. I bash Canon out of disappointment more than anything and hope they fix it.

I never thought I'd put a like in the same post of that guy up there... LOL : ) Only you to lead me there :- D

9 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

POS tiny sensor loser camera.

I never thought I would be so proud of my GH5 in 2020. I will admit I did not think it was possible to get it to overheat but then when he explained the conditions and I realized it probably reached over 160F it made sense. I do wish he had kept it at 4K60 in the shade then it would have been a better test. For all we know it might not have overheated at 4K24 in the sunlight just like it might have overheated again at 4K60 in the shade.

14 hours ago, Geoff_L said:

I just watch the latest Armando Ferreira's video and... this is really unbelievable, really... I am debating between R6, A7Siii and Z6 and, for a hybrid still/video use, the R6 and R5 seem more and more of little interest. Basically, after a video filled with overheating problem experiences, their sum up, as I understand it, is : R5 4k HQ is great, but it overheats ==> so you are forced to use regular 4k, which is bad ==> so the R6 comes to the rescue, as its 4k is better than the regular R5 one ==> but it also overheats ==> and so on... (and all that, I believe, without a heavy photography use between video takes !)
I still have time to make a decision, but it's a shame as the R6 is a sweet spot if you don't need high mega pixels sensor but good high iso performance and good videos...

The R5 has been test to go 4 hours without overheating if you record with the Atomos Ninja V.    External recording is needed with the Z6, S1H and A7S3 to record RAW.

13 hours ago, mechanicalEYE said:

I get the backlash for the R5 and R6 overheating, but we all know what it is at this point until Canon changes things. To have the proud polar opposites of "fanboys" and so-called "canboys" posting around the clock about the "Fanboys" and so-called "canboys" seems like some hater shit. It is corny asf really.  Nobody has to buy the R5, and if you didn't pre-order it you don't have to worry about the shortcomings of the camera.  Mad about someones willingness to use a camera they paid for with their own money. LOL

Actually in this case yes....I do think absolutely no one should buy the R5 and the R6..want to know why? Because every single buyer of these two cameras proves to Canon that they can get away with selling a camera that is unfit for purpose. So as long as buyers keep rewarding Canon for putting out products that are unfit for purpose guess what Canon is going to keep doing? 

Canon IMO is closer than anyone else to creating the perfect hybrid camera (AF, Color Science, ecosystem, lenses, form factor, etc.), unless people vote with their wallets they have no incentive to change that last 10%.

39 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

Actually in this case yes....I do think absolutely no one should buy the R5 and the R6..want to know why? Because every single buyer of these two cameras proves to Canon that they can get away with selling a camera that is unfit for purpose. So as long as buyers keep rewarding Canon for putting out products that are unfit for purpose guess what Canon is going to keep doing? 

Canon IMO is closer than anyone else to creating the perfect hybrid camera (AF, Color Science, ecosystem, lenses, form factor, etc.), unless people vote with their wallets they have no incentive to change that last 10%.

You and everyone else interested in buying new cameras has the right to choose whether to buy or not... Tech discussions are cool, but the whining, and negativity is played out. The hottest topic on this board is the R5 and its funny that some are here whining daily, repeating the same reasons to avoid buying the camera over and over again like most don't already know about the issues, and a few others are open to workarounds and getting called canboys just for looking for solutions to the issues. Super silly, and shouldn't be that serious. Buy it or don't buy it! I'm not into the "lets get together and hold Canon accountable for not giving us that last 10% they have been holding out on us" Why? because we don't have to buy it... and I'm certainly not mad at those who want to love it... Much more important things to get worked up for in the world today than 4K HQ and 4K 120 continuous recording.

Certain people want to shut down any rightful criticism of Canon. Why? Because of course they are not so closet canboys.

The ‘argument’ that Canons very clear failings aren’t as bad as something worse isn’t an argument.

This is a camera forum, to discuss cameras. If you want to discuss geo politics there’s other forums for that.

This was arguably Canons biggest launch for a decade and they failed. Spectacularly. It’s not surprising people wish to discuss or rightly criticise them for their failing.

Debate stoppers reveal one thing, their blatant canboyism. 

30 minutes ago, Nezza said:

Certain people want to shut down any rightful criticism of Canon. Why? Because of course they are not so closet canboys.

Everybody here agrees that the R5 has overheating problems, but whether or not it's a deal breaker depends on the users usecase. For me, the R5 seems to offer something very useful and I have therefore ordered the camera fully aware of the overheating. It seems like this makes me a canboy from your point of view, and you seem to refuse to acknowledge that the R5 might work well for users with different needs than you. My last Canon camera is the 6D from 2012 and I own newer cameras from both Sony and Panasonic. The R5 will enable me to retire my Sony camera and 6D, while my GH5 will cover the the cases where the R5 falls short.

6 hours ago, Super8 said:

The R5 has been test to go 4 hours without overheating if you record with the Atomos Ninja V.    External recording is needed with the Z6, S1H and A7S3 to record RAW.

That micro HDMI port is the weak link.  The S1H at least has a proper HDMI port.  That said, the cameras you quote are external recording to get RAW, with long recordings of HQ 4K doing fine on internal.  With the R5, its the other way round, which feels a bit backwards.  

2 hours ago, Kino said:

Ooh la la! There is a bit too much contrast, but it is a nice image overall. There is also significant noise in some of the night shots, but that might be user error.

Nice video, with some great shots.  DR seems a bit off in some moments.  There's some of that IBIS twitch and wobble; I assume the lens wasn't allowing for the full 8 stop IBIS advertise.  Its no different to the GH5 IBIS.  

I expect we shall see a flood of videos with 8K in the title in the same way you got when 6K recording became the option.  Once the novelty wears off, will people still be shooting 8K given the file size and editing hassle.