Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, 1Ale82 said:

I think that Canon never intended this camera to be targeted at professional works.

I disagree.

It depends on how you define 'professional works'.

Making a feature film with it? Then probably not. As a C cam or similar on a Netflix series or Hollywood blockbuster, then why not, but as the principal filmmaking tool, of course not.

But is a wedding videographer not producing professional work?

Or a travel documentarian?

Or journalist?

Or sports/fashion hybrid shooter?

All of the above are EXACTLY who this camera was targeted at and the R6 that sits below it.

Otherwise what was it for, occasional snaps of cats and kids (yours own and not strangers) at the park?

I just watch the latest Armando Ferreira's video and... this is really unbelievable, really... I am debating between R6, A7Siii and Z6 and, for a hybrid still/video use, the R6 and R5 seem more and more of little interest. Basically, after a video filled with overheating problem experiences, their sum up, as I understand it, is : R5 4k HQ is great, but it overheats ==> so you are forced to use regular 4k, which is bad ==> so the R6 comes to the rescue, as its 4k is better than the regular R5 one ==> but it also overheats ==> and so on... (and all that, I believe, without a heavy photography use between video takes !)
I still have time to make a decision, but it's a shame as the R6 is a sweet spot if you don't need high mega pixels sensor but good high iso performance and good videos...

31 minutes ago, Nezza said:

That people are publishing YouTube vids that they managed to make a video with the R5 without issue is a pretty damning state of affairs.

We are only a few weeks away from “5 AWESOME WAYS to KEEP YOUR R5 from OVERHEATING 🔥🔥 🚫” and “My TOP 10 TIPS for Shooting 8K RAW on the EOS R5!”.

With tips like:

1. Buy a $400-800 external recorder for your $4,000 mirrorless photo camera.
  2. Take your battery out.
  3. Take your CFexpress card out. MAke sure to leave your SD card door OPEN!
  4. After shooting take off your lens and expose your sensor
  5. Avoid hot weather
  6. Don’t take photos before video
  7. Bring a second body, $2,600 R6 or another $4,000 R5 and swap them.
  8. Realize you paid $4,000 for another EOS R...again. LOL!

But its Canon...if any other company released a camera like this they would be out of business fast and all the Canon apologist would be saying the same thing: “Unreliable piece of junk!, Not professional gear!, I wouldn’t dare shoot a a job where I was getting paid with that camera”.

12 minutes ago, Geoff_L said:

I just watch the latest Armando Ferreira's video and... this is really unbelievable, really... I am debating between R6, A7Siii and Z6 and, for a hybrid still/video use, the R6 and R5 seem more and more of little interest. Basically, after a video filled with overheating problem experiences, their sum up, as I understand it, is : R5 4k HQ is great, but it overheats ==> so you are forced to use regular 4k, which is bad ==> so the R6 comes to the rescue, as its 4k is better than the regular R5 one ==> but it also overheats ==> and so on... (and all that, I believe, without a heavy photography use between video takes !)
I still have time to make a decision, but it's a shame as the R6 is a sweet spot if you don't need high mega pixels sensor but good high iso performance and good videos...

See my list above for 7 AWESOME WAYS to KEEP your R5 from OVERHEATING!!!

8 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

We are only a few weeks away from “5 AWESOME WAYS to KEEP YOUR R5 from OVERHEATING 🔥🔥 🚫” and “My TOP 10 TIPS for Shooting 8K RAW on the EOS R5!”.

With tips like:

1. Buy a $400-800 external recorder for your $4,000 mirrorless photo camera.
  2. Take your battery out.
  3. Take your CFexpress card out. MAke sure to leave your SD card door OPEN!
  4. After shooting take off your lens and expose your sensor
  5. Avoid hot weather
  6. Don’t take photos before video
  7. Bring a second body, $2,600 R6 or another $4,000 R5 and swap them.
  8. Realize you paid $4,000 for another EOS R...again. LOL!

But its Canon...if any other company released a camera like this they would be out of business fast and all the Canon apologist would be saying the same thing: “Unreliable piece of junk!, Not professional gear!, I wouldn’t dare shoot a a job where I was getting paid with that camera”.

See my list above for 7 AWESOME WAYS to KEEP your R5 from OVERHEATING!!!

The fanboyism around Canon is quite remarkable. You're obviously joking about those tips but we all know those vids will start appearing.

The 'workarounds' are increasingly laughable but the canboys simply cannot accept that their beloved Canon has failed. They totally fell for the hype. I've only ever seen fanboyism this bad in gaming, Sony vs Microsoft. 

I do think it's dangerous though, people are being swayed to spend many thousands on what is essentially defective product. 

I get the backlash for the R5 and R6 overheating, but we all know what it is at this point until Canon changes things. To have the proud polar opposites of "fanboys" and so-called "canboys" posting around the clock about the "Fanboys" and so-called "canboys" seems like some hater shit. It is corny asf really.  Nobody has to buy the R5, and if you didn't pre-order it you don't have to worry about the shortcomings of the camera.  Mad about someones willingness to use a camera they paid for with their own money. LOL

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

I disagree.

It depends on how you define 'professional works'.

But is a wedding videographer not producing professional work?

Speaking as a Wedding Videographer, who was looking at the R6 and maybe R5 for such work, primarily as a B camera to my BM Pockets, I would not consider it usable for Wedding work.  I would be very reluctant to hire anyone using this camera as I want HQ 4K and not line skipped mush and I need stuff to be filmed through the day and not the first 20 mins of it. 

I stand by that the R5 shooting HQ video formats isn't suitable for any Professionals.  Lower the recording to standard 4K, 1090p or trust the micro HDMI port to use an external recorder, then yes.  Internal HQ recording.  No.

5 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Speaking as a Wedding Videographer, who was looking at the R6 and maybe R5 for such work, primarily as a B camera to my BM Pockets, I would not consider it usable for Wedding work.  I would be very reluctant to hire anyone using this camera as I want HQ 4K and not line skipped mush and I need stuff to be filmed through the day and not the first 20 mins of it. 

I stand by that the R5 shooting HQ video formats isn't suitable for any Professionals.  Lower the recording to standard 4K, 1090p or trust the micro HDMI port to use an external recorder, then yes.  Internal HQ recording.  No.

I agree Steve but my point was it WAS aimed at us...and does not appear fit for that purpose at this time.

What's Canon's headline for the R5?

"Professional mirrorless redefined"

It's literally the first word they use to describe the camera.

Yet it's obviously completely unsuitable for pro work. I wouldn't be surprised if there are class action lawsuits. 

21 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Have you ever considered the 5.1K route coupled to a speedbooster + EF lenses?

They say it doesn't show overheating issues.

1 minute ago, SteveV4D said:

£4k just to use a fullframe camera in cropped mode.  🤔  Half the price and I'd consider it.

Agreed : ) My hope is they upgrade their firmware uplifting their recording limits and Tilta may prove to be able to diminish the heat in a way the user can extend the usage for 8K & 4K 120fps not for continuous recording, obviously, but definitely not for the brick all this hassle meant to be.

2 minutes ago, Kino said:

Engineering guy: "I shot an entire wedding on the R5 in 1080P and it didn't overheat":

Like I said, this stuff just writes itself . . .

🤣

Buying an expensive 8k camera to shoot awful and soft 1080p 😋

Better get yourself a second hand C100 or R for for less then 1/3 of the price.

6 minutes ago, Kino said:

Engineering guy: "I shot an entire wedding on the R5 in 1080P and it didn't overheat":

Like I said, this stuff just writes itself . . .

Click bait title with an... 'oh and by the way....' once you press play.   I saw this video few days ago and 🙄