Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The first 10 minutes might look decent before it overheats, then when he has to switch down to his backup 1080 cam from 10 years ago to capture the rest.

Then he has to downres it all to 1080 in post. Great job! You certainly proved your point!

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

What about engineering filmmakers...? : D

image.thumb.png.d5a680d567bb8fcced4b1d223daa0fc1.png

The Wedding Business has some real amateurs working it.  Buy a new R5 and plan to use it as an A camera for a Wedding and now he worries.  Seriously, some people shouldn't do video Professionally if they behave like this.   The reply is stupid too.  Even if you love the R5, to suggest shooting with it when so much evidence exists to suggest its limitations for such work.  Its one thing to work through those limitations yourself, another thing to advise others to do the same.

3 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I’m thinking about getting an R5 and offering a new wedding video service where I start with bride prep.

Then I go home and have a proper BBQ.

To be fair, the bride prep would just be a few photos and maybe some non heating low res footage.

The drive to the next location should be ok for cooling it IF you turned it off.    

Then you just hope no one is late or maybe you can ask the wedding party to rearrange the schedule to get the important stuff over first.

Maybe catching the bouquet before the walk down the aisle??

Either that or tow or three cameras should work.

6 minutes ago, noone said:

To be fair, the bride prep would just be a few photos and maybe some non heating low res footage.

The drive to the next location should be ok for cooling it IF you turned it off.    

Then you just hope no one is late or maybe you can ask the wedding party to rearrange the schedule to get the important stuff over first.

Maybe catching the bouquet before the walk down the aisle??

Either that or tow or three cameras should work.

R5 can be used in a weeding as the C camera, probably B, but I am sure that guy will bring at least two more bodies, and use the R5 for 60p and probably 120p for very short seconds, that will add something that probably he is already missing in their current gear.

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Bride : Did you have any prior warning that it might be prone to overheating and not being able to record for more than a few minutes ?

Film maker : Absolutely not, no.

The Internetsassy GIF

Priest: "If any of you has a reason why these two should not be married, speak now or forever hold your peace." 

Film maker: "WAIT THIS PEACE OF SHIT IS OVERHEATING!"

Bride to groom: "See? I said to you to use a lighter fabric in your clothes"

On 8/7/2020 at 2:10 AM, herein2020 said:

I have two conspiracy theories of my own:

• Theory 1 - Canon had no choice but to release this camera exactly like it is. They knew the A7SIII was going to be announced any day and upper leadership told the engineers that they did not have 6 months to develop a new body and cooling solution so they decided to release it anyway; with this strategy they will reel in whoever is blindly loyal enough to buy it with all of its shortcomings while buying themselves some time to release an updated model within the next 6 months or so; basically a page from Sony's playbook and a continuation of the EOS R stopgap approach.
  • Theory 2 - This is their first run at IBIS and they didn't expect it to to really overheat this much in real world use. They also maybe didn't account for just how much of the world is hot and humid and they underestimated the fallout from an overheating limitation vs. a known software cripple hammer. So now they are in a bunch of boardroom meetings trying to decide if they should raise their very conservative recovery timer while risking shortening the life of the camera body by letting the internal temps rise higher than they do now and while returning usability faster than the current timer allows both of which will probably end up frying the camera in the long run but after the warranty runs out.

In my opinion both theories still come to the same conclusion...these cameras are not fit for purpose let alone a camera that can comfortably be used as primary production video camera on a professional set (Canon's marketing materials not my words). So yea, they set the expectations very high and we are perfectly entitled to be pissed off that it doesn't live up to their own marketing hype.

I think that Canon never intended this camera to be targeted at professional works. There are the 1D and Cx00, etc. line for that. 5R with hardware limitations, software limitations? Probably the potential user of this product will never need to record more than 1 minute of 8k raw and definitely will never work on Premiere with H265 files. This is the camera targeted to rich amateurs like parents recording graduations and soccer games, rich tourists, etc. where there are way more potential users for each potential one using it as a professional tool. After all, the Canon lenses are good, the PDFAF is good, colors are good. The aggressive marketing of Canon is good at selling products and probably Canon will sell a lot fo 5R and 6R. Just go to any camera shop and you will see 40% of the space taken up by Canon, another 40% by Sony, 10% by Nikon and the remaining 10% divided among Panasonic, Leica, Olympus.

So what would be the smallest best rig setup for the canon r5 + ninja 5(or alternative) + dummy battery? How to power this thing and where to place it all. I dont like mounting and demounting everything everytime I take the camera out. So a rig that allows it to put it in a bag without demounting anything? 

Allthough while typing I realised for gymbal shots you would need to demount this thing, which is a letdown.  

22 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

So what would be the smallest best rig setup for the canon r5 + ninja 5(or alternative) + dummy battery? How to power this thing and where to place it all. I dont like mounting and demounting everything everytime I take the camera out. So a rig that allows it to put it in a bag without demounting anything? 

Allthough while typing I realised for gymbal shots you would need to demount this thing, which is a letdown.  

You do not have to run a dummy battery. The workaround seems to be not having a card in camera, while you can still use the LP-E6NH batteries in cam.

16 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

R5 can be used in a weeding as the C camera, probably B, but I am sure that guy will bring at least two more bodies, and use the R5 for 60p and probably 120p for very short seconds, that will add something that probably he is already missing in their current gear.

The 'Enginnerring Filmaker' guy seems to be determined to find out...  I guess we'll see.