Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

29 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

So yes, some workarounds may exist in certain scenarios for anyone determined to make the system work in certain ways, but it is not THE answer.

Agreed. For my user case, I need maybe a 80/20 split photos and videos, and I need the best of both. So a hybrid camera is my preferred option. I simply cannot afford an A7S3 and A7R4 together; I'm not confident about using other brands either. So that leaves the A73, as an alternative answer, and that doesn't excite me. I'm happy to try the workarounds with the R5 until they can figure it out.... or the mark 2 comes out!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

These workarounds don't work for all modes. What about 4k 120p? Can't do that currently with an external recorder and even if you could, you've now lost compactness which makes it difficult or impossible to use in the field for wildlife videography.  It defeats the purpose of the camera for how I would use it.

Even if you primarily shoot stills, the damn camera heats up and makes it nearly unusable when you do want to take video.

I fail to understand why anyone would use these workarounds for a camera with bad engineering design. Why promote this garbage? Why spend thousands of dollars on a camera that works half-assed at best and requires you to spend another thousand to use it for some of it's video modes but not all?

If you want to stop Canon from making shit cameras stop buying them.

4 minutes ago, ajay said:

I fail to understand why anyone would use these workarounds for a camera with bad engineering design. Why promote this garbage? Why spend thousands of dollars on a camera that works half-assed at best and requires you to spend another thousand to use it for some of it's video modes but not all?

This is it. Only canboy's persist in coming up with increasingly comical 'workarounds' rather than admit it's a lemon.

Curious that they would have such brand loyalty when they've being royally screwed by Canon - but that's fanboys for you. Logic and reason left the building a long time ago!

4 hours ago, Nezza said:

Canon arrogantly took people for granted and thought they could get away with it because they are 'Canon'. But this is not the year 2000. They have serious competition with Sony and smartphones are now photography for the masses.

Andrew and others have written how this is a problem with Japanese companies more broadly and their failure to adapt and keep an 84 year old CEO just for example. Canon is in serious trouble and in 5-10 years will not be the size they are now.

?

24 minutes ago, Nezza said:

This is it. Only canboy's persist in coming up with increasingly comical 'workarounds' rather than admit it's a lemon.

Curious that they would have such brand loyalty when they've being royally screwed by Canon - but that's fanboys for you. Logic and reason left the building a long time ago!

??

1 hour ago, ajay said:

That’s probably the single biggest issue.

Other than the slightly more than derogatory term ‘canboy’, I suspect that the majority of purchasers worldwide do so because Canon is the most well known brand of camera in the world and because normal people don’t spend their lives on niche forums talking shite all day in absence of having any paid work.

26 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

That’s probably the single biggest issue.

Other than the slightly more than derogatory term ‘canboy’, I suspect that the majority of purchasers worldwide do so because Canon is the most well known brand of camera in the world and because normal people don’t spend their lives on niche forums talking shite all day in absence of having any paid work.

Absense of paid work is the story of my life this year.  

Besides normal people, whatever the hell that means,  are the ones using phones.  I didn't become a videographer to be classified as normal.  🤣🤣🤣

46 minutes ago, ajay said:

These workarounds don't work for all modes. What about 4k 120p? Can't do that currently with an external recorder and even if you could, you've now lost compactness which makes it difficult or impossible to use in the field for wildlife videography.  It defeats the purpose of the camera for how I would use it.

Even if you primarily shoot stills, the damn camera heats up and makes it nearly unusable when you do want to take video.

The R5 as a video camera as it is now is still not feasible for all video creators. But then is there a camera other than the A7S3 that's 'perfect'? Sony used to overheat and still has (imho) greeny yellow colour science and didn't have a flip screen. Panasonic S1H and their G5 range has shocking autofocus performance etc. Canon has poor dynamic range and would leave out features etc. Does any camera tick every box.

No camera is perfect, all have some issue that you have to work around.  What's the workaround for 12mp stills on the A7S3? I would need to get the A73 or A7R4, a £2k workaround.

1 hour ago, ajay said:

Have you heard of the pandemic?

I think you miss the irony in my post. That is my EXACT point. The industry, those of us anyway that work in it, are currently twiddling our thumbs and waiting on better times so have a lot of extra time we might not ordinarily have to talk endless shite on-line 😉

15 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Seems fishy to me.

So,...the R5 can circumvent Cannon's carefully placed recording restrictions IF the camera does not detect that a card is inserted.

Hmm...looks like a firmware back door "hole" that the programmers missed. That oversight could get could get at Cannon firmware programmer fired.

It's not easy to think of "every" way that Cannon owners can hack an R5 to make it do what its not supposed to. Looks like they can probably fix that on the next R5 firmware release. Should be an easy hole to patch. Just reprogram the heat condition no matter if the card is in the socket or not.

• Super Members
16 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

It really does blow my mind how willing people are to reward Canon with their money even if it means having to use an external recorder, empty card slots, and a dummy battery to get usable results.

If we equate the R5 to the Dead Parrot sketch from Monty Python, then we're roughly at the " it's pining for the fjords" stage at this point.

What about engineering filmmakers...? : D

image.thumb.png.d5a680d567bb8fcced4b1d223daa0fc1.png

source

2 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

It really does blow my mind how willing people are to reward Canon with their money even if it means having to use an external recorder, empty card slots, and a dummy battery to get usable results.

Because of outcome from amateur hands like this sample here:

:- )