Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

You must have comprehension issues.

You're the one with comprehension issues - in the video above he was forced to state what settings he used in the comments below. I quote him:

"4K HQ, 23.98p, IBIS on, AF ON, ALL-I (even though that doesn't matter in this case)."

He also says in the video using an external recorder 'solves' 4K on the R5. This is an outright lie - he hasn't tested it at the higher frame rates. You can't trust a word he says if he's prepared to lie like this. 

Look at the pretty much universal praise for Gerald's video. I know who I trust rather than this liar.

6 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Heres another guy claiming he ran externally (Blackmagic Video Assist) without card in camera until batteries died @ 2 hours.

So this seems to be related to having the card in camera.

Could it be firmware (intentional cripple?)? As if the card is inside but it is recording externally surely there shouldn't be any difference to when the card is removed?

6 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Heres another guy claiming he ran externally (Blackmagic Video Assist) without card in camera until batteries died @ 2 hours.

So this seems to be related to having the card in camera.

Need to see outdoor shooting in the sun to properly evaluate.  Of course, it makes the micro HDMI port an even bigger fail for this camera than it was before.  

4 minutes ago, Nezza said:

You're the one with comprehension issues - in the video above he was forced to state what settings he used in the comments below. I quote him:

"4K HQ, 23.98p, IBIS on, AF ON, ALL-I (even though that doesn't matter in this case)."

He also says in the video using an external recorder 'solves' 4K on the R5. This is an outright lie - he hasn't tested it at the higher frame rates. You can't trust a word he says if he's prepared to lie like this. 

Look at the pretty much universal praise for Gerald's video. I know who I trust rather than this liar.

That's funny cause Gerald approved of this video and has been conversing with him on twitter to do more tests lol.

You sure make it very difficult for yourself on here.  

It's really strange that with the card inside the camera and without writing into it build up heat. 

Gerald's external recording get longer times the internal  with the card inside the camera. So, don't believe it's na software limitation/cripple from Canon.

The only explanation I have is that the card itself is absorbing the heat from the the other parts of the camera.

But wen the card is writing it helps to build up more heat.

9 minutes ago, luizhmgoncalves said:

The only explanation I have is that the card itself is absorbing the heat from the the other parts of the camera.

I've seen elsewhere users state CF cards just get warm from having them in a camera that's on, not even writing to them.

Canon sell this very heavily as a hybrid, seamlessly switching between modes. The idea when you want to switch between stills / video you have to change out cards and attach an external recorder makes a mockery of that claim. As others have said, also puts more pressure on micro HDMI port, constant switching in and out. The design is poor. Period.

The Blackmagic Video Assist 12G is very intriguing.

1) greatly mitigates or resolves overheating

2) cheap SSD and external media recording

3) XLR inputs and quality audio recording

4) professional monitor

5) potential BRAW support (currently supports C300ii and Panasonic EVA1)

The rumors about Canon considering BRAW would make a lot of sense here. I'd take this over the Atomos Ninja.

One solution a company like Tilta can come up with is:

A Cfexpress card adapter that has metal parts coming out of the camera in some kind of heatsink. It can have the shape of a battery grip. Inside it you can plug an Nvme type of storage (since cfexpress is based in PCI Express 3) and batteries. 

You have to remove the card door or the grip can have some kind of door holder.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

So the heat is all generated in the card bay?

I'd give it about an hour before Tilta have this ready for pre-order then.Tilta.thumb.jpg.79d64882ff7809471e6c8f15eb892f6e.jpg

Stop man to make my day with a good laugh! : ) I know you're so fanboy of them like I am! LOL ; )

Even because in the day they'll sort it out I'll have to spend a few grand on theirs... : X

2 hours ago, independent said:

The Blackmagic Video Assist 12G is very intriguing.

1) greatly mitigates or resolves overheating

2) cheap SSD and external media recording

3) XLR inputs and quality audio recording

4) professional monitor

5) potential BRAW support (currently supports C300ii and Panasonic EVA1)

The rumors about Canon considering BRAW would make a lot of sense here. I'd take this over the Atomos Ninja.

Blackmagic is a great brand indeed, just not idea if they can compete with Atomos' HDR... :- )

• Administrators

Finally the type of test that everyone should be talking about, but nobody bothered doing!

Richard Butler:

"In just under two hours I shot 164 images, all in CRAW, some as parts of short bursts. I then switched to video mode to capture some 4K HQ footage and was confronted by 04:00 minute limit, despite plenty of card capacity.

The overheat warning displayed immediately and, after shooting three sub-10-second clips the camera said it would only shoot for another 02:00 minutes."

FUCKING SHIT!

With this overheating issue? Never.

Solved or through a workaround to comprehend Raw 12-bit 8K 24p/25p/30p & H.265 4:2:2 10-bit 4K 120fps?

Definitely, yes, without any other contender able to compete as of today.

Take a look on that comparison test against the RED babe... : ) I imagine Jim already bought one : D