Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Oh dear @Andrew Reid

Seems that Canon have been victim to a ransomware attack.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2020/08/05/has-canon-suffered-a-ransomware-attack-10tb-of-data-alleged-stolen-report/#45538b3d499e

I wonder if somewhere within that 10tb of data they've had stolen there is a forlorn email from the head of R&D saying "Yes, we've got it to do 8K and all that shit but you do realise this fucking thing is going to overheat if we don't put a cooling system in it don't you?"

Oops!

I wonder if any leaks will come from this.

I've always wondered what is behind the total mystery that is Canon.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I would say, someone in Canon will take some heat for this attack, but they've already redistributed it to their cameras. 

• Super Members
1 minute ago, Andrew Reid said:

Oops!

I wonder if any leaks will come from this.

I've always wondered what is behind the total mystery that is Canon.

According to the original report that Forbes used as the source for that article, if Canon don't pay the ransom then the hackers have created a data leak site where they will publish the data.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/canon-hit-by-maze-ransomware-attack-10tb-data-allegedly-stolen/

5 minutes ago, plucas said:

Apparently you can extend the external recording life in the 4K HQ mode (30fps) if you remove any cards from within the R5:

This is a nice find. It shows that the card space of the camera is one of the parts building up heat. It might be a solution for external recording.

Since there is no writing to the cards, and the card door is closed in his test, that empty space without cards might help reducing the heat. Don't know...

More tests need to be conducted.

Canon might come up with a card door extender/cooler, hahaha.

And for the prices of cfexpress cards a Ninja V recorder is really an option. 

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

image.thumb.png.16213093316ec5a9ea61af9a7aee09a9.png

Interesting comparison here (from that user):

2 to 3 hours to generate proxys for 11 mins of 8K and 2 hours to render the finished 7 min video and that was with minimum grading.

With all the overheating, the handling of the H265 codec tends to get forgotten in discussions.   If that's the workflow, then the overheating isn't an issue.  I wouldn't want to record more than 20 minutes of footage.

18 minutes ago, shooter said:

hdmi isn't limited to 4k?

With an HDMI 2.1 cable,  yeah I know.  Is there a micro HDMI to full HDMI 2.1 cable?

Besides, Canons own specs have suggested output is limited to 4K at 60p.  No mention of 8K output.  Unless fireware adds this down the road.  Will the micro port handle 8K for RAW Or ProRes recording?  

7 hours ago, plucas said:

Apparently you can extend the external recording life in the 4K HQ mode (30fps) if you remove any cards from within the R5:

strange gerald, being so thorough, missed something so simple as taking a card out! who would have known? Thats the problem when companies give you a camera for like 2 weeks and expect you to do a full review on all the specs. You need to own a camera to be able to figure out all the kinks. 

Interesting development but having had a micro hdmi break on me even when clamped in a cage (fortunately only for monitor not recorder) , I wouldn't want to rely on that for recording all day, especially if you can't record internally for back up. Too many other things to worry about when shooting all day without playing Russian roulette with overheating and those shitty connections  

13 minutes ago, Nezza said:

This guy neglected to mention in the video he shot at 24p, not the higher frame rates. Then he had to add an update that other people were using recorders and getting overheating.

Simply not reliable, 4+ grand please! 

You must have comprehension issues. Direct from the video descriptions, and also posted like 20 seconds in:

"The Canon R5 does not seem to overheat, externally, if you don't have any cards in the camera. In this video I show (with as much proof as I can), how I'm able to record up to 4 hours in 4KHQ 30fps, 10-bit CLOG, with IBIS and DPAF all on, with no issues like the blackout or screen off issue myself and Gerald were having."

I'm all for bashing the camera, but if you want to do it at least be right.