Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

8 hours ago, Nezza said:

Gerald Undone reviews the R5 and 6.

He’s very clear who should and shouldn’t be buying these cameras. Excellent work.

People get easily wowed when someone has a command over numbers. 

You can't do a proper review in bite sized pieces. For example he says ibis is bad and then shows one small clip. Here is a full range of tests which shows exact opposite. 

Gerald said that he thinks color on a7siii is comparable to Arri Alexa. I will let people decide what that means and what to believe. 

Edit: if I am reviewing these cameras, I am trashing the absolute hell out of them - not just saying bad marketing.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Super8 said:

I will honestly go with the RED Komodo (Canon glass) and Z6 with the Atomos to create content.  

All this negative pilling on makes me sick.   Ok, we get it.   At least with RED and Nikon I'm away from the negativity.   

This from someone who heaped tonnes of negativity on the GH5 and Blackmagic. 😂😂. It's a different matter now it's Canon at the end of it.  😉

Besides no one is forcing you to read all this stuff.  

5 hours ago, Yurolov said:

Edit: if I am reviewing these cameras, I am trashing the absolute hell out of them - not just saying bad marketing.

If I was reviewing anything, I would be reporting my findings rather than my preconceived opinions.

It might be shit. It might be great. Most things will be somewhere between the two, but I would want to report the facts rather than go on a pre-intentional trash campaign.

7 hours ago, Yurolov said:

People get easily wowed when someone has a command over numbers. 

You can't do a proper review in bite sized pieces. For example he says ibis is bad and then shows one small clip. Here is a full range of tests which shows exact opposite. 

Gerald said that he thinks color on a7siii is comparable to Arri Alexa. I will let people decide what that means and what to believe. 

One of the most respected and impartial camera reviewers posts an incredibly detailed review that highlights both the pros and the cons of these cameras.

Meanwhile a canboy furiously googles to find another canboy that disagrees with Gerald.

Not difficult and obvious to see why.

1 hour ago, Nezza said:

One of the most respected and impartial camera reviewers posts an incredibly detailed review that highlights both the pros and the cons of these cameras.

Meanwhile a canboy furiously googles to find another canboy that disagrees with Gerald.

Not difficult and obvious to see why.

you gonna call everyone a canon fanboy? I just said the camera is worse than garbage and gerald went soft on them. 

I like how suddenly he is the most respected of them all lol. 

You are becoming quite an annoyance on here. 

2 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

you gonna call everyone a canon fanboy?

No, only those that are, such as yourself. This forum is, on the whole, much more objective than somewhere like dpreview, though there are a handful of canboys on here that don't like their bias being pointed out.

I just said the camera is worse than garbage and gerald went soft on them. 

His review is very fair and objective. Unlike the stuff you post, Canon apologist.

I like how suddenly he is the most respected of them all lol. 

Outside of your bubble he is.

You are becoming quite an annoyance on here. 

Ditto.

1 hour ago, Nezza said:

No, only those that are, such as yourself. This forum is, on the whole, much more objective than somewhere like dpreview, though there are a handful of canboys on here that don't like their bias being pointed out

I think you are more a hater then anybody is a fanboy over here.

It would be nice to unite all our arguments against Canon the brand not the users. I'm always moving from brand to brand on camera body choices, and have put high hopes on the R5 since the rumored specs.

I really don't believe Canon can solve the overheating problems by a firmware update, it seems to be some kind of heat exchange limitation due to weather sealing. That might be the only explanation for the longer recovery times unaffected by outside temperatures.

The other major problem for me is the h265 422 10bit that is unable to playback real-time in lots of systems. I have myself tested some R5 files in Resolve on my computer, and the Raw 8k plays Fine, and 4k clog h265 maxed out my CPU and frame skipped. Other cameras h265 played ok.

The only way to shoot Clog is h265, and that is a thing a firmware update can fix.

But I don't know if we keep buying this camera and keep being ok with filming lower quality 4k unplayable files, is a good message to Canon.

I work with documentaries, and sometimes, narrative shorts. Me and the people that I work with would really benefit from a camera with that specs and size, but the limitations that comes with it certainly is going to hurt the creative side of filmmaking.

6 minutes ago, Leica50mm said:

I think this camera is every bit as revolutionary as the original Canon 5D 

I notice in the comments section they confirmed overheating was an issue and the camera wasn't suitable for Professional work in their opinion. 

For small personal projects, you'd work around it.  After all, you are working for yourself.  As long as you wait long enough for the camera to cool down, there's nothing stopping you grabbing footage.  Start from cold, don't take photos and switch off in-between.  General consensus of opinion has never said the camera was totally unusable for any video work, just Professional work.

• Super Members
On 8/4/2020 at 12:54 AM, BTM_Pix said:

I read earlier today that their cloud image backup service has gone down and they have actually lost a lot of user's images.

Smells a lot like a hack and obviously Canon were concerned enough about potential ransomware vulnerabilites in the cameras last year to issue firmware patches so I hope its not related.

Its not exactly going swimmingly for them at the moment is it?

Oh dear @Andrew Reid

Seems that Canon have been victim to a ransomware attack.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveywinder/2020/08/05/has-canon-suffered-a-ransomware-attack-10tb-of-data-alleged-stolen-report/#45538b3d499e

I wonder if somewhere within that 10tb of data they've had stolen there is a forlorn email from the head of R&D saying "Yes, we've got it to do 8K and all that shit but you do realise this fucking thing is going to overheat if we don't put a cooling system in it don't you?"