Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

3 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Well even at 1080p the R5 is possibly the best mirrorless camera out there if it does not overheat and you dont need 4K. There are a lot more important factors (DR, color, ...) to camera then resolution (for me its the least important, well it needs to be good 1080p though).   But time will tell, too soon to jump on the R5 wagon as it might derail. 

I'm yet to see the 1080p R5 footage in detail. But normally Canon 1080p struggles with aliasing, over-sharpening, low detail in dark areas. 5ds image was one of the best Canon. But not on par with A7s line and GH5. Wins on color, roll-off,  etc though, IMHO

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Well even at 1080p the R5 is possibly the best mirrorless camera out there if it does not overheat and you dont need 4K. There are a lot more important factors (DR, color, ...) to camera then resolution (for me its the least important, well it needs to be good 1080p though).   But time will tell, too soon to jump on the R5 wagon as it might derail. 

You could just as easily say the S1H is the best mirrorless camera out there if you don't need great AF or the A7sIII is the best if you don't need photos larger than 12MP.  Knock enough of the cons out of the 'for and against' discussions cos you don't need or care about them and you have a winning camera.  Incidentally Sony has greater DR, and colour can be as much about grade, not to mention subject to what you like and prefer.  

No camera will be winning the best mirrorless contest anytime soon.  They're all flawed in crucial ways.

17 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Well even at 1080p the R5 is possibly the best mirrorless camera out there if it does not overheat and you dont need 4K.

"if it does not overheat and you dont need 4K." is doing a lot of heavy lifting here.

Man oh man, all those other TY channels that made multiple videos hyping this thing and making fun of people concerned about overheating (they are tying to be smart about how to spend their hard earned money) only to finally release a video telling us the major deal breakers with this camera and its marketing...those channels are anti-consumer and you should steer well clear of their bullshit.

6 hours ago, SteveV4D said:

He shot in 1080p 🤣🤣  All that hype of 8K and its basically a usable 1080p camera; just like all the other Canon cameras.  

I'm not sure, is the 1080p line skipped, pixel binned.. I would hate to shoot a Wedding with a 8K camera that was line skipping to 1080p.

You can always add an EF to RF mount speedbooster adapter and work FF from there avoiding overheating issue @ 5.1K resolution.

This information has already been advised before in this post and successive ones a dozen pages back along this same thread:

I think that Gerald Undone has made a great work with his review, far away from click baits and over dramatic headlines trying to hate Canon.

After the review is clear that the R5 and R6 are not good cameras if you shoot video thanks to overheating, heavy codecs, not so good dynamic range and some other little problems. That's it. If you want a video camera in a small body, go for the A7SIII or whatever brand you prefer.

11 minutes ago, Coiii said:

I think that Gerald Undone has made a great work with his review, far away from click baits and over dramatic headlines trying to hate Canon.

After the review is clear that the R5 and R6 are not good cameras if you shoot video thanks to overheating, heavy codecs, not so good dynamic range and some other little problems. That's it. If you want a video camera in a small body, go for the A7SIII or whatever brand you prefer.

Thanks for your post : ) Transcoding not for all or a firmware update will solve a part of that, I hope. But is a7SIII really better in anything other than no light shooting and I had missed so far?

6 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Thanks for your post : ) Transcoding not for all or a firmware update will solve that, I hope. But is a7SIII really better in anything other than no light shooting and I had missed so far?

I don't know if it's better, haven't tested myself, but to be completely honest, I will never understand the appealing of the "low light monster" or "see in the dark". I mean, it's ok, you have a high sensitive ISO camera that can see in the dark, but images still looks like trash with funny colors.

But they are what they are. Cheaper alternatives with high quality output for the price, good enough for small commercials and low budget narrative and music videos.

5 minutes ago, cam1982 said:

No insults or your insults?? How many people you here have called canboys? Your posts don't contribute for anything. We all know they overheat, so what? Add anything new or do a favor and shut up. Your attacks don't help.

Andrew specifically made a request to avoid squabbling, yet you've ignored him, accused me of being a troll and telling me to shut up. After I just posted a helpful video.

This is not your forum, it's Andrew's, so I suggest you refrain from telling other users to shut up and comply with Andrew's request to avoid arguments - which is exactly what you have started here whilst accusing me of derailing which is exactly what you continue to do.

I say again, quit this nonsense and let's get back to the cameras.

6 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Gerald points out that, with current color profiles, the R5 and R6 have poor dynamic range. So that mitigates against the R5 as being "possibly the best mirrorless camera out there." And plus, seriously, ~$4k for a 1080p camera in 2020 is so... 2020.

8 minutes ago, EphraimP said:

Gerald points out that, with current color profiles, the R5 and R6 have poor dynamic range. So that mitigates against the R5 as being "possibly the best mirrorless camera out there." And plus, seriously, ~$4k for a 1080p camera in 2020 is so... 2020.

Nuts isn't it! This is the 'flagship'. 2005 called and wants its camera back.

Canon have said they may add C log 3 via firmware which would obviously improves things, but with the much much larger issues I can see that going to the back of the dev queue.

That video by Gerald is excellent and to me sums things up perfectly.

It should make many of the Canon fanboys (especially those on the DPR R forum) a lot happier and maybe they might not think he is evil and anti Canon now?

One thing, did I get it right that the cameras are only 10 bit in Log?     So someone who does not grade and just shoots standard is going to get 8 bit video only? 

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Sharathc47 said:

https://wolfcrow.com/canon-eos-r5-overheating-tests-the-true-story/

R5 testing in different conditions by WOLFCROW(Sareesh sudhakaran).

Checkout his videos and blogs. He has very good content. Just like G.undone he is too informative

Ahem.

"The camera was turned on for 10 minutes to light, frame, expose, format, etc. Then switched off for 10 minutes."

Bit of a strange way to shoot. Light, frame, expose, compose... then do what for 10 mins? Turn camera off and have a cuppa?

"The camera was turned on again and I shot for 2 minutes, with a 2-minute break thereafter. Camera is turned off for all breaks. Repeat for three takes."

So 3 takes of 2 minutes = 6 mins... With leisurely 2 min break in-between each clip!

Very light usage.

"The third break is 5 minutes, not 2 minutes."

So we're now 3 short takes in after the 10 minute break followed by 2 breaks of 2 minutes and another one of 5 mins.

That is more downtime than a French air traffic controller.

"Camera completed Master and MS1. At the end of MS1, the estimated time dropped to 5 minutes. The 5 minute break didn’t help. During the second take in MS2, the camera overheat warning started to flash."

Master and MS1... Apparently these are his made up dialogue scenes. How long were these?

"I was able to finish the second take and shut the camera for two minutes. When I switched on again, the estimated time was 1:00, which is less than the roll time. So I had to stop the test."

Shoot over.

"Overall, the camera was able to shoot for exactly one hour before being on the verge of overheating."

1 hour of on-off short takes and it's dead!

NOBODY can work like this... Not even the French.