Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, Nezza said:

Nah, you and the other canboys just don't like any *entirely valid* criticism of Canon. Canon has made their biggest product launch gaff in recent times and canboys can't bare their beloved Canon being held to account for what Canon has failed to deliver.

Meanwhile consumers are spending thousands of their hard earned on products that aren't fit for purpose. But don't bash beloved Canon - that's the real issue here!

Guess about it? Every single review (even Peter McCanon's) mentions the overheating to some degree. It's entirely fair to criticise Canon for what is a very evident and serious problem. The idea you can't comment unless you physically own an R5 is laughable. It's just canboys that wan't to stop anything negative being said about their beloved.

You have no idea what experience posters here have in filmmaking. None. Also, the basic laws of thermal dynamics are not altered by having IMDB credits.

Nonsense... you don't even read my posts or you wouldn't put me in the same line of any fanboys to praise whatever brand you dislike. How can you comment them then, humm?? : D I am a regular poster on EOSHD since the early beginning, for almost a decade now. What about you? Since last month of July...??

:- D

It's absolutely laughable you infer I am here ignoring this issue or praising them when their commitment clearly doesn't match mine! WOW

It's not difficult to follow the position or experience of someone but for that, you need to read them first.

; )

Last but not least, how old are you? Or you'll omit my question as much as when you mentioned engineer skills as the quality to be entitled to trust Tilta products and I asked about yours? No pun intended.

And you're still lacking any answer to add up there... ; ))

Nonetheless, maybe you know more on basic laws of thermal dynamics than them from Tilta? ;- ]

5 hours ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

Maybe that's the reason why it's only a patent and not a product. I wouldn't want to blow air on the sensor unless there is a HEPA filter in there, which can't be very practical.

Practical engineering is often just logic, and logical arguments should trump academic degrees. A 6 hour cooldown period isn't reasonable, so either there was a flaw in the testing method or in the firmware.

Something completely disgusting is trading places to distort the facts or take the world B&W, bashing people or brands at the distance of a keyboard hidden behind a mouse and an anonymous alias and yet, pretending to believe only one side can offer criticism when it is much easier to see it from eventual adopters/buyers rather than naysayers.

Not you, for sure. But it was not me either to call for credentials or bringing academic degrees to the equation. 

Even before they had released it?!

What the hell a solid accessories supplier such as Tilta would think about all that?

Or their customers? Or do I risk to be insulted and the usual mantra to call me their fanboy? LOL

The same follows for the Canon patent. Welcome that tip on the HEPA filter. That's an example of constructive criticism. Let's not confound the fair criticism all of us are entitled to (especially Canon customers, oh yes) with haters.

We are what we do, words mean too little. This applies to everyone, not this or that user per se.

Filmmakers are used to positively search for solutions, not problems. That's also what basically tells about their experience in less or greater degree.

20 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Nonsense... you don't even read my posts or you wouldn't put me in the same line of any fanboys to praise whatever brand you dislike. How can you comment them then, humm?? : D I am a regular poster on EOSHD since the early beginning, for almost a decade now. What about you? Since last month of July...??

:- D

It's absolutely laughable you infer I am here ignoring this issue or praising them when their commitment clearly doesn't match mine! WOW

It's not difficult to follow the position or experience of someone but for that, you need to read them first.

; )

Last but not least, how old are you? Or you'll omit my question as much as when you mentioned engineer skills as the quality to be entitled to trust Tilta products and I asked about yours? No pun intended.

And you're still lacking any answer to add up there... ; ))

Nonetheless, maybe you know more on basic laws of thermal dynamics than them from Tilta? ;- ]

You're making canboy type comments, you may not like that being pointed out, doesn't stop it being true.

You're also rather keen to state your credentials at every turn. I typically find people that know what they're talking about display that knowledge through what they actually say, rather than having to have a mini CV at the bottom of every post.

You're assuming (because you want to believe there's a silver bullet to Canon's shit show) that the Tilta device will work. People far more experienced in peltier coolers than you have explained why they don't think it will work. You and the other canboys are simply clutching at straws because your beloved Canon has shit the bed in such epic fashion.

• Administrators

With 28 pages to get through, it's tricky enough for people to get the required good info that is nested in this thread.

Please refrain from further argumentative chatting that takes up so much room. No disrespect to any one person but we now have PAGES of it! Not good.

If we are going to continue to fill page after page with opinion soup, the good info is going to get buried and missed by those coming in from Google. And there's a lot of traffic to this post at the moment. Please can we concentrate on informing those people who come to us for help. Thank you.

A new test has come out, which seems to have been written with one eye on the Canon marketing department. Nevertheless it is useful to see more results come in.

https://www.eoshd.com/news/opinion-on-dpreviews-canon-eos-r5-overheating-test-in-4k/

The problem with DPReview's test though is that nobody actually shoots like this, and same goes for Canon's official test.

You are not usually straight into a 30 minute take from cold at start of the day without so much as a few mins in live-view for composition.

And you do not take 30 minute breaks in-between 30 min interview takes.

So I would like to see a proper real-world test that lasts for a day's shoot 3-7 hours.

The camera is turned on in live-view for the duration, with shorter 30 second to 2 min takes recorded throughout that 3-7 hour shooting day.

With no 30 min or 1 hour resting periods.

Let's see how it performs in the REAL world.

For those of us in cooler climates I would like to see a test on a cloudy day, 20c as well.

If anyone actually has a camera and can contribute to this thread in a positive way I'm all for it!

I thought the Dpreview test blurb was odd, on the one hand they say its not intended for video professionals despite Canon's marketing claims. Then he says wedding shooters are one of the the target demographics. Pretty sure most wedding shooters dropping over $4000 on a body (counting CFexpress cards to record top spec video) are getting paid. And there are a ton of wedding videographers that have shot with the 5d's over the years - and this is what Canon calls its mirrorless 5d. Its definitely targeting everyone that's moved over to Sony-land and are now shooting video with cameras like the a73.

To be forced into low quality 4k mode after just taking photos since that also triggers the thermal limits, on top of shelling out that kind of cash was the dealbreaker for me. Add to that the fact the camera drops photo quality too when it gets hot - something all Canon's do, but this one seems to hit that threshold much quicker. I really have to work to get the EOS R to hit that point, but its a deliberate effort, not while on an actual shoot. I've been out in the sun quite a bit with it and haven't had any issues. 

Despite all of the great things the R5 has going for it, its an amazing spec sheet and top spec IQ is fantastic - its a hard pass with those limitations.

Chris

6 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Someone also needs to shoot the R5 while it’s in low quality 4K mode and film a lacy bride’s wedding dress. It’s it moire vomit then it’s not good. 

The beach footage taken by Gordon Laing - where you can't even see sand textures when downscaling from 4K to HD - tells enough.

12 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Ah so that's the solution then. Move to New Zealand where it is currently winter?

And the few countries that got covid under control so most video work/produciton/any business minus tourism is business as usual 😉

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Canon web stores are down

Screenshot 2020-08-04 at 00.29.47.png

I hear the server has overheated... or maybe they are just editing out the EOS R5 pages 😂

I read earlier today that their cloud image backup service has gone down and they have actually lost a lot of user's images.

Smells a lot like a hack and obviously Canon were concerned enough about potential ransomware vulnerabilites in the cameras last year to issue firmware patches so I hope its not related.

Its not exactly going swimmingly for them at the moment is it?