Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

2 hours ago, ntblowz said:

geraldundoneheattestbig.jpg

Saw it from canonrumors

If true is surprising to see that the canon R6 manages to have high quality video recorded to external device for long periods in that 4K 24 version.  The R5 doesn't have any oversampled mode that manages that, in full frame. The R6 with a external recorder manages 4k24 long interviews and concerts it seems, with high quality. 

What's the smallest 4k recorder atm?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, sanveer said:

It's actually a HUGE Shame.

Canon had actually created a sensor for the R5 that has the performance of the class leading benchmark scores and even better. It has way lesser rolling shutter than anything Sony produces in 45MP, has superb dynamic rance, has 12 Stops of dynamic range with Clog 1 (which should go up another 1-1.5 stops with Clog 3), and so many great video frame rates. It also has probably class video autofocus. So for Photography it's a monster. 

But some jackass in Canon decided to keep this the size of a pocket pooch, so that it starts over heating even before one starts rolling. So it's basically unreliable for video. And what's with the dual cards, but you can't use them simultaneously as a backup in case of care failure or some other glitch. Why could Canon have had 2 card card slots and with the capability to record both simultaneously. The terrible mini HDMI can also be overlooked, if these are sorted.

But what a monumental waste of arguably the best sensor in an ILC that has ever been created. Sony probably seems to triple its R&D budget to counter this one. 

Canon should just sell the sensor to Panasonic and let them make magic with it. 

The rolling shutter is super impressive too, blows me away how much better it is compared to Sony's high MP sensors when for years people said Canon would always be behind and Sony would always have the class leading sensors. Someone posted some E-shutter shots of a hummingbird and the wings look really good. Its a great achievement by Canon.

Chris

I may have overlooked it, but I haven't seen a message that the Canon EOS R5 gets very hot on the outside too.
Armando Ferreira says in his video 'The Canon EOS R5 IS NOT AN 8K CAMERA!': When the camera (R5) says it is overheated, I touch the camera, it is pretty much cool to the touch!
Does this not indicate badly calibrated heat sensors or an incorrect reading by the firmware? Or a combination of both?

1 hour ago, gingercat said:

Apparently some Sony and Fuji camera models overheat in certain conditions also. Are we going to have a meltdown over those as well?

Cameras overheating is not new.

Canon hyping the shit out of the high end video capabilities then delivering a product that it overheats soo rapidly in those hyped high end modes and recovers soo slowly is unprecedented. The criticism of Canon is entirely valid.  

4 hours ago, sanveer said:

The sensor already has AF points (/pixels) on it. So Panasonic doesn't really have to re-invent the wheel.

The recording limitations the inability to cool down. They should set the recording limitation by way of firmware instead of trying to cripple by keeping all components too close go each other, and have no heat sink of any kind. 

I think we know why the R5 weights about the same as the GH5...clearly the GH5 has a proper heatsink in it. The R5 has a bigger sensor, IBIS, bigger body, made out of the same material...I would put money down on what’s missing...

2 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

The rolling shutter is super impressive too, blows me away how much better it is compared to Sony's high MP sensors when for years people said Canon would always be behind and Sony would always have the class leading sensors. Someone posted some E-shutter shots of a hummingbird and the wings look really good. Its a great achievement by Canon.

I agree. Sony suddenly does have the great leap it did, in dynamic range either. Hopefully it puts intense pressure on Sony to improve the next generation of Image Sensors, espefor ILCs to perform even  better. 

1 minute ago, Video Hummus said:

I think we know why the R5 weights about the same as the GH5...clearly the GH5 has a proper heatsink in it. The R5 has a bigger sensor, IBIS, bigger body, made out of the same material...I would put money down on what’s missing...

Canon tried to do a Sony. There wasn't any need to make small FF cameras. Especially if they handicapped performance so greatly. 

8 minutes ago, gingercat said:

Some are behaving like they're being forced to buy something they don't want. 

And there are many more like myseld that would have purchased the R5 and R6 and been happy with it, but won't because of the overheating issue.  

I prefer Canon over Sony, but from what I've seen, the Sony is the more reliable.  I'm not talking so much about shutting down from heat, but how long it takes to recover after it does.  Its this aspect that concerns people and the fact that just switching it on and taking photos can limit recording.  When evidence exists to suggest the A7sIII has the same problem, then I will expect the same reaction.  

Sony users are use to overheating in their cameras.  For Canon this is new territory.

43 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

This is what is upsetting. Not the overheating but the recover timer. It’s unusable.

I can't remember what reviewer mentioned that they were amazed that after the camera cooled down to the point that the body didn't feel hot any more that their record times were still severely hampered. It does make you wonder if Canon's firmware is designed to purposely cripple this camera. I usually don't buy into conspiracy theories but one does have to wonder with Canon's history of intentionally crippling cameras.

10 minutes ago, gingercat said:

You're upset about a product you have no intention of buying? Bigger things going on in the world to get upset about IMO.

Not buying now. Was going to before this. We are on a camera forum. Certainly there is many things to be upset about in the world today. Doesn’t mean I have to ruin other aspects because of it.

1 hour ago, gingercat said:

And which camera company doesn't hype their new products?  

Here's Canon's problem. They didn't meet their own hype. They missed it by a mile. In fact, I'd go as far as saying their launch advertising is downright misleading. Deliberately so because they obviously knew the limitations - they designed them. This doesn't appear to be an issue for you. Classic canboyism.

If someone spends 4K without doing a little research to ascertain if a product will suit his/her requirements they're either rich or not too bright. There's a ton of technical information readily available online to make an informed choice. Some are behaving like they're being forced to buy something they don't want.  

You're giving Canon a complete free pass. You're inferring it's not the camera company's responsibility to deliver what they actually promise. Classic canboyism.

57 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Yes many of us were interested before this heat problem 

I'd have pushed the button on an R6 if it'd actually delivered. I know I'm not alone.

As others have said on here, people are primarily disappointed with Canon. The canboy's falsely accuse people of hate. Not so.