Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

20 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Damn, on the DR side - much like the 1dx3 - Canon has clearly caught Sony with the R5. Its now at the head of the class with Sony's best. That extra stop advantage Sony had is no more...

Chris

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 8.04.03 PM.png

Yeah it does seem to have caught up.

Just be careful accepting Photons to photos at face value.

Some serious photographer/scientists on DPR have issues with how Bill Claff comes to his settings ...Something about using what the manufacturers use as the setting for their cameras (so a Canon camera is using Canons. ISO and comparing it with (say) a Sony camera and what Sony uses) so not necessarially apple to apples.      That and what is acceptable DR is a bit subjective.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, hoodlum said:

Some more details from the manual.  It looks like IQ of images are reduced first before it gets to the point of total shutdown.  I suspect reviewers are not realizing this.

This is nothing new.  My 5DsR has something similar in its manual.

2 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Damn, on the DR side - much like the 1dx3 - Canon has clearly caught Sony with the R5. Its now at the head of the class with Sony's best. That extra stop advantage Sony had is no more...

Chris

Looks like Canon made a marketing mistake, focusing on video specs - where the camera clearly has some drawbacks. As a stills camera it looks to be very impressive indeed.

On 7/25/2020 at 10:49 AM, SteveV4D said:

Actually, a camera this size and price, shooting 4K 120fps fullframe 10 bit 422 continously without overheating is unheard of.  Probably because it is impossible without making it slightly bigger and incorporating a fan.  

I'm sure the R5s unique features will be matched by competitors eventually, maybe as soon as next year; and will probably be more reliable and useful as well.  Theres always a price for early adopters.  

What's the point of innovation if many of us can't use it practically?

Exactly!  Weather sealed form factor not suitable for high quality capture.  

On 7/25/2020 at 11:57 AM, Cassius McGowan said:

You forgot a BMPCC 4k & 6K. They won't overheat. 

Are they weather sealed?  

On 7/25/2020 at 8:56 AM, Andrew Reid said:

https://www.eoshd.com/opinion/opinion-canon-r6-and-r5-heat-problems-risk-full-product-recall-class-action-lawsuit/

Looking at the internal circuit layout, it's amazing how many hot components Canon put close together.

CFExpress media is almost backed into the image processor.

The image processor is surrounded on both sides by what appears to be RAM.

Behind that circuit board is the warm LCD backlighting when flush to the body.

In front of the circuit is the warm sensor.

There is literally nowhere for all the heat to go and worst of all it is centrally concentrated on the most thermally critical piece, the DIGIC X CPU in the centre.

Without even a thin copper heat sink or slim heat pipe (like in a high end smartphone), there is no way of guiding the heat away from the critical components like the CPU.

It really is no surprise then, if the camera is borderline defective.

EOS-R5-DIGIC-X.jpg

I agree, should have some sinks there to mitigate.  It would have made a dent in the short record times however, the weather sealed form factor combined with Digic X still not conducive for intensive processing.   Put your computer in a plastic bag with no active cooling, only sinks and see how far you get.  

1 hour ago, gingercat said:

Why don't you post something you've created that shows us how qualified you are to dismiss others efforts.

I am not a loner cowboy. Last time I checked the film crews I've participated we had created a few dozens I've produced, among other stuff where I try my best. If you'll follow my signature or even my posts, you'll find what you're looking for.

I see where you're coming from but you ask without any business card?

This is a random triple portion of mine:

Where are yours BTW?

30 minutes ago, Dioniso said:

All blogger and YouTubers are really happy about the R5 because they can do non stop click bite articles for months.

Great, more rubbish polluting the Internet.  So that's another reason to dislike the R5.  

3 hours ago, Jtdiddy said:

I'm ready to buy a flagship mirrorless camera but: 

Canon R5:  Overheating problems,

Sony As7iii:  12 mp sensor (LOL); 

Panasonic SH1:  Autofocus sucks

Can't these guys work together and just make the perfect camera? 

FML...

Well that’s not going to happen but the question why every one of them seems to have failed in one area or another is the 64 million dollar question.

I have a feeling the Nikon Z6s will probably be that ‘one’ other than for folks prejudiced against Nikon.

Or an XH2 if they don’t cock it up, though some will cry, “but it’s not full frame”.

Neither have cinema lines to protect unlike the other 3 so can really pull out all the stops in the video department yet not neglect the stills side.

If you have the time...as many of us currently do, then those are the two spaces to be watching with most interest.

46 minutes ago, Dioniso said:

All blogger and YouTubers are really happy about the R5 because they can do non stop click bite articles for months.

My tiny participation after seeing so much talk about overheating from people who never touched the camera.

The winner is one blogger who have a body on his hand for the entire video which he have to blur cause he don't have the R5.
Still he is using it as a "prep".😅😅

Just got my ranking up by talking about a complete invention of my mind.
"Canon R5 Overheating issue [FIXED] : SLFA-R5"
Google for more!

7 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Chris

It's actually a HUGE Shame.

Canon had actually created a sensor for the R5 that has the performance of the class leading benchmark scores and even better. It has way lesser rolling shutter than anything Sony produces in 45MP, has superb dynamic rance, has 12 Stops of dynamic range with Clog 1 (which should go up another 1-1.5 stops with Clog 3), and so many great video frame rates. It also has probably class video autofocus. So for Photography it's a monster. 

But some jackass in Canon decided to keep this the size of a pocket pooch, so that it starts over heating even before one starts rolling. So it's basically unreliable for video. And what's with the dual cards, but you can't use them simultaneously as a backup in case of care failure or some other glitch. Why could Canon have had 2 card card slots and with the capability to record both simultaneously. The terrible mini HDMI can also be overlooked, if these are sorted.

But what a monumental waste of arguably the best sensor in an ILC that has ever been created. Sony probably seems to triple its R&D budget to counter this one. 

Canon should just sell the sensor to Panasonic and let them make magic with it. 

23 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Canon should just sell the sensor to Panasonic and let them make magic with it. 

So we can get the worst AF in the industry? Thanks but no thanks. 
Canon should just put a passive cooling system à la A7S which is much easier for them to do than for Panasonic to have a great AF. 

Unfortunately for some weird reasons Canon decided not to cool the R5. Pretty sure someone at top management said « well at least that recording limitation will differentiate with our Cinema line. »

8 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

So we can get the worst AF in the industry? Thanks but no thanks. 
Canon should just put a passive cooling system à la A7S which is much easier for them to do than for Panasonic to have a great AF. 

The sensor already has AF points (/pixels) on it. So Panasonic doesn't really have to re-invent the wheel.

The recording limitations the inability to cool down. They should set the recording limitation by way of firmware instead of trying to cripple by keeping all components too close go each other, and have no heat sink of any kind.