Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

LOL This is a real user's experience from real world... :- )

Yes, he purchased it to USE and as he says, he may have to go back to a 5Div but is hopeful they will fix it somehow.

Even that latest DPR video has Jordan talking about his FRIENDs (Gerald Undone) test and seems to have come around almost exactly to Andrews points (while toned down slightly but still the same nonetheless).

PHOTOGRAPHERS love it, more serious and pro VIDEO users are increasingly saying they love what it CAN do but the overheating just renders it either unusable for them or nearly so.

On 7/31/2020 at 9:46 AM, SteveV4D said:

Build a new model, an R5s for example.  Panasonic did something similar as their S1H differed from the S1 body, and put video centre.  Canon need a body that puts video first.  With the R5, the video specs features heavily in their marketing, but the R5 doesn't match what they say on their website-

"The EOS R5 uncompromising performance will revolutionise your photography and filmmaking."

No it doesn't.... 

I get where you are going with this.... and just to be clear if any big brand company is actually reading this.... We don't need a video-centric camera.... and I'm sure everyone here will agree... most of us want a camera that does both photography and video equally as well (why carry around 2 cameras??? If you're on vacation and can only carry around 1 camera and 2 lenses... you would understand this). The S1H is near perfect solution - the size and auto-focus is the only things that are missing - a lot of the times, I tell myself.... if I get the S1H and start producing something for fun that may end up at a festival - cool.... but on those other times where I hand it over to my wife to take some birthday pics.... all them pictures may end up fucked up.

The only camera that does that right now.... is the XT-4 but is it bringing the absolute best for what the sensor resolution has.... ???

Most of us don't need 8K.... This is very true..... and even if we absolutely need it, we can upscale. But, dare I say.... just for some future-proofing.... if a company comes out with 6K/60p on a 24MP camera (AF, Eye-AF, DR, all there in both video and photography)..... plus obviously 4K/120p..... throw in that 10 bit log and RAW and I'm golden. Lets hope Fuji is listening and the X-H2 is that!!!

44 minutes ago, mkabi said:

The only camera that does that right now.... is the XT-4 but is it bringing the absolute best for what the sensor resolution has.... ??

I really want them to find a way to crank more dynamic range out of their sensors. Maybe they just need RAW recording. Although I have to say I think the S1/S1H/Z6 type sensor seems to be the way to go. Just compared my S1 to my URSA 4.6k DNG and their dynamic range is about the same, or very very close. Where the S1 definitely came out ahead was the shadows. The noise on the URSA gets really ugly. 

Well, this is what happens if you stop using the "cripple hammer" people often complained about, and simply offer what the hardware can do.

12 FPS H+ mode with mechanical shutter is also severely limited, check out page 452 of the manual.
In most instances, the camera will deliver between 7 and 10 FPS.

From a developer's point of view, Canon has included features once only available with hacked firmware like Magic Lantern. This is one of the factors that allowed the leap forward in performance.

Personally I like this, because there are no arbitrary limits, but it is different from what people are used to from this manufacturer.

11 minutes ago, Enjay said:

Well, this is what happens if you stop using the "cripple hammer" people often complained about, and simply offer what the hardware can do.

(...)

Personally I like this, because there are no arbitrary limits, but it is different from what people are used to from this manufacturer.

Nah, there are obviously limits they impose either at zero care for proper heat dissipation or not letting the full camera capability extend it to their own boundaries.

Go a few posts back in this same page and follow the video report I posted (for some reason I did it), before to start inferring anything.

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

If only Gerald had put this much effort into testing the as7iii instead of waste his time on a camera that is not fit for purpose. 

LOL. Are you implying he shouldn't have bothered?

• Administrators
1 hour ago, hoodlum said:

Some more details from the manual.  It looks like IQ of images are reduced first before it gets to the point of total shutdown.  I suspect reviewers are not realizing this.

Heat increases sensor noise in the image.

It is the reason camera mods for astrophotography exist...

s-l1600.jpg

21 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Nah, there are obviously limits they impose either at zero care for proper heat dissipation or not letting the full camera capability extend it to their own boundaries.

The Canon I used to know since I bought my 350D in 2005 would not have included the "overheating" video modes or the H+ 12 FPS mode at all. Especially H+ is clearly a prototype style feature they would have omitted because it only works under very specific conditions.