Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Super8 said:

Why is Canon being given a harder time about over heating compared to Sony overheating and color issues?  This does not seem fair and not sure why the mob mentality has taken over? 

I assume it's because it seems to happen under specific conditions on the Sony, as opposed to Canon where it can happen by just turning it on. 

Either way, overheating cameras are unacceptable. People need to stop accepting them. 

Panasonic's auto focus isn't prefect, but they've never overheated on me during a 6 hour shoot in a 100+ degree venue filled with hundreds of people in the middle of July. That's the kind of dependability I am looking for and is the one thing I'm not willing to overlook personally. 

6 hours ago, mechanicalEYE said:

So a lot of people maybe wondering about the heat issue with the 8K RAW recording. Right now, Australia is in winter. So after a full day of 8K shooting. The camera didn’t have any overheating issue at all. Not even a heat icon pop up. I guess I will wait until summer and find that out again.

So he can shoot 8K all day in Australia winter without getting overheating icon, and Australia winter is not that cold..

5 hours ago, Super8 said:

Why is Canon being given a harder time about over heating compared to Sony overheating and color issues?  This does not seem fair and not sure why the mob mentality has taken over? 

Hardly a free pass (plenty of comments on it) and it took a lot more evidence than we have had so far on Sony for some to acknowledge the problem with thebR5 and R6.  Even Andrews article didn't convince some.  Only with Canon announcing it themselves and more recent reports of overheating have the fanboys finally seen reason.

Besides, Sony overheating in their cameras is hardly news, compared to Canon, which have always been praised for their reliability.  And the A7sIII hasn't been hyped up for months with talk of 8K and 120fps 4K..  Canon have much to blame for this reaction.  Even now there's confusion over the release of this camera.  Their marketing feels like a fiasco.

Yeah but it still feels like a free pass because a majority of the media is saying « A7S3 NEVER OVERHEATS » including the leaked sponsored B&H promo video.

At least with the Canons, even brand ambassador Peter McKinnon talked about overheating in his sponsored video and Canon themselves published a detailed overheating chart.

Sony per usual haven’t done that. Actually they claim you can shoot until you’re media card fills up or battery dies, which is a sneaky way to not admit overheating yet covering themselves legally.

What is extremely strange is that in that one Florida sunlight test, the A7S3 shut down before the R5 and was measured a couple degrees hotter too. So is Canon being conservative with the overheating or is the Sony just not dissipating heat as well in that particular condition ?

So many unknowns, it’s frustrating.

I was interested in both cams but will probably sit this round out. Looks like the spec race has gone too far and this first gen of 4K120p cams just isn’t there yet as far as reliability..

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

So he can shoot 8K all day in Australia winter without getting overheating icon, and Australia winter is not that cold..

I think its about 10 to 17 degrees Celsius in Auatralia, depending where he is based; so being less than the 23 Celsius guides Canon gave, I would expect more than 20 minutes shooting.  He probably shot about 20 mins of footage based on his 512gb of data for the total shoot.  Assuming his camera was off between shots for a lengthy period as he was shooting all day, I can see how easily he would avoid overheating.

10 minutes ago, Django said:

Yeah but it still feels like a free pass because a majority of the media is saying « A7S3 NEVER OVERHEATS » including the leaked sponsored B&H promo video.

The problem with identifying overheating with cameras is that it doesn't always overheat and if it doesn't, its not seen as a problem.  There were some vloggers and reporters who downplayed the problem with the R5 at first or even dismissed it and even now some say it is overhyped.  Maybe it is.  

The Fuji XT-4 is also known to overheat, and yet this doesn't get the same reaction as Canon.  On the GH5 Facebook forum, one user reported recently their GH5 overheated on one job.   Which I've never had.  Again, a one off issue, a faulty unit, or maybe my GH5 would have reacted in the same way in the right conditions.  Who can say.. 

Everyone goes on about that one Florida video for the Sony.  So its hard to see if this is a common issue or an intermittent one brought on by certain circumstances.  Canon has had a few weeks since the official announcement for this story to have built up.  Maybe in 2 weeks, everyone will be attacking Sony for overheating and the problem will be taken more seriously. 

7 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

Everyone goes on about that one Florida video for the Sony.  So its hard to see if this is a common issue or an intermittent one brought on by certain circumstances.  Canon has had a few weeks since the official announcement for this story to have built up.  Maybe in 2 weeks, everyone will be attacking Sony for overheating and the problem will be taken more seriously. 

The Hugh Brownstone where he says the camera overheated and wouldn't recommend for pro work over the gh5.

24 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

I think its about 10 to 17 degrees Celsius in Auatralia, depending where he is based; so being less than the 23 Celsius guides Canon gave, I would expect more than 20 minutes shooting.  He probably shot about 20 mins of footage based on his 512gb of data for the total shoot.  Assuming his camera was off between shots for a lengthy period as he was shooting all day, I can see how easily he would avoid overheating.

He had cine glass on it as well for one shot, so no autofocus, and presumably turned off ibis. 

The rabid canboys on here need to put down that reefer and get with the real world.

The R5/6 have serious over heating issues as *multiple* sources have confirmed. Soo much soo Canon has heavily limited the stock they've sent out so any recall won't be as bad.

But if you listen to the canboy's it's as if none of this has happened, soo drunk on the Canon kool aid. This rampant fanboyism is dangerous because it gives prospective purchasers incredibly bad 'info' that could lead to them making a multi thousand dollar mistake.

The Sony doesn't overheat as badly as the Canon's and that drives the canboys nuts as it shows what a dud they've slavishly backed. The idea the Sony overheats has been ignored by the media is again, completely ludicrous. Canboys exist in a parallel universe.

"Oh, we found one person on the internet that doesn't like the Sony!" Desperate, pathetic stuff.

I'd suggest the canboys would be better off in the dpreview Canon forum where their views fit right in with that particular echo chamber.

5 hours ago, kaylee said:

he S1H is looking better and better to me all the time... 🤔

This camera is so underrated. Besides the continuous AF that's not as good as the competition it offers everything. Yeah the 4k60p is cropped... Of course it can not do 4k120p....

But it works. Never let you down, offers stellar image quality and really good color science, doubles as a professional photographic tool, has all the features for professional video (waveform, spot luminance for vlog, the choice to put your lens in linear or non linear focusing, and so on). It offers 6k and ProRes RAW. It's a workhorse. 

Very underrated. 

1 hour ago, Trankilstef said:

This camera is so underrated. Besides the continuous AF that's not as good as the competition it offers everything. Yeah the 4k60p is cropped... Of course it can not do 4k120p....

But it works. Never let you down, offers stellar image quality and really good color science, doubles as a professional photographic tool, has all the features for professional video (waveform, spot luminance for vlog, the choice to put your lens in linear or non linear focusing, and so on). It offers 6k and ProRes RAW. It's a workhorse. 

Very underrated. 

What about editing, the R5 is horrible to edit at this point, havent tried the A7S III, but guess it wont be sweet. But what about editing S1H files, are they smooth to edit? I dont want to mess around with proxies. 

9 minutes ago, Nezza said:

This years essential R5 accessory - get it now for the hottest camera of the year! 

IMG_20200730_105141.jpg

Another amazing contribution with a lot of technical details.... 

21 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

What about editing, the R5 is horrible to edit at this point, havent tried the A7S III, but guess it wont be sweet. But what about editing S1H files, are they smooth to edit? I dont want to mess around with proxies. 

I have created a thread on Resolve and canon RAW + h265 with some explanation of the issue and perf examples.   @Nezza is doing the same of A7S with tons of details and useful info 🤣

3 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Another amazing contribution with a lot of technical details.... 

You don't like your blatant canboyism pointed out - we get it!

You never did let us know how the drilling of the R5 went. Have you ordered your gloves yet?

27 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Depends on your computer. I have a good machine and it edits the h265 files from the S1H quite easily, not choppy at all but the fans can go wild sometimes. 

So not a problem for me but  sometimes on bigger shoots I use an atomos Ninja V so it's easier to edit cause of the ProRes files. 

You should download some S1H h265 files to play with and do your own conclusions. 

I believe the fundamental issue in the Canon's overheating is a combination of using H265 and Canon's reliance on their old in house nm silicon production.

Without custom chips H265 is a real CPU hurter. Encoding 8K or high FR 4K in H265 really stresses the camera CPU, this combined with old, less power efficient nm fabrication is whats causing the overheating. 

Which means a firmware update ain't going to fix what are much more fundamental issues. Although the canboys think Canon can just push out a firmware update and all will be well. Delusional!

16 minutes ago, Nezza said:

I believe the fundamental issue in the Canon's overheating is a combination of using H265 and Canon's reliance on their old in house nm silicon production.

Without custom chips H265 is a real CPU hurter. Encoding 8K or high FR 4K in H265 really stresses the camera CPU, this combined with old, less power efficient nm fabrication is whats causing the overheating. 

Of course h265 is done on the cpu and not on a dedicated h265 hw encoder in a camera😂😂...... just for your info an 8 core i9 10980 cannot do 4k h265 10 bit realtime encoding so saying that canon is not using a hw encoder for 8k in a small camera proves your know how. 

Sorry I was wrong you should go back and posting gloves and trolling at least you don’t spread fake informations......

Ok this is all getting a little silly on both sides. Get a room fellas...

I think the problem for Canon is that the R5 overheats in all its decent video quality modes and am not sure how firmware is going to change that too much. The reason Sony is not getting so much flack is that it is mainly in 4k50 where it has shown it can overheat, all other modes seem to be ok which makes it while not ideal a much more useful video camera. They still both should have learnt from Panasonic though  about how to deal with heat management rather than try to squeeze it all into a little box. I really hope this isn't the future and we just have to put up with unreliable cameras as they try and push specs we don't really need on us

The R5 is definitely a great photo camera and that is why it will still sell presuming it doesn't overheat in that mode too. (even if they don't sort out the video side of it)