Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Nautical said:

For anyone interested, someone finally pointed me to a video showing the 1.6x crop mode footage.  To me it looks very sharp and detailed.   It is at around the 2:14 minute mark.  If  you look at the regular 4k mode before it there is a big difference in the pixelation of the street lights.    Canon's heat sheet claims this mode does not overheat.  So unlike the R you get IBIS and 10 bit internal, and maybe a little bit better autofocus in this mode.   Not ideal for the price, but at least there is a decent 4k mode for longer record times.

Thanks, was looking for this. I'm interested again!

What would happen if you put that speed booster on the R5? Is the crop similar to the Eos R?

I use the Metabones EF to R 4K Speedbooster on the EOS R and you can do some pretty interesting things with it in 1080 and older Gold Ring Canon EF lenses. Shooting 1080 with these lenses you get a wider image circle of the lense so in this example the EF 85 1.8 becomes a 60ish 1.2 with swirly edges kinda anamorphic - like.  With stabilization enabled the image is cropped enough to almost cut out ll the vignetting in 2.4:1. Most of the shots in this video I didn't crop out the vignetting.

I've been experimenting with the R in 4k since the release of the R5 and with the Speedbooster and stabilization on enhanced and these Gold Ring lenses you get a very reasonable 4k 24p - gimbal-liked stabilized image. Will be very interesting to experiment with the 4K Speedbooster in this 1.6 crop mode in the above Chinese video.

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

it is 1.6x so slightly less than eos r's 1.74x

Yes, I  am not good at sensor math, but I believe it would be around 1.15 to 1.17 crop--- something in that ballpark.   The speed booster is my game plan when the 4k HQ has stopped working.  With the speed booster you will get close to a full frame look while still having sharp 4k, 10 bit internal, IBIS, great autofocus, Canon colors and no heat problems (in theory).  

I  still wished Canon did this right with better heat design (or any heat design at all it seems), but I can live with this solution for now.  

22 minutes ago, alanpoiuyt said:

I use the Metabones EF to R 4K Speedbooster on the EOS R and you can do some pretty interesting things with it in 1080 and older Gold Ring Canon EF lenses. Shooting 1080 with these lenses you get a wider image circle of the lense so in this example the EF 85 1.8 becomes a 60ish 1.2 with swirly edges kinda anamorphic - like.  With stabilization enabled the image is cropped enough to almost cut out ll the vignetting in 2.4:1. Most of the shots in this video I didn't crop out the vignetting.

I've been experimenting with the R in 4k since the release of the R5 and with the Speedbooster and stabilization on enhanced and these Gold Ring lenses you get a very reasonable 4k 24p - gimbal-liked stabilized image. Will be very interesting to experiment with the 4K Speedbooster in this 1.6 crop mode in the above Chinese video.

Interesting idea, it does feel a little anamorphic.  Cool look.  

• Administrators

Petapixel have pulled together both Canon Rumors and my remarks at EOSHD in their piece on the shipments delay.

https://petapixel.com/2020/07/30/canon-is-delaying-eos-r5-shipments-due-to-overheating-concerns-report/

I did not read the Canon Rumors post before writing my article so it is interesting that two separate sources are both effectively saying the same thing.

Adorama in particular seems to be saying the same thing as the stores I asked in Berlin!

33 minutes ago, alanpoiuyt said:

I have the 35mm RF and seems the same.

Nice to know, I hate to swap formats and throw away my lenses collection. Really.

Counting with the same performance as with native Canon R mount glass means I can only focus on the price for body + accessories.

Lenses should not be included in the same pack. They are the pyramid's platform. Looks like most part of posters here tend to forget it.

Once overheating will be under control or more news how to handle a workaround will pop up around, I see this camera as the best current offer to fit my needs and liking.

Seems pretty clear to me that this 5.1K option route will put this device in some upper degree, in point of fact.

Isn't it in behalf of this we are using a camera forum to exchange ideas and information we can adapt for our shooter's life? ; )

15 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Petapixel have pulled together both Canon Rumors and my remarks at EOSHD in their piece on the shipments delay.

https://petapixel.com/2020/07/30/canon-is-delaying-eos-r5-shipments-due-to-overheating-concerns-report/

I did not read the Canon Rumors post before writing my article so it is interesting that two separate sources are both effectively saying the same thing.

Adorama in particular seems to be saying the same thing as the stores I asked in Berlin!

If “multiple solutions” or “a full statement and plan in the coming weeks” will kill the fair overheating concerns, who won't try to have one?

I predict this camera can be as much revolutionary as 5DII was a decade ago. We also had to wait until no more workarounds were necessary along that late 2008 and early 2009, even though, much easier from a mere firmware update then, it finally happened:

image.png

15 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I think thats great.... Canon is taking accountability for their machines.

Too bad people have to wait... but come on.... why even order straight out the gate.... whatever....

• Administrators

Well I finally watched it. Lost a few mins of my life.

He's so incorrect on so many levels.

Blames the HDMI output on 8K overheating.

Then says it's a damn good 4K camera!

As we know from other tests the external recording can increase 4K recording times, taking load off the image processor.

If he'd used 4K internal recording, who knows what problems he would have.

He isn't even honest in the video whether he shot 4K HQ or 4K pixel binned.

Tries to gloss over it and pin it as an 8K only problem.

Not even realising the sensor is doing 8K in the 4K HQ mode.

There are other inaccuracies and dumb comments but those are the main things I noticed skipping through.

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, mkabi said:

I think thats great.... Canon is taking accountability for their machines.

They better do.

But let's be honest here, Canon is not your friend or mine.

What they care about is the dividend, profit, shareholders and maximising all 3.

Why is Canon being given a harder time about over heating compared to Sony overheating and color issues?  This does not seem fair and not sure why the mob mentality has taken over? 

Nikon got crushed for 1 card slot,  Panasonic for bad AF,  Canon for the cripple hammer but Sony gets a pass for overheating in the sun and bad color science that needs profiles and Resolve to fix?

I need to buy a camera for an up coming Neflix pitch.   I would love to get the S1H and be done with it.  My only concern with the S1H is color depth.

52 minutes ago, Super8 said:

Neflix pitch

good luck on your pitch. I'm working on a pilot/bible right now... not even sure how to reach out to them? do I need an agent/etc? feel free to pm me lol

the S1H is looking better and better to me all the time... 🤔