Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
40 minutes ago, Nezza said:

Further rumours camera stores have only been getting 20-30% of their orders fulfilled. Canon minimising the number they may have to recall. 

If I were Canon I'd be beefing up the their legal team.

Great job Canon!

Here's some news I had from asking around retailers today.

Some shipments had arrived last week in very small quantities. Today and tomorrow were meant to be the days they pass them onto the first people who pre-ordered.

The entire country of Germany, 83 million people received 70 units from Canon in Japan.

The pre-order waiting list for just one store in Berlin was nearly 300 cameras.

The biggest retailer I spoke to said they would not be getting 'any R5 until October earliest due to bugs'.

When pressed further, he said the chain were unhappy at the reliability of the camera and the fact that Canon had asked the chain (largest electronic chain in Europe) to sign a new contract of incredible complexity and length, which has to be checked and will also result in weeks of delays. That the store was extremely unhappy with Canon and that they 'were going the way of Olympus if they keep up this behaviour'.

Another store had received just 5 units. This was the largest photographic retailer store in the capital of Germany.

It is extremely unusual to receive so few shipments of such a big, popular release.

Not sure what the situation is like back home in the UK.

Probably similar.

I think the recall is on and will be announced next week.

2 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Is there a link to that footage, would like to see if it is usable.

Check out Northrup's initial review - he compares the various levels. Multiple reviews have said it's poor, definitely not 'good enough'. 

10 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

When pressed further, he said the chain were unhappy at the reliability of the camera and the fact that Canon had asked the chain (largest electronic chain in Europe) to sign a new contract of incredible complexity and length, which has to be checked and will also result in weeks of delays. That the store was extremely unhappy with Canon and that they 'were going the way of Olympus if they keep up this behaviour'.

This is the thing, the stores won't want to touch them because they are the first people unhappy customers will turn to to give a hard time.

Unhappy dealer network as a result. This is a fail for Canon on many levels.

58 minutes ago, luizhmgoncalves said:

At least it seems 4k all-i works without overheating, but he doesn't test if to show for how much time.

But 8k overheating even without recording, that's terrible.

Funny how his tune changed after mocking people for being concerned about overheating? 

So somehow the product defects were not caught in the final design and usage stage at Canon? Nope not buying it. They thought they could release this as is and get away with it. It didn’t work.

You literally just need to turn the camera on and do absolutely nothing and see the overheating problem!

Apparently Canon doesn’t  even use their own cameras.

They are probably desperately going back to one of the prototypes that incorporated proper heat management and then silently getting that camera into production.

Further, the existence of that stupid Tilta cooling monstrosity tells us that Tilta at least knew about the overheating and designed a product for it. And they did it before the camera was even released! How long does it usually take to design something like that. 3 months minimum from conception to design to prototype to finalizing parts manufacturing. Probably longer. Something smells.

Maybe the Tilts company was set up by a bunch of Canon R5 engineers?

I said yesterday that drilling a few holes in the R5 might help and if you are not going to use it in situations that need weather sealing if you MUST have the camera now, it might help.

My other suggestion that a R5 ii could have a weather sealed door that could be opened up could come true fairly soon.

2 minutes ago, noone said:

I said yesterday that drilling a few holes in the R5 might help

That made me chuckle... I assume you're kidding; clearly the idea of drilling holes in a £4k camera just on the off chance it may help, would be an act of desperation crossed with madness.

18 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Further, the existence of that stupid Tilta cooling monstrosity tells us that Tilta at least knew about the overheating and designed a product for it. And they did it before the camera was even released! How long does it usually take to design something like that. 3 months minimum from conception to design to prototype to finalizing parts manufacturing. Probably longer. Something smells.

They were very quick of the mark with a custom built fan, so definitely they knew.  Question is how?  Did Canon give them the heads up?  I can't see how else they would know and have one designed for the R5 body..  Maybe Canon saw this has something to pacify the video shooters when it became clear how bad the issue was.  All feels a bit dodgy to me.  

If Canon do recall the R5 and R6, the forums are going to go crazy.  We'll be seeing Hitler and laughing Spanish guy videos every day. 

1 minute ago, SteveV4D said:

They were very quick of the mark with a custom built fan, so definitely they knew.  Question is how?  Did Canon give them the heads up?  I can't see how else they would know and have one designed for the R5 body..  Maybe Canon saw this has something to pacify the video shooters when it became clear how bad the issue was.  All feels a bit dodgy to me.  

If Canon do recall the R5 and R6, the forums are going to go crazy.  We'll be seeing Hitler and laughing Spanish guy videos every day. 

If it's really the case that there's inadequate heatsinks and poor/no/badly-applied thermal compound, then why didn't they just sort that out? Can't believe they'd do a deliberate crippling like that.

3 minutes ago, TheBoogieKnight said:

If it's really the case that there's inadequate heatsinks and poor/no/badly-applied thermal compound, then why didn't they just sort that out? Can't believe they'd do a deliberate crippling like that.

You can't believe Canon would cripple their cameras when it comes to video functions.... On the contrary, they are where they are today because of it.

On 7/29/2020 at 3:24 AM, Andrew Reid said:

There is the Metabones EF-R mount Speed Booster which could be interesting on the EOS R5 in crop mode.

For anyone interested, someone finally pointed me to a video showing the 1.6x crop mode footage.  To me it looks very sharp and detailed.   It is at around the 2:14 minute mark.  If  you look at the regular 4k mode before it there is a big difference in the pixelation of the street lights.    Canon's heat sheet claims this mode does not overheat.  So unlike the R you get IBIS and 10 bit internal, and maybe a little bit better autofocus in this mode.   Not ideal for the price, but at least there is a decent 4k mode for longer record times.

53 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

That made me chuckle... I assume you're kidding; clearly the idea of drilling holes in a £4k camera just on the off chance it may help, would be an act of desperation crossed with madness.

Yeah I was kidding about drilling holes yesterday but not about the mark ii should have a weather sealed door to open up (and the larger the better).

Today though, the more I think about it IF (big IF and would not be me) you MUST have the camera NOW as it is AND you do not need the weather sealing then I think it might be a thing.

Would not be many people that would want to do that I would think but maybe for use as a hollywood 8k  crash cam?    I am sure there would be some that would be wealthy enough to try it and not bat an eyelid.