Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I’m also quite skeptical about external cooling device.... without any test or data is a nice 3d rendering.... thats it.

Canon should do a R5v (v for video or vented😀) all the same but on sh1 body stile add the classical 1k usd.....

DpReview has become a battleground for Sony and Canon users..  There are extremists on both sides.  I feel Canon users are quicker to see that overheating is a potential problem with the A7s III after one video, whereas even articles by Andrew and a few early test videos failed to fully convince some here that the R5 and R6 had a problem there.  Only after Canon acknowledging the issue and numerous other reports did finally the proverbial nail drop for some supporters.

It will be intesting to see when these cameras become available to users whether all these arguments are actually justified.  The Sony A7sIII appears the early winner for reliability, which is a shame as I don't have much time for Sony cameras and the Colour, IBIS and AF is a lot better on Canon.  Another reason to hate 2020.  

11 minutes ago, SteveV4D said:

DpReview has become a battleground for Sony and Canon users..  There are extremists on both sides.  I feel Canon users are quicker to see that overheating is a potential problem with the A7s III after one video, whereas even articles by Andrew and a few early test videos failed to fully convince some here that the R5 and R6 had a problem there.  Only after Canon acknowledging the issue and numerous other reports did finally the proverbial nail drop for some supporters.

It will be intesting to see when these cameras become available to users whether all these arguments are actually justified.  The Sony A7sIII appears the early winner for reliability, which is a shame as I don't have much time for Sony cameras and the Colour, IBIS and AF is a lot better on Canon.  Another reason to hate 2020.  

The Canboys bought the hype hardest, no doubt. When the scale of the issue was revealed which even they couldn't ignore they jumped on the Sony on the basis of one video as you say.  

All very obvious and revealing. Classic diversionary tactics because their god had been dethroned soo quickly.

Personally I wish the R6 didn't have the issues, pretty much perfect for me if it didn't. I prefer the 20M, AF and Canon usability experience over the Sony's - though it looks like they've improved this iteration.  

1 minute ago, gt3rs said:

You joined 2 weeks ago 89 posts and not a single valuable one..... enough said.

You didn't answer on the drilling - did it work or did you brick it? Shame to invalidate the weather sealing, but if gets you a few more mins recording this could be the life saver! 

24 minutes ago, androidlad said:

Someone dissembled R5 and found barely any heatsink and shockingly there was no TIM (thermal paste).

FcB4X4K.jpg

Oh dear. What are Canon playing at this is school boy stuff and so unlike them, it's as if they rushed it out with eye catching specs trying to catch everyones attention for an Olympics that isn't even happening this year

1 hour ago, Nezza said:

A Canboy on another forum (you can probably guess) was suggesting drilling holes in the R5 to help cooling.

Drilling holes in your brand new 4+ grand camera...

Nothing wrong with that if it solves the problem. I have drilled a hole in a new 3-grand camera in the past with zero regrets.

1 hour ago, androidlad said:

Someone dissembled R5 and found barely any heatsink and shockingly there was no TIM (thermal paste).

FcB4X4K.jpg

thats very interesting, I wonder if there can be DIY solutions then. Like the hinge door on the pocket camera's. Very lame of Canon offcourse, not sure what they will do next. If they didnt do it for the R5, I dont think they will release a mirrorless camera in the few coming years that doesnt overheat. 

from canon rumors

There has obviously been more talk about how quickly the Canon EOS R6 and Canon EOS R5 overheat when recording video, especially when shooting 8K or 4K60p (along with other framerates). The second issue a lot of videographers have is how long the cameras need to cool down once they reach an overheating threshold.

So is Canon going to do anything about it?

I think so, and I’ve been talking to a few sources and reading between the lines a bit. Canon released its first statement about the heat concerns back on July 16 and has been relatively silent since.

I have been told that Canon is actively working on solutions to increase record times and reduce cooldown times. What those solutions are is unknown at this point. I imagine part of it is firmware, but are they also looking at a hardware fix?

I have no been told a couple of times that the 2nd allocation of camera bodies will be delayed. Adorama told me it was going to be a significant delay, but that they didn’t know why or how long the delay would be.

A reader I was chatting with on the Canon Rumors discord server was having an unrelated issue with the EOS R5 and was sent this by the Canon Store support.

“The R5 was sold out within hours after launch. The next shipment is expected this November“

6 minutes ago, Leica50mm said:

from canon rumors

There has obviously been more talk about how quickly the Canon EOS R6 and Canon EOS R5 overheat when recording video, especially when shooting 8K or 4K60p (along with other framerates). The second issue a lot of videographers have is how long the cameras need to cool down once they reach an overheating threshold.

So is Canon going to do anything about it?

I think so, and I’ve been talking to a few sources and reading between the lines a bit. Canon released its first statement about the heat concerns back on July 16 and has been relatively silent since.

I have been told that Canon is actively working on solutions to increase record times and reduce cooldown times. What those solutions are is unknown at this point. I imagine part of it is firmware, but are they also looking at a hardware fix?

I have no been told a couple of times that the 2nd allocation of camera bodies will be delayed. Adorama told me it was going to be a significant delay, but that they didn’t know why or how long the delay would be.

A reader I was chatting with on the Canon Rumors discord server was having an unrelated issue with the EOS R5 and was sent this by the Canon Store support.

“The R5 was sold out within hours after launch. The next shipment is expected this November“

November, what the... 
I want a camera lying around on my desk asap...

Also from Canon Rumours:

An anonymous communication yesterday let me know that “Canon is working on multiple solutions and will have a full statement and plan in the coming weeks.”

Shame Canon didn't work on those multiple solutions before they decided to charge customers thousands for a product they knew was flawed. Sucks to have one from the first batch.