Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

There is the Metabones EF-R mount Speed Booster which could be interesting on the EOS R5 in crop mode.

There is very little information on the crop mode out there.   The R5 manual is not much help.  What I have gathered about this mode from around the internet is:

-It is not supposed to overheat per the official Canon heat sheet.  And it has no time cap other than standard 30 minute cut off.  

-Log will work with this mode and its supposed to be 10 bit (although not 100% confirmed on that).

-It is based off a 5.1k sensor oversample

-Works for 24 and 30p.   

What I  have not seen anywhere is any actually footage of this mode.

I am not proficient in sensor area math, but the .71 of the Metabones adapter would make it a 1.15 crop like the RP? 

Also it is being rumored that Canon itself will have announce an "R" speed booster in the next couple months.  

Autofocus.  AF speed is properly adjusted to account for and leverage the shorter focal length and the brighter maximum aperture.

Dual-pixel autofocus (DPAF) and video AF support.

Focal length and aperture are adjusted in EXIF (see note 3).

Image stabilization (IS) lens support.

Store EXIF data (lens name, focal length and maximum/minimum aperture) for one manual lens in the adapter.

Build-in multi-function Control Wheel (turn/ push-in) for assignable functions(eg. ISO, shutter speed or aperture control, depth-of-field preview).

LED indicator shows communication status. 

Powered by camera body. With most lenses, no external power source required.

source

With Tilta's cooling workaround, I know I will end to buy one...

Canon is like Blackmagic to digital filmmaker, it is synonymous of the world of pictures itself ; )

BTW we're shooting three short films and a feature film from a C500 these days, works like a charm! : -)

6 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Autofocus.  AF speed is properly adjusted to account for and leverage the shorter focal length and the brighter maximum aperture.

Store EXIF data (lens name, focal length and maximum/minimum aperture) for one manual lens in the adapter.

Build-in multi-function Control Wheel (turn/ push-in) for assignable functions(eg. ISO, shutter speed or aperture control, depth-of-field preview).

source

Canon is like Blackmagic to digital filmmaker, it is synonymous of the world of pictures itself ; )

BTW we're shooting three short films and a feature film from a C500 these days, works like a charm! : -)

meh def going the canon EF-RF adapter with builtin ND, if overheating isnt an issue for me. 

I'm pretty excited by the possibility of shooting 8K Raw video and doing stills and motion all at once . With DPAF, Raw and Image stabilization,   I think the stills from 8K raw are going to be very nice . Shooting higher than 180 shutter and smoothing in post is a break through at least for me.  I'm enjoying it already very much on 1dxmkiii already. 

4 hours ago, Emanuel said:

source

In Tilta we trust.

2 hours ago, Responder said:

Now with the R5 we saw very limited availability for influencers, while Sony did a far better job getting the a7siii into more people’s hands and thus getting more airtime and video. So Sony clearly learned here from Canons playbook while Canon has taken a stumble with the hypebeast - question is can they get up and recover?

A fair summary. The Canon fanboys are having to work super hard to defend the indefensible. Canon missed the mark and they can't bare it. 

Trying to justify the addition of a third party cooling device (that probably won't work) so they can shoot video for more than 15 minutes. Ridiculous.

Meanwhile the Sony has largely been well received. Fanboys gonna fanboy - was ever thus.

35 minutes ago, Nezza said:

A fair summary. The Canon fanboys are having to work super hard to defend the indefensible. Canon missed the mark and they can't bare it. 

Trying to justify the addition of a third party cooling device (that probably won't work) so they can shoot video for more than 15 minutes. Ridiculous.

Meanwhile the Sony has largely been well received. Fanboys gonna fanboy - was ever thus.

Or an umbrella for the A7S III to shield from sun also a bit ridiculous....... 

5 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Or an umbrella for the A7S III to shield from sun also a bit ridiculous....... 

Who said that? You plus a random off the internet? Hardly conclusive evidence. The vast majority of the reviews thus far have said the Sony has better thermal management than Canon's. Desperate stuff to pretend otherwise.

Careful getting that beard trapped in the fan on a 4 grand 'top of the line' camera to get you another 2 minutes recording time.

Interesting how you seem to conveniently omit the testings where the A7S3 shut done BEFORE the R5.

Whos the fanboy now?

BOTH cameras overheat, albeit the R5 more systematically whereas the Sony seems more unpredictable depending on sunlight, temp and codec settings.

The R5 has a LQ « safety » mode that in theory never overheats. More tests need to be done there.

10 minutes ago, Django said:

Interesting how you seem to conveniently omit the testings where the A7S3 shut done BEFORE the R5.

In one 'review' where he didn't state what thermal management settings were set? Okay fanboy you wanted the Canon to deliver and it missed badly - I get it.

You mean the R5 4K LQ 'safety' mode that produces shitty footage? 4+ grand well spent. 

The R5 overheats worse than the Sony. This is not difficult stuff, only a fanboy pretends otherwise.

• Administrators

You can't trust any Sony A7S III test where the reviewer doesn't realise that you need to set the temp cut off to high in the menus.

And you can't trust any reviewer who reviews a camera without knowing how to use it!

I am keeping my R5 order, but not seeing myself selling my GH5 any time soon. Having tried the R5 slightly, it seems like the best stills camera on the market, which shouldnt be ignored. It will also be great for whenever i need video autofocus, which in many cases will be more important than having the highest IQ recording options available. The s35 mode crop might be good enough if i have to use it. The Sony is not an option since i have lots of EF glass and I need a capable stills camera.

I dont put much faith in peltier element based cooling as they are notoriously inefficient. A fan or fan+heat sink might be worth it though 

1 minute ago, Nezza said:

In one 'review' where he didn't state what thermal management settings were set? Okay fanboy you wanted the Canon to deliver and it missed badly - I get it.

You mean the R5 4K LQ 'safety' mode that produces shitty footage? 4+ grand well spent. 

The R5 overheats worse than the Sony. This is not difficult stuff.

A7S III is a very good camera but has is own set of issues like overheating under the sun, unusable ibis for video, less detailed 4k than even the A7 III, R5, R6....

R5 has this big issue with overheating that is probably more an issue than the A7S but who knows..... I for one do a lot of shooting under the sun in summer and really cold in winter and probably both camera gives issue....

If after 30 min under the sun A7S III cannot shoot in any mode then R5 is a safer solution as you can go good details s35 crop or low details 4k LQ..... but personally I find both are bad in this regards....

2 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

You can't trust any Sony A7S III test where the reviewer doesn't realise that you need to set the temp cut off to high in the menus.

And you can't trust any reviewer who reviews a camera without knowing how to use it!

In his second test he did went through all the suggestions including setting to high, but yeah man was never on the moon:

image.thumb.png.049727cf0eb04151379b7976359916b8.png

16 minutes ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

I dont put much faith in peltier element based cooling as they are notoriously inefficient. A fan or fan+heat sink might be worth it though 

Somebody experienced with peltiers said you have to put 20 watts in to get 1 watt out, very inefficient. 

An R5 owner seen earlier.

.giphy.gif

34 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

he did change that in his second test though. gave it another 5 minutes or so.