Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

DR should be tested with the clog3 update. But sony could still have more DR, as that is one area where they are ahead of the competition, so would be surprised if canon out of the blue came up with a new 8K sensor that trumps even sony's sensors. 

I'll wait it out. No point in getting things now if they're already talking about making fixes, I'm in no rush.

13 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

I suspect that in the entire history of cameras, there has never been as much hype, followed by pre-orders, followed by hysteria, followed by cancelled pre-orders...before a camera has actually gone on sale to the public as there has been with these two firebrands 😂

Its been an emotional roller coaster LOL! Too much time working form home.

1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

I suspect that in the entire history of cameras, there has never been as much hype, followed by pre-orders, followed by hysteria, followed by cancelled pre-orders...before a camera has actually gone on sale to the public as there has been with these two firebrands 😂

What with Blackmagic giving us 12K, Canon 8K and Sony 10bit 4K finally, plus they're offering 120fps 4K as well; these are crazy times...  So many new cameras with crazy specs to tempt us... 

And yet thanks to Covid, I'm so broke, I can't even buy a Panasonic G100 if I wanted to.  (Which I don't).  This year has been weird and crazy... 

Who'd have thought we'd be talking now about Canon cameras overheating and Sony being the more reliable camera for filming...  

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Mustafa Ali said:

I was asking if it can do 5.1k downsampled 4k without a crop with a possible firmware update. 

And I told you.

No it isn't.

5 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Welcome to the internet!

2 hours ago, Mustafa Ali said:

I was asking if it can do 5.1k downsampled 4k without a crop with a possible firmware update. 

7 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

And I told you.

No it isn't.

Welcome to the internet!

Andrew, you are of course correct that the 5.1k comes with the crop and would be an expensive R in many ways.  However, at least for me the real dissatisfaction with the R5 is that there is no really useful 4K option.  The HQ 4K lasts only minutes and the regular 4K is mush.   If the crop mode was a good 5.1k oversample and had no overheating then with the metabones speed booster I could approximate full frame, while having a camera that can flex to real full frame, have 8k,  and 120 etc..  And unlike the regular R I get 10 bit internal and IBIS.    I always found the R files to have very thin color.  

Obviously not an ideal situation, and Canon should have done this the right way.   I have tried Sony and just can't love the colors.  I have tried Fuji (X-H1) and like them but still missed full frame and found their lenses a little strange for video.   I have an investment in Canon lenses.  My favorite image of all time is the 1DC which I still have.  All I have wanted for years is a 1DC image with IBIS, autofocus and a flip out screen.   What I am trying to figure out is if there is even a franken-adapter sppedbooster way to get the R5 to approximate that, as its the closest contender yet.   No one has posted any of the cropped mode footage however.  

Well I finally gave up hope that Canon would announce a way to mitigate/reduce the heat issue and reduce the recovery times so I just cancelled my R5 order.  I applaud them for being ambitious enough to try after years of abysmal video in their cameras, but I'm sure this will just push other companies to just release incremental updates after their heat issue.  I'm just underwhelmed by A7SIII since I've been spoiled by my NX1 and can't deal with the 12MP stills.  I haven't been blown away by my A7III and it's been relegated for stills and only B-CAM video shots, but I guess the future A7IV will best suit my needs as a hybrid camera, I'm guessing it will do 4K 60P and oversampled 4K 30 from a 24MP+ sensor.  That and the new Sony codecs will have to suffice even with their crappy IBIS & less than stellar skin tones, don't know how much longer the NX1 is going to last.  Just don't see any other companies getting their act together.

Dammit Canon....That R5 with the RF 50 1.2 would have been so perfect.  

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Nautical said:

Andrew, you are of course correct that the 5.1k comes with the crop and would be an expensive R in many ways.  However, at least for me the real dissatisfaction with the R5 is that there is no really useful 4K option.  The HQ 4K lasts only minutes and the regular 4K is mush.   If the crop mode was a good 5.1k oversample and had no overheating then with the metabones speed booster I could approximate full frame, while having a camera that can flex to real full frame, have 8k,  and 120 etc..  And unlike the regular R I get 10 bit internal and IBIS.    I always found the R files to have very thin color.  

Obviously not an ideal situation, and Canon should have done this the right way.   I have tried Sony and just can't love the colors.  I have tried Fuji (X-H1) and like them but still missed full frame and found their lenses a little strange for video.   I have an investment in Canon lenses.  My favorite image of all time is the 1DC which I still have.  All I have wanted for years is a 1DC image with IBIS, autofocus and a flip out screen.   What I am trying to figure out is if there is even a franken-adapter sppedbooster way to get the R5 to approximate that, as its the closest contender yet.   No one has posted any of the cropped mode footage however.  

There is the Metabones EF-R mount Speed Booster which could be interesting on the EOS R5 in crop mode.

4 hours ago, DWX said:

Well I finally gave up hope that Canon would announce a way to mitigate/reduce the heat issue and reduce the recovery times so I just cancelled my R5 order.  I applaud them for being ambitious enough to try after years of abysmal video in their cameras, but I'm sure this will just push other companies to just release incremental updates after their heat issue.  I'm just underwhelmed by A7SIII since I've been spoiled by my NX1 and can't deal with the 12MP stills.  I haven't been blown away by my A7III and it's been relegated for stills and only B-CAM video shots, but I guess the future A7IV will best suit my needs as a hybrid camera, I'm guessing it will do 4K 60P and oversampled 4K 30 from a 24MP+ sensor.  That and the new Sony codecs will have to suffice even with their crappy IBIS & less than stellar skin tones, don't know how much longer the NX1 is going to last.  Just don't see any other companies getting their act together.

Dammit Canon....That R5 with the RF 50 1.2 would have been so perfect.  

I think you made a wise decision, I've decided to just sit this round out. I'm sticking with my 5DIV, C200, GH5 combo with no expectations of there being a truly good hybrid camera this time around. My last hope is for Panasonic to release a GH6 so that I can upgrade my GH5 but that will be for video only, so still not a hybrid. Maybe in 2yrs or so Canon will release a Mark II, I can't imagine them letting a disaster like this hang around for 4yrs, and hopefully by that time the world will have returned to normal as well.

15 minutes ago, ade towell said:

If you've got full frame lenses already I would say the Panasonic S1 is an upgrade on the Gh5 so far as colour (full varicam log), DR, low light are concerned. Is bigger though 

I have a GH5 and my biggest problems with the idea of the S1 is:

• 30 Min recording limit - the GH5 has none
  • L Mount - expensive lenses with limited selection
  • Battery Problems - multiple reports of battery problems with the S series batteries
  • AF - You pay significantly more for the S system yet still no useable AF
  • Crop - I shoot almost exclusively 4K60 when using a gimbal, the S1 has an APS-C crop at this frame rate which means you will need a wider lens to overcome it, it would be very annoying to have to switch lenses just to switch frame rates.
  • Cost - For me the cost of buying into the L Mount just to get better color and DR were not worth the downsides and the marginal quality increase over my GH5

17 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Fair enough I presumed you used your ef lenses with an adaptor on gh5 and could do the same on the S1. I again presumed you used the Canons when you needed good AF. Anyway sorry for the derail, back to the overheating

I hate adapters, if that's the only way to use a camera I don't buy it. I use all manual MFT Voigtlander F0.95 lenses...amazing M4/3 lenses for 95% of my GH5 work. 

But back to overheating, I think Canon will not be able to live with this much bad press, the only ones who will spend $4K on their R5 will be stills shooters and if a stills only camera sold that well they would have created one, and for still only shooters the EOS R which is significantly cheaper would probably do perfectly fine. I think either Canon will release an H version like the S1H with a bigger body and cooling system, or they will go the typical Canon route and release an XC form factor with the R5 sensor and specs yet it will be useless for photography.

All they needed to do was release the R5 or R6 with the A7SIII's video specs and no overheating and I would have pre-ordered for the first time ever. The part that Canon seems to have completely forgotten is that their largest fan base is a group of shooters who have been using big 5D bodies for years, we don't care if the R5 is a bigger body as long as it is reliable.

The canon R5 manual does state that the camera does not overheat in 4K 30fps (not high quality). Was anybody able to verify this already? As this solves my problem atleast.
Also how to record audio on this thing? Like a xlr mkh-416, run it through a zoom h6 and then in the minijack? That is one thing sony did a great job on though with their A7S III and the S1H as well, too bad canon didnt think this through..  

4 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

The canon R5 manual does state that the camera does not overheat in 4K 30fps (not high quality). Was anybody able to verify this already? As this solves my problem atleast. 

Did not find anyone that mention it overheated in that mode but with the "YT speed of light reviews" how can you trust....
Also in crop modes it should not overheat.....

In term of sharpness/artifacts 4k FF LQ < 4k Crop < 4k HQ < 8k RAW.... the A7S III seems similar to 4k Crop but less noisy...

On RS the only test that I saw the R5 had a faster RS than the A7S III is 4k 30 but they guy did not remember if it was HQ or LQ (my guess is LQ). Why nobody is checking this out at least compare all the mode is like a 10 min work?

My biggest fear is that if you use it as photo for  a while you cannot use the advanced video modes... but need to see more people experience and also trying things like 60fps vs 120fps EVF refresh rate and so on....

12 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Even if the "regular" 4K doesn't overheat... You're gonna pay $4K for line skipped 4K30p?

I would pay 4k for 45mpix, 20fps photo camera even if does not shoot video..... if I only would shoot video I would not buy a R5 but probably I would go for a cinema camera....

The big question is how usable is in doing both?

Having 4k30 crop or LQ is a mitigation in case that a few times the camera will overheats so you can still capture what is needed but if the camera overheats every time in your normal usage then is not a camera to buy.

The problem is the generalization of normal usage it is so different.... people doing mostly corporate interviews, then the weeding guys, then the action/sport ones, the narrative one etc...