Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

3 minutes ago, Caleb Genheimer said:

Catching up on this thread and now I’m sad again that my NX1 is dead, and that Samsung exited the market. Their AF actually rivaled Canon’s, unlike everyone else’s.

Like Andrew pointed out many times. I find it hilarious Samsung had basically the R5 in 2014 and they exited the market.

Are the camera companies that far behind, the margins that tight, they can’t move their tech forward? It’s going at a snails fucking pace.

All it would take is for them to invest once to get their chips on the latest and smallest manufacturing nodes...embrace heat pipes and *shocking* clever heat sinks.

It is a fucking conspiracy.

13 minutes ago, Nezza said:

The comments on dpreview Canon forum

Those people are delusional. One guy is mad because Gerald used the words “More bad news for the R5”. He’s an idiot.

Tons of people with their head in the sand.

It doesn’t help that people like Armando are releasing straight up misinformation about the capabilities of the camera and doing their best to downplay the overheating issues. Canon went all in marketing this as a hybrid video beast. Armando and others using it in a shooting setting more suited for EOS cinema cameras.

The Sony A7SIII is going to spank this thing with the mere ability to record video after shooting 50 stills in an hour. LOL

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Like Andrew pointed out many times. I find it hilarious Samsung had basically the R5 in 2014 and they exited the market.

Are the camera companies that far behind, the margins that tight, they can’t move their tech forward? It’s going at a snails fucking pace.

All it would take is for them to invest once to get their chips on the latest and smallest manufacturing nodes...embrace heat pipes and *shocking* clever heat sinks.

It is a fucking conspiracy.

Those people are delusional. One guy is mad because Gerald used the words “More bad news for the R5”. He’s an idiot.

Tons of people with their head in the sand.

It doesn’t help that people like Armando are releasing straight up misinformation about the capabilities of the camera and doing their best to downplay the overheating issues. Canon went all in marketing this as a hybrid video beast. Armando and others using it in a shooting setting more suited for EOS cinema cameras.

The Sony A7SIII is going to spank this thing with the mere ability to record video after shooting 50 stills in an hour. LOL

Ugh. If Blackmagic would just resurrect that NX1 sensor in a Pocket cam with that AF and BRaw, I’d honestly be happy. In a smaller/hybrid camera, that’s what I want. It’s for putting on a single handle gimbal, pointing and shooting. If I want cine style with a focus puller, rails and a full setup, I’ll use a cine cam no problem... don’t care about AF in that case. But on these small cams? Bad AF kills the usability within their obvious use-cases, and crappy codecs kill the good vibes.

But crippling it won’t make me buy anything from their cinema line because I and thousands of others want/need a hybrid and not a dedicated cinema camera...so Canon just force us to not to buy any of their products.

2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Its just Canon intentionally crippling their cameras so people will buy their higher end EOS line. Though the crippling seems quite insane at this point. I guess we were all idiots for thinking Canon made a 180. 

I didn't! I always believed in Canon's ability to fuck things up! 

So A7S3 specs have leaked and plot twist: it will also overheat and has a thermal cutoff..

" One focus of the camera is video recording. Unlike Canon with the EOS R5, Sony does not use 8K for video, but continues to use 4K, which is said to achieve the best results so far with an alpha camera. The sensor’s 12 MP resolution enables a full-pixel readout without pixel binning and without crop up to 4K / 60p. In this setting, the recording limit should be one hour without overheatingthe EOS R5 only manages 30 minutes at 4K / 60p. The video recording of the Alpha 7S III in 4K / 120p mode is limited to this length – by the way, a slight crop is used (1.1x).S "

i.e.

A7S3 FF no crop 4K60p is rated at 60mn & 4K120p = 30mn

Better on paper than R5 but how will it play out in real world situations? hopefully we get an answer tomorrow with the hands-on.

13 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Maybe they should've tested that in the original video they released before saying it didn't? 🤔

That's shambolic. I hope they do an update with a disclaimer to all the people they tricked with their first review making it out like it was ok, myself included.

19 hours ago, ajay said:

This very well explains why the GH5S never had in-body IS. The data rate off the sensor is too high to prevent overheating with an in-body IS sensor. It doesn't overheat because the sensor is heat-sinked. All these manufacturers are doing juggling acts to keep their camera sensors from overheating due to high data rates.

Black Magic and Z Cam use the same sensor and also no in-body IS.

Wrong.

No IBIS because the sensor was oversized. You couldn't use IBIS because the sensor already is at the limits of the image circle, and there is no where for the image to move.

10 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

Some more overheating times and tests with comparison of video shooting modes: 

Curiously does not test the standard 4k mode of the r5 against the a7riv. But all the other modes compare favorably for low light and detail. 

So far haven't seen anyone test the Crop video mode on either R5/R6, R5 on cropped will have higher quality than FF normal mode

59 minutes ago, Django said:

So A7S3 specs have leaked and plot twist: it will also overheat and has a thermal cutoff..

" One focus of the camera is video recording. Unlike Canon with the EOS R5, Sony does not use 8K for video, but continues to use 4K, which is said to achieve the best results so far with an alpha camera. The sensor’s 12 MP resolution enables a full-pixel readout without pixel binning and without crop up to 4K / 60p. In this setting, the recording limit should be one hour without overheatingthe EOS R5 only manages 30 minutes at 4K / 60p. The video recording of the Alpha 7S III in 4K / 120p mode is limited to this length – by the way, a slight crop is used (1.1x).S "

i.e.

A7S3 FF no crop 4K60p is rated at 60mn & 4K120p = 30mn

Better on paper than R5 but how will it play out in real world situations? hopefully we get an answer tomorrow with the hands-on.

The bigger issue will be how long you have to wait AFTER it overheats (and also if shooting stills beofre hand reduces recording time.).

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

Some more overheating times and tests with comparison of video shooting modes: 

Curiously does not test the standard 4k mode of the r5 against the a7riv. But all the other modes compare favorably for low light and detail. 

Please keep that shit head off my forum.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Please keep that shit head off my forum.

Hey Andrew, I recently stumbled upon his videos too, and didn't find them too bad. Wondering is there a reason why people dislike him or does he give out fake news of some sort ? Just curious. Thanks!