Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

5 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

I know, what I mean is that seems to be a suitable solution. 

Right. They played it smartly. Why didn't Canon do the same is anyone's guess.

I'm wondering how the A7SIII will play? It's is a less mp sensor which should be easier to keep cool but wonder if the in-body stabilization may be nothing more than gyroscope meta data that's used to stabilize in post. Like the FX9.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 7/25/2020 at 10:24 AM, wolf33d said:

The exemples in your article are absolutely pointless. You say the overheating scandale is like if a car would overheat and stops on the highway so you compare features that exist in any competition product for dozens of year (a car going on the highway, all cars can do that) with a ground breaking features of the R5 that exist nowhere on the market. No camera this size and price in the world today shoots 4K120P full frame 10 bit 422. It’s unheard off.
A7RIV, the Sony flagship, does not overheat because its only video mode is the R5 normal 4K mode, which doesn’t overheat at all, yet on top the Canon has 10 bits and still beats BY FAR the A7RIV with just the non overheating normal 4K mode (10 bits, better ibis, better colors, better ergonomics). 
So to take your exemple, it’s like having the best car on the market on most points, and have an extra bonus boost mode that gives you 0-100kmh in one second but only usable for 20min. 
Guess what? It exists and it’s called Ludicrous mode on tesla, a $20K option and that overheats the car after a few accelerations.... Nobody sued Tesla and people paid for that option on the Model S.

Maybe no one else is making a camera with these specs because they don’t want to damage their own reputation by shipping a camera that so readily bricks when shooting or merely even switching to video.  One user, Gerald Undone, mentions that he merely shot about 30-40 pics for an hour in 30 deg heat, and then he switched to video and immediately got an overheating warning.  That’s pathetic.  And I can appreciate why Andrew Reid is claiming they’re opening themselves up to Lawsuits and similar based on false advertising.  There going to take a beating with consumer confidence too.  Lol, they’re already losing confidence from this.   And it’s just the Beginning. 

I think a lot of casual shooters even work like Gerald Undone.  Take pics for a bit then switch to video.  So the announced video limits aren’t what many people will encounter in normal hybrid applications.  They’re best case (Lab) scenarios.  

heh.  Apple got sued and settled a class action for iPhone batteries merely not lasting well after a couple years.   And Apple also replaced batteries at a Large discount.  This issue seems so much worse than that and it affects brand new cameras.  

How much are they charging for those Tilta things?

I cut of the top of my small drinks cooler (just have to tidy it up so a camera fits flat on the metal plate).

It is after all just a small fan with a peltier cooler and while it hardly cools a drink it does actually work (and it still works upside down if you put it flat on a camera and hold it to it with a rubber band).

At least now I can use it to cool slightly things other than a single drinks can.

Have to see if I can find a cheap thermometer now to test it with my RX100 IV.

DSC00586.jpg

Can you imagine the R5 with a cooling system like the S1H that wouldn't overheat? Canon could have raised the price by $100 and included an active cooling system into that camera and I'd still have one on order! What were they thinking?

I'm skeptical about the Tilta cooling system. You need to keep the sensor cool somehow. I saw on Canon Rumors that Canon actually has a patent on an actively cooled R adapter. That seems more appropriate as it would be in-line with the front of the camera where the sensor is located. Of course you could only use it on older EF mount lenses but that seems like a smarter move. Cool the front of the camera not the rear.

Can you turn off IBIS on the R5?

Also, is the S1H - weatherproof??? I mean can you stand under the rain for any period of time? Just a question, not making a critical remark about S1H - in fact, I like that camera - it is Netflix approved afterall.

for me, I basically need a b-cam that I can shoot 50 or so 10-20 second clips in 4k60 over the course of an hour or two. Having a hard time figuring out if this will actually workout or not. Now I'm reading the 4k60p is the low quality mode? lolllllllllll wtf. and if i have to keep it in 4k cropped mode why even buy this over a 1dx m2

7 minutes ago, gethin said:

Well that's buggered it for me then.  If the $7k didn't already.  We get the odd 40 degree day here.  

I think that was the final straw for a lot of people considering the R5.

His review should be coming later today.

If you haven’t already check out his YouTube channel. Very detailed, non BS reviews.

I have to admit I’m pretty gutted by that. As a long time Canon shooter I was really hoping R5 was going to be the one.

But in no way can I trust a camera that will not even shoot a second of over sampled 4K video after an hour of shooting stills. That’s just utterly ridiculous.

Hopefully Canon can fix that in firmware because I think that’s going to be a deal breaker for a lot of people! 

The Behiri video on C5D said that he only switched on the camera with a monitor attached. And that caused severe overheating. Which means that merely switching on the camera causes it to start heating up. Which is completely contrary to random claims that it can shoot Regular 4k at 24p unlimited or some other BS. 

As long as the camera is on, it is overheating. 

36 minutes ago, sanveer said:

The Behiri video on C5D said that he only switched on the camera with a monitor attached. And that caused severe overheating. Which means that merely switching on the camera causes it to start heating up. Which is completely contrary to random claims that it can shoot Regular 4k at 24p unlimited or some other BS. 

As long as the camera is on, it is overheating. 

Taking stills and shooting in pixel-binned 4K shouldn’t brick the camera.

However it apparently does heat it up enough that the 8K/HQ modes can’t operate after some point.

This behavior seems odd and perhaps a pre-production issue. Which is why I suggested there is perhaps a slim chance Canon fixes that particular issue in firmware.

Not trying to defend Canon, if they aren’t able to fix that then it’s going to be a deal breaker for many, including myself.

2 hours ago, Django said:

I have to admit I’m pretty gutted by that. As a long time Canon shooter I was really hoping R5 was going to be the one.

But in no way can I trust a camera that will not even shoot a second of over sampled 4K video after an hour of shooting stills. That’s just utterly ridiculous.

Hopefully Canon can fix that in firmware because I think that’s going to be a deal breaker for a lot of people! 

If using as photo camera for a while  will hinder the possibility to use the HQ modes is a big problem. I'm ok that I cannot roll for 1h 8K or 120 but I'm not ok that I can roll only if the camera was not in use and after 30 min is useless. This is not good.

I'm ok with limits for my b cam but not if it become a guess work..... 

One use case that I have is that the camera is in position as remote and I will start and stop recording for 30 sec  and then a break of 5 min and so one for 1h.... now if it overheats just staying there switched on is useless